Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2018, 11:24 AM

12,918 posts, read 16,865,381 times

Advertisements

It's sickening the way that intellectuals have such little regard for the religious people who do all the work that sustains them. The planting and gathering in the fields. The building and construction of their homes and workplaces. The building of roads and digging of ditches.

But this work is not important because it's all being done by superstitious sub-human creatures who don't matter.

Life is pretty easy when you can do whatever you want to do through a phone app. It's like literally speaking your own world into existence.

Last edited by OzzyRules; 04-08-2018 at 11:33 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2018, 11:39 AM

...They bring you all the food you need. Like an offering.

Old 04-08-2018, 01:18 PM

50,809 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
It's sickening the way that intellectuals have such little regard for the religious people who do all the work that sustains them. The planting and gathering in the fields. The building and construction of their homes and workplaces. The building of roads and digging of ditches.

But this work is not important because it's all being done by superstitious sub-human creatures who don't matter.

Life is pretty easy when you can do whatever you want to do through a phone app. It's like literally speaking your own world into existence.
I've seen plenty of construction workers who are pretty low life. And others who are good people.
There are farmers who could care less that fertilizer from their fields is draining into the local water supply.

Your premise is simply the stereotype that all people who claim to be good Christians are actually good Christians.

Old 04-08-2018, 04:18 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,723,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I've seen plenty of construction workers who are pretty low life. And others who are good people.
There are farmers who could care less that fertilizer from their fields is draining into the local water supply.

Your premise is simply the stereotype that all people who claim to be good Christians are actually good Christians.
It's more of a canard than that. It's ...some fallacy I can't think of....because most of the people do the work which allows us the decent lifestyle we have and most of them are Christians, it's disgraceful that atheists 'Thank Them' by attacking their beliefs.

I have to laugh at the sheer impudence of this, but I can't quite place the fallacy.
Quote:
It's equally ridiculous for people thinking they are morally superior because they happen to live in a region with less criminal activity.

Why is it? Wouldn't the evidence suggest that? 'Ridiculous' sounds like a facile way of dismissing unwelcome evidence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
Beautifully expressed, all of it, but I especially love the part I bolded.

Ain't that the truth. So much energy and time in my life wasted trying not to do anything that might displease God, only to find out it was men, not God, making the rules, and most of them purely out of fear.
Oh yes. The religious 'you just want to sin' argument was always false. Being able to indulge in debauch, drunkenness and dilatoriness is a fringe benefit of atheism, not the rationale. Arach gets that right, though combining it with a habitual bash of atheists who deny the 'basic god' that he evidently is coming to believe in.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 04-08-2018 at 04:30 PM..

Old 04-08-2018, 05:18 PM

17,795 posts, read 13,692,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post

Oh yes. The religious 'you just want to sin' argument was always false. Being able to indulge in debauch, drunkenness and dilatoriness is a fringe benefit of atheism, not the rationale.
Yes but debauching, drunkenness, and dilatoriness could stand on their own even if they were the rationale.

Shoot, just being able to sleep in on Sunday morning justifies being an atheist.

Old 04-08-2018, 05:29 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,580,220 times
Quote:

his overall premise is that good people are good people. atheists or otherwise. I see the anti-religious denomination of atheism preaching about how much better our belief statement about god is. i don't necessarily agree. They really mean "if your anti-religious youre a good atheist".

i kind of agree with him on his premise, although this post went sideways a little on him I think. Having happy trash men is very important. They do a service for us all and are important. Maybe even more important than me.

And i agree with you, their are very "smart" people polluting for personal gain and don't much care about god one way or another.

Old 04-08-2018, 05:42 PM

It's wrong to blame things like the racism in the US south on religion. The intellectuals in the northern states might not have been as outwardly racist as the southerners, but they didn't live in a region where the tropical plantations were used. The north got just as much benefit from the slave system as anyone else in the US. They just didn't have to see it up close.

Old 04-08-2018, 07:46 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,383,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
I think I would say "If we are going to think about an "unseen" lets use a "seen" to try and describe it."

for example, some great lake indian tribe described an island formation as being done by a giant beaver.
Yeah, they were dead wrong, the point is they did not pick a bunny rabbit.

does that make sense hep?
You are a bunny rabbit to ME!
It makes sense to me if to no one else.

Old 04-08-2018, 08:15 PM

50,809 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
It's wrong to blame things like the racism in the US south on religion. The intellectuals in the northern states might not have been as outwardly racist as the southerners, but they didn't live in a region where the tropical plantations were used. The north got just as much benefit from the slave system as anyone else in the US. They just didn't have to see it up close.
MANY churches the south condoned and even supported the institution of slavery. If you think that's not true, then you explain to me why the Southern Baptist Convention in 1995 apologized for the church's extensive support of slavery and segregation.

Old 04-08-2018, 08:50 PM

Quote:
MANY churches the south condoned and even supported the institution of slavery. If you think that's not true, then you explain to me why the Southern Baptist Convention in 1995 apologized for the church's extensive support of slavery and segregation.
But it's almost like they were doing the "dirty work" for the rest of the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality