Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 06:14 PM

3,162 posts, read 11,437,580 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
That might sound like an odd question but when we've had conversations about the nature of the human soul people generally think that it's somehow linked to our physical body even though we can't detect it by any known means. We've also had discussions about near death experiences in which the soul leaves the body until the person is revived. So generally religious people believe that when our physical body dies the soul departs that body and goes wherever souls are supposed to go. So here's my question. What would happen to the soul of a person who was vaporized in an atomic blast at Hiroshima or instantly blown to pieces in an explosion? Does the soul just float away without a scratch? If that's the case is a human soul completely indestructable?
The soul is completely indestructible, nothing can harm her.

Ego or Pseudosoul is the projection of our human soul identified with the physical body and the senses.

Yoga is the art of deidentifying the soul with the physical body and the senses by retiring the soul's energy of the 5 senses by meditation.

An advanced yogi will feel his soul as a super strong current of energy vibrating in their spinal cord, he will also feel his chakras vibrating and prana (cosmic energy) running through his body, this state is usually reached with practice and constant meditation.

a person with this kind of perception can feel other's souls too.

Old 03-30-2008, 10:12 PM

8,568 posts, read 16,235,190 times
To me the soul and the conscience are one and the same.
I consider people with no conscience, (like serial killers) as people without a soul.

Old 03-31-2008, 02:18 AM

2,630 posts, read 4,940,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
Well,

I have a little bit of a deeper question. Quantum physics is making pretty bold claims on the ability to "teleport" photons. In fact, it's pretty widely recognizable within the quantum physics world that we should be able to teleport photons from any "Point A" to "Point B". I was listening to a radio talk show the other night in which a rather famous quantum physicist was saying that it would be theoretically possible given due time to teleport a human being. Every memory circuit, cell, neuron, etc... would all be able to be "teleported" if we had the computing power to account for every atom in the body. Given that, and let's say it is theoretically possible, and that there is indeed a soul, would the soul be teleported as well? Or would the "soul" just be a function of the neural circuits in the brain?

Beam me up: Just how close are we to teleportation? - CNN.com

Howstuffworks "Human Teleportation"

Of course, every time I think of teleportation I fail to think of Star Trek but rather Spaceballs in which Mel Brooks' butt was backwards following a teleportation procedure.
on a similar note:

Quantum suicide and immortality - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'm afraid that my concept of a soul has been corrupted by the words of Douglas R Hofstadter and lots of medical shows.

Old 03-31-2008, 11:34 AM

321 posts, read 920,867 times
Well, I'm fairly new here and on my own personal search for a spiritual connection. I've recently started learning about reincarnation which involves the soul. This is making sense to me. The soul is an energy force that inhabits the physical body, when the body dies the soul leaves and either returns to the universe or decides to cycle again in having a physical body - in other words we never really die. Since the soul is energy it only transfers from one place to another, doesn't get destroyed. It continues to be imprinted with the various energies (emotions, knowledge) of each life it participates in. Ever gone someplace you've never been before and yet you "feel" like your "home", or met someone new that you "feel" like you've "known" for years? This feeling is explained by past lives. This energy you can't touch but you can feel it sometimes - just walk into a prison and you can "feel" the negative energy, likewise walk into a Wiggles concert and you can "feel" the happy energy. It hits you like a wall.

Old 03-31-2008, 11:44 AM

790 posts, read 4,019,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
To me the soul and the conscience are one and the same.
I consider people with no conscience, (like serial killers) as people without a soul.
Do you mean consciousness? 'Cause consciousness and conscience are not one and the same.
Anyway .... Soul - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ... a pretty good page on the soul from varying religious/philisophical/spiritual perspectives.

Old 03-31-2008, 11:47 AM

2,238 posts, read 9,757,389 times
I don't believe in the existence of souls. When we die, there's no conscious or unconscious part of us that continues on -- we're simply dead. It takes your living body with its specific experiences, awareness, and chemical makeup to make the unique person that you are. When it quits, that unique entity is gone, never to return in any manner.

Old 03-31-2008, 11:51 AM

5,160 posts, read 9,173,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaminRed View Post
I don't believe in the existence of souls. When we die, there's no conscious or unconscious part of us that continues on -- we're simply dead. It takes your living body with its specific experiences, awareness, and chemical makeup to make the unique person that you are. When it quits, that unique entity is gone, never to return in any manner.
Recycled into the environment as just energy and matter.

Old 03-31-2008, 12:13 PM

2,630 posts, read 4,940,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haaziq View Post
Recycled into the environment as just energy and matter.
Stardust we were and stardust we will be.

Old 03-31-2008, 12:27 PM

790 posts, read 4,019,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaminRed View Post
You sound so certain. How is that? Just wondering.

Old 03-31-2008, 12:59 PM

5,160 posts, read 9,173,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubyskye View Post
You sound so certain. How is that? Just wondering.
I'll answer for her..

The brain is where memories are stored. If death is loss of consciousness, how can you take memories with you after you die?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality