Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2018, 07:09 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,242,084 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
What's there to mention? You either believe, or you don't. Anything in between is hypocrisy.

There's saying in the East - you can yell baklava all you want to, does not make it taste sweet in your mouth.
You can claim being believer of any "grade", does not make one out of you. You either are, or you are not.

Besides, who's to judge this anyway? That's strictly between object of faith and subject of that faith.
But if someone does not believe the same way another person believes?

Some believe dancing is sinful, rock music is evil and caffeine is blasphemous..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2018, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Ah! You mean the 'cherry-pickers.'
Was he talking about evangelicals??

Old 08-24-2018, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Moderate believers, "live and let live '' people?

Well, I call them "my friends"...

or sometimes, "normal".

I call evangelicals my friends too but rarely use that "N" word..

Old 08-24-2018, 07:18 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,757,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Yes, thats the word. They want the best of both worlds...they want to be able to call themselves a christian/ catholic, but also want to be part of the secular world, they do not want any type of conflict or anything that may risk the quality of their lifestyle being effected.

The many people like this that I know personally, the secular world comes first, if they are going to compromise, its going to be their religious beliefs,they will also go to great lengths to justify 'doing nothing'

Jesus warned that christians would be hated and despised by the world, just as he was...but if modern day christians are not doing or saying things that would make the secular world hate them, there is not going to be any hatred or persecution, as this type of person would not be a threat, if you notice the ones that are truly hated and despised, they are the type NOT to ever compromise or settle, in other words, they STAND UP for what they believe in, they ARE a threat.
That's a neat take on that passage. Thta's not what it's about, btw, but never mind. The average Christian won't buy it anyway. They will see it as Jesus assuring them that social martyrdom for their beliefs will earn them a free pardon from the death row that is the sentence for everyone for the unpardonable crime of existing.

But to get back to the moutons, I have said elsewhere that one can admire ..sorta...the unbending believer who will not compromise, like a man standing on the Titanic, refusing a place in a boat because he has been assured the ship is unsinkable. The analogy (1) will show that the 'admiration' is much less than thinking 'What a prat! Well, you can't do anything with him, so let him go down if he wants to'. We swimmers are more sympathetic to those who accept the fact (to batter the analogy into oblivion) that what they were told is wrong, and they'd better find a 'whatever floats you' boat.

(1) Not taken all the way, to a bunch of officers who will do all they can to prevent anyone leaving as this is contrary to their faith in the ship. And not anywhere near the first time one of the Unbending Authorities calls anyone who wants to leave a 'rat'.

Old 08-24-2018, 09:52 AM

50,881 posts, read 24,384,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
A new-ish friend (Kathy)was curious when she found out I am an atheist and it led to discussing religion which wasn't anything she'd really done. She just went along rather thoughtlessly with how ever she'd been brought up.
Eventually, she agreed that she did cherry pick and decided her brand of religion is Kathyism
This may be the kind of 'moderate' being referred to?
This is a very good point.

I think back to my grandmother, who was a Methodist. I never saw any evidence of thought about religion on her part. Going to church was just something you do, and if you don't, well it increased your chances of going to hell.

Same for all the relatives on my father's side of the family...all Catholics. I don't EVER remember a single discussion about beliefs. I remember gossip related to church goers. I remember, "We have to go to Mass on Thursday...it's a holy day of obligation". I remember complaining about the local priest who was a ham radio enthusiast, and as a result effected my uncle's television reception. I remember all types of Catholic ceremonies. But never talking about a religious concept. Heck, I remember my grandmother being furious when they changed the Mass to English...wanted the Latin back...which she didn't understand a word of.

It was 99% about how they were brought up or community expectations.

Old 08-24-2018, 09:54 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,868,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
I'd never though of C.S Lewis as a cafeteria Christian, but I have little doubt that he took the Jesus story (and resurrection) as fact.
Not Lewis old beast, the 'moderates'. The 'I believe the Bible is the word of god ...except for the parts I don't want to follow' types. Like BF for example.

Quote:
Yes, thats the word. They want the best of both worlds...they want to be able to call themselves a christian/ catholic, but also want to be part of the secular world, they do not want any type of conflict or anything that may risk the quality of their lifestyle being effected.
Like selling all their possessions and giving the money to the poor or not reporting something of theirs that has been stolen but giving the thief even more things to take.

Old 08-24-2018, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
It is my observation that religious belief is now a very thinly veiled veneer over political believe. I think this is difficult for the "moderate" believer because they are quickly defined by others in regards to position on wedge type political issues. Moderate believers are then forced to pick a side. Go with the "blood sacrifice" conservatives or the "social jesus" liberals.
Yes. Yes. Yes.

Old 08-24-2018, 09:59 AM

Quote:

The many people like this that I know personally, the secular world comes first, if they are going to compromise, its going to be their religious beliefs,they will also go to great lengths to justify 'doing nothing'

Jesus warned that christians would be hated and despised by the world, just as he was...but if modern day christians are not doing or saying things that would make the secular world hate them, there is not going to be any hatred or persecution, as this type of person would not be a threat, if you notice the ones that are truly hated and despised, they are the type NOT to ever compromise or settle, in other words, they STAND UP for what they believe in, they ARE a threat.
I don't think that's what cherry picking is.

Cherry picking is actually thinking about a christian (or any other religious) teaching, considering the wisdom involved, and saying yes, that makes sense to me, so I'll incorporate it into my life OR no, that doesn't make sense to me, so it's not going to be a part of my life.

It's taking responsibly and thinking for yourself, instead of just swallowing whatever pablum is being shoved at you.

Old 08-24-2018, 10:30 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,405,330 times
and am n
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I don't think that's what cherry picking is.

Cherry picking is actually thinking about a christian (or any other religious) teaching, considering the wisdom involved, and saying yes,
that makes sense to me, so I'll incorporate it into my life OR no, that doesn't make sense to me,
so it's not going to be a part of my life.
It's taking responsibly and thinking for yourself, instead of just swallowing
whatever pablum is being shoved at you.
I am a proud Cherry Picker.
And am not a fan of blind faith...big believer in testing, as in, seeing is believing.

Old 08-24-2018, 10:53 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,757,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Not Lewis old beast, the 'moderates'. The 'I believe the Bible is the word of god ...except for the parts I don't want to follow' types. Like BF for example.

Like selling all their possessions and giving the money to the poor or not reporting something of theirs that has been stolen but giving the thief even more things to take.
Pretty unarguable. Christians from the Authorities to the RoM Believer have adapted the creed to their mindset. We only have to look at the Prosperity gospel and the faith -healer scams, though if some believers protest that these are frauds and con -men and not Real Christians, I'd not argue on that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality