Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 09:55 PM

4,897 posts, read 18,493,158 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
Yes I know there are different names for God, but according to the Bible it does matter what road we take. Not all roads lead to God. Yes I believe Jesus is the only way because Jesus Himself said it.
Jesus did not write the Bible. MEN in far off lands who lived thousands of years ago wrote the Bible. it was a way of explaining how we got here and why things are/were they way they are. it's a way of keeping people from killing eachother--which unfortunately has not worked.
the Bible you read today has been translated, and i do believe that some of it was translated in order to supress some people and give others power.
when we pass on we will all know the truth and find understanding---some of us will find that we missed the whole point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2008, 10:01 PM

23,017 posts, read 34,387,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by findinghope View Post
Jesus did not write the Bible. MEN in far off lands who lived thousands of years ago wrote the Bible. it was a way of explaining how we got here and why things are/were they way they are. it's a way of keeping people from killing eachother--which unfortunately has not worked.
the Bible you read today has been translated, and i do believe that some of it was translated in order to supress some people and give others power.
when we pass on we will all know the truth and find understanding---some of us will find that we missed the whole point.
2 Timothy 3:16 says ALL scripture is inspired by GOD and is useful to teach us what is true. Men wrote it down, but God wrote it, this is what I believe. But I agree some have missed the whole point.

Old 04-01-2008, 10:21 PM

1,565 posts, read 4,311,239 times
So pretty much everyone is in consensus that tehy worship the same deity? Cause mabye i'm mistaken, but muslims don't believe jesus is a deity.

Old 04-01-2008, 10:26 PM

2,245 posts, read 7,193,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marodi View Post
So pretty much everyone is in consensus that tehy worship the same deity? Cause mabye i'm mistaken, but muslims don't believe jesus is a deity.
Could you elaborate on this?

Old 04-02-2008, 01:24 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,202,108 times
I will accept the possibility* that Allah is the same God as Yahweh (Jehova) because both Moslems and Christians and Jews believe there is only one God (the Bible tells us that God has many names). That they believe different things about that God is another matter for a different discussion. Shiva, however, is utterly different. If Shiva has any actual existence, he (in his male form) is a demon. The Hindu pantheon of thousands of "dieties" cannot be compared to the concept of one true God. Shiva is on his second wife and has an addiction to hashish. Does that sound like God to you?

*Possibility but probably not. In the Koran, Allah scolds Jesus for allowing men to believe that He is God's son. Either whoever wrote the Koran is wrong or Allah is not the God of the Bible. I don't wish to have a Fatwa placed on my head so I will not give my opinion.

Last edited by Bideshi; 04-02-2008 at 01:33 AM..

Old 04-02-2008, 01:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ainulinale View Post
Could you elaborate on this?
Moslems regard Jesus as a prophet like Moses and Mohamed. They deny that He is the son of God, even though they do acknowledge His virgin birth. It is curious that, though they consider Him a prophet, they don't know His prophesies (they are only in the New Testament). They would be astounded to read His prophecies!

Old 04-02-2008, 05:45 AM

1,565 posts, read 4,311,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
I will accept the possibility* that Allah is the same God as Yahweh (Jehova) because both Moslems and Christians and Jews believe there is only one God (the Bible tells us that God has many names). That they believe different things about that God is another matter for a different discussion. Shiva, however, is utterly different. If Shiva has any actual existence, he (in his male form) is a demon. The Hindu pantheon of thousands of "dieties" cannot be compared to the concept of one true God. Shiva is on his second wife and has an addiction to hashish. Does that sound like God to you?

*Possibility but probably not. In the Koran, Allah scolds Jesus for allowing men to believe that He is God's son. Either whoever wrote the Koran is wrong or Allah is not the God of the Bible. I don't wish to have a Fatwa placed on my head so I will not give my opinion.
How do you know there is only one god? is there any actual evidence that shows this? presenting religious texts does not classify as actual evidence.

Old 04-02-2008, 05:53 AM

There is no physical evidence other than the universe itself. Can you look at creation and not see God's hand in it? I believe there is one God because He said so. He said it in the book that you will not accept as evidence so we are in a circular argument that will not end. I believe what I believe. I cannot make you believe.

Last edited by Bideshi; 04-02-2008 at 06:03 AM..

Old 04-02-2008, 08:14 AM

7,784 posts, read 14,889,065 times
A quick thought that came to mind:

While I believe that we are all supposed to be worshiping the same God (I think there's only One), I don't believe the followers of either faith would agree that we are.

First, the two faiths are very much different. The characteristics of each are very different and for the sake of not wanting this to flame up into a faith bashing thread, I'll just leave it at that.

The thing that really 'popped' into my mind is the the Islamic mantra you hear yelled many times "Allahu Akhbar" which is usually translated by the American press as "Allah is great". However, that is not a correct translation.

The correct translation is "Allah is greater".

So the implication is that there is something 'Else' out there that the followers is Allah feel like they need to be clear their god is greater than. What is that Something? It is Jehovah--The God of Judaism and the God who manifested Himself in the flesh as the Lord Jesus Christ.

So, in my view, Islam takes the Truth which is outlined in the early portions of the Old Testament, The Torah, and the Qu'ran and manipulates it into something entirely different by the time to reach the conclusion.

In this Christian's view, it's a twisted view of the Truth.

The difference in all three monotheistic 'big boys' can be summed up in one word:

Jesus

It's what we do or don't do with Jesus that makes the distinction.

Old 04-02-2008, 08:38 AM

23,017 posts, read 34,387,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post

The difference in all three monotheistic 'big boys' can be summed up in one word:

Jesus

It's what we do or don't do with Jesus that makes the distinction.
Yes! I believe that is the correct. To accept Him as Savior or deny Him, it's a choice I believe we all make.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality