Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2018, 11:24 AM

4,747 posts, read 2,351,362 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Oh my, what goes on still !!

Whether 1000s of yrs ago or now...it is still ridiculous, come ON, humans !
Is it just now occurring to you that the things that humans believe and do are pretty ridiculous?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2018, 01:28 PM

8,226 posts, read 3,425,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Could you explain more the point you wanted to make?
And welcome to the topic.

And yes, that post of Shirina's was excellent.

Others have said this and now I am beginning to agree, that many here actually "worship" the stories in the Bible.
By worshiping it...it is worshiping a very warped idea of God...I see how atheists would think Christians are simply nuts...
I mean to worship that kind of scary, blood-thirsty Being right out of nightmares.
I simply do not know why people of the 21st c would not get all the horror in the stories told eons ago...and
then love such a Spirit.

That is not the Spirit that has presented Itself to me over decades.
Our modern society has become very sheltered from everything that's bloody and scary. Probably because most of us no longer work on farms. A couple hundred years ago, if you wanted to cook a chicken you went out and grabbed one and strangled it. And then dealt with the blood and guts. And thought nothing of it.

So the God of the Old Testament seems scary to many of us now.

But it's all really just the natural world, as it's supposed to be. So many are now rejecting nature and despising it, because it's "cruel."

If you really love God and the the natural world, then you would not be so easily horrified. This, again, brings up Jung's concept of the Shadow. All the bad stuff you don't want to think about, don't want to see as being part of yourself.

We are all part of nature, and everything you see as horrible in nature is within all of us.

Old 10-18-2018, 01:40 AM

11,030 posts, read 5,993,059 times
I'm not overly perturbed by the Jewish custom. It's what some customs do to young girls/women that gets me. Someone on R&S explained that it's like nails and hair that needs to be cut off.

Old 10-18-2018, 02:09 AM

11,761 posts, read 7,265,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
I'm not overly perturbed by the Jewish custom.
Did you watch the video? Oral suctioning a babies penis after circumcision? SICK SICK SICK!

Old 10-18-2018, 04:49 AM

5,912 posts, read 2,607,249 times
Quote:
I'm not overly perturbed by the Jewish custom. It's what some customs do to young girls/women that gets me. Someone on R&S explained that it's like nails and hair that needs to be cut off.
So you can agree there is still a blood and flesh sacrific to yahweh still going on to this day?

Old 10-18-2018, 05:21 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,397,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tired of the Nonsense View Post
Is it just now occurring to you that the things that humans believe and do are pretty ridiculous?
Yes, I have lived in a cave my whole life with a pillow over my head as I just told someone else.
I sit around now watching men eat human parts making themselves holy, thanks to this place.

Old 10-18-2018, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
Our modern society has become very sheltered from everything that's bloody and scary. Probably because most of us no longer work on farms. A couple hundred years ago, if you wanted to cook a chicken you went out and grabbed one and strangled it. And then dealt with the blood and guts. And thought nothing of it.

A couple hundred years ago? You're a city kid, huh? I watched chickens with their heads cut off
running around on newspaper in my
neighbor's kitchen when I was 5. That was their night's supper.

But, I know what you're saying.

Added: Btw, what was shocking to me was that people think they can flog themselves with chains or eat baby genital parts to become closer to God in some way
THAT was what usually gets me...the ritualistic things
humans do thinking God wants it and it will make them holier! Gawd!
...the nutty beliefs some have to get to God...

Last edited by Miss Hepburn; 10-18-2018 at 05:39 AM..

Old 10-18-2018, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
OMG! Shall we burn her at the stake?
Ah...another ritual..rem to bring sandalwood scented wood, please.

Old 10-18-2018, 08:54 AM

6,324 posts, read 4,326,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hd4me View Post
By reading and doing research

What is the meaning of capricious? Merriam Webster defines it as "unpredictable" and "erratic."

When reading the Hebrew Scriptures it's undeniable that God gave the Israelites clear directions as well as consequences. I don't find that unpredictable or erratic. They could choose to follow a different path and they often did but all choices have consequences good and bad.
God was unpredictable and erratic.

Period.

God commanded the destruction and utter annihilation of over two dozen cities -- because they happened to be in the area promised to the Israelites by God. Oh sure, it was rationalized that the people who lived there were evil, but that wasn't the reason. It was a landgrab -- it was a war of conquest no different than the Nazis invading the nations it did for a program known as lebensraum -- or living room. They wanted to spread out and so they did. Which puts the Israelites on a moral equivalency to Nazi Germany when you factor in both the wars of aggression to obtain more territory and the numerous genocides the Hebrews committed.

So why isn't the Star of David as much a symbol of hatred for Bible-worshipers as the swastika? Good question, eh? Where's your moral compass now?

What all of this *ultimately* means is that your God has the moral equivalency of Nazi Germany because he was the one who handed out the orders.

Is anyone going to truly deny that the Nazis were *not* capricious?

Not only that, but God couldn't even remain consistent with the way in which the genocides were to be carried out. Sometimes the Israelites had to kill every living thing within the city's territory including the plants by salting the fields. While others, the Israelites were allowed to snatch pretty virgins to be used for sexual slavery. Still others, the Israelites were allowed to take livestock -- as long as a certain percentage of it was sacrificed to God (presumably so God could get his fix for burning flesh ... oh that smells so damn good!) There's no rhyme or reason to it ... at all.

The ONLY consistent and clear orders the Israelites were given was to kill .... kill .... kill. And if the Israelites had had the same resources as the Nazis, I can guarantee you that the death toll would have been in the tens of millions. There is absolutely no difference ...NO DIFFERENCE in ideology between the ancient Hebrews and Nazi Germany. Soak *that* up for awhile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hd4me View Post
There's no end game with the "gods" The world just exists with no particularly direction. There's no conclusion, no one seems to be in charge directing things to a final outcome. And, very little hope for humankind after death. Well for some there was an afterlife such as Elysium but for most...nothing. Very similar to those who don't believe in anything today. No hope.
Hope for what? To live eternally under Adolf Hitler? Because that is what your Heaven is all about. An eternity living at the behest of a cruel and ammoral dictator who loathes his own creation.

In fact, even if God existed, I wouldn't believe a word he said about Heaven or paradise. After all, if committing genocide against entire peoples is considered a moral act, then lying and deceitfulness would be small potatoes by comparison. If God is allowed to kill you, then God is certainly allowed to lie to you.

But oh no, Christians of a certain bent just can't seen to figure that out. Thus they've made this patchwork God that ideologically looks like a Frankenstein's Monster .. a little bit of this, a little bit of that just stitched together in a haphazard way so that it vaguely looks like a human being.

There is NO consistency in God's morality -- except for one thing and one thing only: God hates sex.

That is IT.

Everything else is negotiable. The mere fact that God is supposed to be good and benevolent yet spent 1500 pages in the Bible doing nothing but murdering people, the bulk of them children, is capricious. It is unpredictable and erratic.

Hope, you say? To live in fear of an insane and evil god? A god who hates you? Oh, don't hand me any crap about love, either, because Heinrich Himmler possessed more love in a single eyelash than God demonstrates in the entire Bible.

No, I'd much prefer non-existence than an inescapable eternity of life on my knees.

So go ahead and keep hoping for that North Korea in the sky, as Hitchens once called it. If that's what you're wishing for, then all I can say is: Be careful what you wish for. You just might get it.

Old 10-18-2018, 09:06 AM

6,324 posts, read 4,326,494 times
Quote:
Ever stop to think what the issue is with genitalia? Why is it that so many religions are utterly obsessed with it?

And I mean literally ... clinically ... psychologically diagnosed as being obsessed. I'm not using that word figuratively.

There is something sick and unhealthy about the men who invented these ghastly religions -- not one of them was of sound mind. Nearly all of them had sex issues, probably suffered from erectile dysfunction, and were poor performers in the bedroom.

There is a serious psychological issue at play here regarding the writers of these ridiculous holy books. While everyone else was having sex, they sat around without girlfriends and railed against sex, railed against genitalia, and railed against women in general. Is it no wonder then why nearly all religions are misogynistic?

Like I said, the authors of these books no doubt were sexually frustrated beyond the pale and vented their anger out in the form of religion.

Which means, essentially, that Christians, Muslims, Jews, and even some tribal religions in the habit of female circumcision, are really just following the directions of some fat slob who couldn't get a date and decided to rant about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality