Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2018, 08:58 AM

6,324 posts, read 4,324,939 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
Circumcision was for a sign of the covenant...
Judaism and Christianity both have a sick and twisted obsession with genitalia and gender.

Remember when Saul commanded David to take 100 Philistine foreskins as a bride price? Why, the king only wants 100 Philistine foreskins and then you can marry his daughter! And David went out and got himself 200 Philistine foreskins and ...

I mean, seriously ... what the hell is it with foreskins and penises and whatnot?

Obviously it wasn't just a sign of the covenant unless the king wanted to convert another 200 Philistines to Judaism.

And I'm sure it made Michal, the bride, feel ... uhm ... extra special, knowing she's only worth 100 penis tips even to her own father.

Yeah, I get the fact that David was supposed to go out and get himself killed trying to get these foreskins, but that's irrelevant. The king could have asked for ... 100 suits of Philistine armor ... or ... 100 pieces of Philistine art ... or ... 100 chests of Philistine gold ... or damn near ANYTHING ... and it would have been better than a pile of disgusting foreskins!

I think I would've disowned my father if he thought he could sell me to David for a bunch of foreskins!

But few who read the Bible ever notice these small but very telling details in these stories.

Not to mention the fact that few pastors are going to tell their congregations: "Now, I would like for you all to go home and read the story of Saul and David ... then ponder awhile about the importance of foreskins and then pray about foreskins. Women? Well, if you need to, don't be afraid to examine your husband's foreskin to see precisely what this story is talking about. Sisters, your brother will have a foreskin ...."

*vomit emoticon*
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2018, 09:40 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,038,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
Oh, so you're saying that the Almighty God is incapable of speaking clearly enough to make his intentions known?

I see, gotchya.

And of course Almighty Omniscient God had NO IDEA that Abraham misconstrued God's meaning even as Abraham was leading Isaac up to the sacrificial place, had him on the altar (or whatever it was), and couldn't be bothered to STOP Abraham until he was *just about* to kill his son?

I mean, was God trying to imitate a James Bond flick where the bomb is *always* deactivated with just 1 or 2 seconds left on the clock?

Was God going for that ultimate suspense scene where everyone is certain that poor Isaac is doomed and, wow, at the last possible second, an angel shows up and tells Abraham, "No, no, you silly goose! God meant to bring Isaac up for a sacrifice ... like you two were going to perform a sacrifice TOGETHER, not for you to use Isaac as the sacrifice! Tsk tsk, humans. And to think you're the pinacle of God's creation!" *flies of chuckling and shaking his head*

Sorry, ol' Richard, but I'm just not sure if I believe that interpretation. And even if it's true, you can see the problems with that version of the story, as well.
Well, it has to be because G-d later said how He abhored human sacrifice and it was something that never entered His Mind...

Old 09-10-2018, 12:40 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,603,511 times
How could puny little human minds speculate about such a being as God, and how he benefits or gains from blood sacrifices?

More than likely, the importance and/or significance is WAAAYYY beyond our ability to comprehend, there could also be much more going on than we realize too.

It may be senseless, barbaric, cruel in our opinion, but to an entity like God?....who knows, maybe its a really big deal to have blood sacrifices done in your name?

Old 09-10-2018, 04:12 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,388,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
Well, it has to be because G-d later said how He abhorred human sacrifice and it was something that never entered His Mind...
Where's He say that? Thanks, that should always be in my file!
ps...I had no idea abhorred had 2 r's....my spellchecked fixed.

Shirina, damn, I couldn't give you another rep for bringing up the obsession for human genitalia!

mensaguy, could you correct panet to planet in the subject...I'll be good from now on?

Old 09-10-2018, 04:40 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,388,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
How could puny little human minds speculate
about such a being as God, and how he benefits or gains from blood sacrifices?

More than likely, the importance and/or significance is WAAAYYY beyond our ability to comprehend,
there could also be much more going on than we realize too.

It may be senseless, barbaric, cruel in our opinion, but to an entity like God?....who knows, maybe its a really big deal to have blood sacrifices done in your name?
I really respect this new idea you presented, rs, I do. Very good point. I have never heard it before.
However, I am going to stick with that He doesn't need it one iota.

Now...did He let us silly children do it anyway? Like our kid presenting us mudpies...or our cat
dropping a mouse on our shoes...could be.

Personally, I think it is a big possibility He did not ever need or want any torture done to Jesus,
BUT, the simpletons of the day, with centuries of sacrifice
as a tradition...THEY needed it...
Fantasy, illusory, imaginary paper chains can not be broken until the mind allows them to be broken.
In other words Heaven was never closed to Man. He made it up that he was locked out.

Me thinks, and I am not the only one, ha, Man went so far away from his Source becoming attached
to the material world...paradise lost..
needing bread crumbs from Masters over the centuries to lead him back Home to Heaven...
Man could only blame God...his ego wouldn't allow blaming himself....Man got himself into such a pickle ...Only extreme measures could get him back on the Path Home...thus, Jesus played the role.
As was said earlier...''he took the weekend off'', from the Spirit World (Well, 33 years, but in a place where there is no time ...Who's counting?!

We killed Jesus because we/they needed a blood sacrifice to God to open our/their psyche up
that we were deserving.
What a web ignorance creates!

Old 09-10-2018, 04:48 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
We do blood sacrifice now -kid from poor side of town wants college so he joins army to get gi bill loses life or a leg either way results in abundant blessings

Old 09-10-2018, 05:56 PM

50,822 posts, read 24,335,838 times
Quote:
How could puny little human minds speculate about such a being as God, and how he benefits or gains from blood sacrifices?

More than likely, the importance and/or significance is WAAAYYY beyond our ability to comprehend, there could also be much more going on than we realize too.

Well, if you're serious (are you?), then why exactly would I want to worship a god that I can't respect?

Old 09-11-2018, 01:51 AM

6,952 posts, read 6,877,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424
It's a good question, but goes beyond our understanding and knowledge. There are many things in life and the universe that we can't or won't know. We should learn to accept that. It's only a big issue if you let it be. Maybe it's a test on some level. Having trust, not wrestling with something unnecessary, etc.
Ahh - So true. Who can understand God?

Tell me something, why do we have to accept our human limitations? Isn't that what religion is all about, to strive to understand the unknowable? How many Saints, Prophets, and other Masters have there been who got to a place where they knew more than other people? You could say, "nearer to God" perhaps?

Why do you accept that with a little effort and study YOU cannot get to that place? Why rely on Faith to answer your questions? Most of the religious texts are inviting us to seek answers through prayer, study, and meditation, not accept what is.

This goes beyond religion because the information is out there, we just have to pull it all together under the umbrella of our particular beliefs.

Old 09-11-2018, 03:57 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,038,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post

Shirina, damn, I couldn't give you another rep for bringing up the obsession for human genitalia!

mensaguy, could you correct panet to planet in the subject...I'll be good from now on?
Devarim - Deuteronomy - Chapter 12

31You shall not do so to the Lord, your God; for every abomination to the Lord which He hates, they did to their gods, for also their sons and their daughters they would burn in fire to their gods.

Old 09-11-2018, 07:12 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,731,784 times
Quote:

I'm afraid that we can't be very impressed by this appeal to Unknowns and the lame suggestion that a being wading through blood, slaughtering thousands and ordering acts of abominable cruelty is somehow too far above us to be judged by human standards?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post

I'm sure that this is the passage that Paul brings up about abhorring someone's sacrifices. If so, that is not because he didn't like sacrifices, indeed he had Noah take along 'clean' beasts so they could be burnt so God could hover over the charring carcase, sniffing away like Hannibal the Cannibal (1) . His beef was that these sinners were not worthy to offer up the blood and burning fat that he loved so much.

Richard can no doubt tell us the passage he had in mind.

P.s sorry, I can't rep Shirina either.

(2) N. b "The gods smelt the fragrance,

The gods smelt the pleasant fragrance,

The gods like flies gathered over the sacrifice
. (Ut-Napishtin Flood-and -ark story; epic of Gilgamesh).

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 09-11-2018 at 07:22 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality