Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2018, 08:17 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,393,070 times

Advertisements

I do not.
I can not even imagine a Being of such love and magnificence wanting
a goat sacrificed on this teeny, far off planet hidden amongst billions and billions of planets,
amongst billions of solar systems ...(What kind of sacrifice was it anyway?
People came to the market to buy animals just to sacrifice! Where's the sacrifice? Did they then eat the sacrifice or toss it? )
Another man-made concept?
Discuss...
Convince me that God needed a blood sacrifice...why would you personally think this...understanding that a verse from the Bible would convince no one.
Why do YOU think a magnificent, brilliant Spirit, unseen, maintaining billions of solar systems would need a goat killed - or a human. What sense does it even make?

And this is not to say I don't love and follow Jesus and His Father God.
I am not an atheist, by any means.

But this belief in blood letting to appease God is pretty 'out there'! Come on...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2018, 08:59 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,027,780 times
"Need"? no. God "needs" nothing.

But he commanded them.

Old 09-07-2018, 09:18 AM

11,102 posts, read 7,168,155 times
God needs nothing, including from us. He does though desire and wish for our attention, and us seeking him.

The time of blood sacrifices is done and over with. The old covenant has been replaced with Jesus, and his sacrifice was the final "big" one to end all. We need to live in the present, and the time we have been given.

Trying to live in a different time, and/or think we can fully understand all the ways of God, will only spin our wheels; getting us nowhere.

Last edited by Thoreau424; 09-07-2018 at 09:29 AM..

Old 09-07-2018, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
God needs nothing, including from us.
He does though desire and wish for our attention, and us seeking him.
The time of blood sacrifices is done and over with. The old covenant has been replaced
with Jesus, and his sacrifice was the final "big" one to end all. We need to live in the present, and the time we have been given.
I agree.
I would question whether blood sacrificing was ever needed.

Old 09-07-2018, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
I agree.
I would question whether blood sacrificing was ever needed.
It's a good question, but goes beyond our understanding and knowledge. There are many things in life and the universe that we can't or won't know. We should learn to accept that. It's only a big issue if you let it be. Maybe it's a test on some level. Having trust, not wrestling with something unnecessary, etc.

Old 09-07-2018, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
"Need"? no. God "needs" nothing.

But he commanded them.
Ah, you so are referring to the Bible, me thinks.
I wanted what you thought.

I would counter that then , by using your same Bible...
Psalm 51 alone is a good example of that ...you must know there are others.
But, still this is not a battle of verses since the Bible is so full of contradictions.
What does your experience, your logic think....or do you have none of either...experience nor logic,
just a blind faith that anything the Bible says is true?
Cuz, gee, ....so many contradictions.
I still appreciate you posting, BF.

Old 09-07-2018, 09:39 AM

Quote:
It's a good question, but goes beyond our understanding and knowledge. There are many things in life and the universe that we can't or won't know. We should learn to accept that. It's only a big issue if you let it be. Maybe it's a test on some level. Having trust, not wrestling with something unnecessary, etc.
I like your post. I would still say these things are not
beyond our understanding...learning to accept something blindly isn't in my nature.

It is not a big issue to me...to wrestle with...except that millions of others have based their entire belief systems on a falsehood, in my opinion, of course....never questioning....but believing stories from primitive people, full of superstitions, etc.
(I know I did once.)

Old 09-07-2018, 09:54 AM

To each, his/her own. I just don't see it as something that must be answered and understood to move forward. It is true that we sometimes gain more understanding over time, and as we go through life. But there are other cases where we never gain ground in understanding, as I previously referred to. It's important to make the distinction, and not be rigid, and expect to know everything as though we are God.

I'm not other people, so I can't understand or justify other's ways. What millions of others do is their responsibility. I can't change or answer for anyone else. Millions of people have been known to not make sense, and support heinous matters. Millions have endorsed imperialism, racism, destruction of the Indian peoples of the US, etc. and not justified even one instance of the acts.

Last edited by Thoreau424; 09-07-2018 at 10:31 AM..

Old 09-07-2018, 10:09 AM

50,836 posts, read 24,347,720 times
Quote:
God needs nothing, including from us. He does though desire and wish for our attention, and us seeking him.

The time of blood sacrifices is done and over with. The old covenant has been replaced with Jesus, and his sacrifice was the final "big" one to end all. We need to live in the present, and the time we have been given.

Trying to live in a different time, and/or think we can fully understand all the ways of God, will only spin our wheels; getting us nowhere.
I hardly think the NT is living in "the present".

Old 09-07-2018, 10:10 AM

50,836 posts, read 24,347,720 times
Quote:
Ah. that old chestnut. How convenient.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality