Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2018, 11:38 AM

11,761 posts, read 7,260,344 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Mystic mate, you are so close to seeing that Humanism IS the next stage, but godfaith is blocking you from taking that step.
So true mate!

I love this statement: I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2018, 12:16 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,597,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
I would like to assuage your concerns but it is entirely possible that our state of mind and the character and perspective on life that we have created throughout our life will determine what the next stage will be like for us. If we believe in and practice genuine agape love (NOT LUST) as much as possible it is likely our next stage will be filled with love and everything we have ever loved. Unfortunately, if we believe in and practice hate, fear, insincerity, injustice, etc. it is likely our next stage will be filled with hate, fear, insincerity, injustice, etc. and everything we have ever hated, feared, been insincere about, been unjust to, etc. will come to plague us.
Very likely!
Yep I have a sneaky feeling if there is guilt, hate, shame in our hearts when we die, the afterlife is not going to be enjoyable for us.

I have my own mental image of how hell will be, and I bet everyone else does too.

Old 09-16-2018, 12:19 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,597,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew 4:4 View Post
I find according to Scripture, as of this time, there are Not different types of life out there.
First, the issue raised in Eden has to be settled right here on Earth before life elsewhere.
When Adam broke God's Law it was as if Adam was taking the Law out of God's hands and placing the Law into man's hands. Adam set up People Rule as being superior to God Rule. The passing of time would prove who was right.
Mankind has thus proven that man can Not direct his step, so God will step in and have Jesus, as Prince of Peace, and King of God's Kingdom of Daniel 2:44 usher in global international Peace on Earth among persons of goodwill before there will be intelligent life elsewhere. So, once the issue of sovereignty is settled here ( who can govern best ) then there can be intelligent life elsewhere in the universe.
Jesus mentioned that he has 'other flocks', not of the same fold. This could mean extraterrestrial, inter-dimensional, both, something else, etc.

Old 09-16-2018, 05:45 PM

10,036 posts, read 4,965,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
I love this statement: I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief.
Some peoples minds are so wide open that their brains could fall out.
There could be a BIG difference between having an ' open mind ' and a ' sound mind '.
In other words, having an open mind does Not necessarily mean having a sound mind.

Old 09-16-2018, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Jesus mentioned that he has 'other flocks', not of the same fold. This could mean extraterrestrial, inter-dimensional, both, something else, etc.
Yes, I find Jesus has a ' little flock ' ( smaller number ) as per Luke 12:32; Luke 22:28-30.
Whereas, the ' other sheep ' ( larger number ) of John 10:16 are those counted as being the figurative humble ' sheep'-like people at the soon coming ' time of separation ' to take place on Earth as mentioned at Matthew 25:31-33,37,40.
No one can number this ' multitude crowd ' of ' sheep ' - Revelation 7:9

The issue of Sovereignty that started in Eden ( who can govern best ) has to first be settled here on Earth before there can be any intelligent life elsewhere.
When Adam broke God's Law that was as if Adam took the Law out of God's hands and placed the Law into man's hands. Only the passing of time can prove who can govern best. Mankind has proven man can Not bring lasting Peace on Earth.

Old 09-16-2018, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Yep I have a sneaky feeling if there is guilt, hate, shame in our hearts when we die, the afterlife is not going to be enjoyable for us.
I have my own mental image of how hell will be, and I bet everyone else does too.
Jesus does, and he Not only knew about biblical hell but taught the mental image of how biblical hell will be.
When Jesus' friend died at John 11:11-14 Jesus taught the dead are in a sleep-like state.
Jesus being well educated in the old Hebrew Scriptures such as Psalms 6:5; 13:3; 115:17; 146:4 teach sleep in death.
King Solomon, known for having godly wisdom, wrote at Ecclesiastes 9:5 that the dead know nothing.
So, the dead are Not in a painful hell but in the grave for the sleeping dead.
The stone-cold temporary grave for the sleeping dead.
Can anyone think of anyone righteous that went to hell ________
The day righteous Jesus died he went to biblical hell as per Acts 2:27 until his God resurrected Jesus out of hell.

Instead of ' afterlife ' the Bible teaches ' resurrection ' such as at Acts 24:15 that there ' is going to be ' a resurrection....
Jesus will resurrect the sleeping dead - Revelation 1:18 - during his coming 1,000-year governmental rule over Earth begins.
Then, emptied-out hell ( grave ) will be cast vacant into that symbolic ' second death ' for vacated hell - Rev. 20:13-14.

The King James Version translated the word Gehenna into English as hell fire.
Gehenna was simply a garbage pit outside of Jerusalem where things were destroyed forever Not burning forever.
So, ' Gehenna ' is a fitting word for destruction. As Psalm 92:7 says the wicked will be 'destroyed forever'.
And why we are all given two (2) choices at 2nd Peter 3:9 to ' repent ' if we do Not want to ' perish ' ( be destroyed )

Old 09-16-2018, 09:07 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,260,344 times
Quote:
I don't consider this scenario as having an open mind.
Quote:
There could be a BIG difference between having an ' open mind ' and a ' sound mind '.
This has nothing to do with having an open mind.
Quote:
In other words, having an open mind does Not necessarily mean having a sound mind.
Who said it did? In fact having a closed mind based on belief conditioning's happens to minds that are not sound. In fact it's apparent that many with unsound minds sadly tend to be victims of indoctrination.

To me having an open mind frees you from having to be right, and as soon as you are humble enough to not need to be right, real growth happens in mind, body, and spirit.

With an open mind you're freed from the need to be right and, therefore, you're able to grow and learn from the world around you. Opening up one's mind is opening oneself up to all sorts of possibilities.

Last edited by Matadora; 09-16-2018 at 09:21 PM..

Old 09-16-2018, 09:47 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,184,822 times
Quote:

Believing the bible is even close to inerrant is a prime example of an unsound mind.

Old 09-16-2018, 11:01 PM

11,021 posts, read 5,987,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
I don't consider this scenario as having an open mind.
This has nothing to do with having an open mind.
Who said it did? In fact having a closed mind based on belief conditioning's happens to minds that are not sound. In fact it's apparent that many with unsound minds sadly tend to be victims of indoctrination.

To me having an open mind frees you from having to be right, and as soon as you are humble enough to not need to be right, real growth happens in mind, body, and spirit.

With an open mind you're freed from the need to be right and, therefore, you're able to grow and learn from the world around you. Opening up one's mind is opening oneself up to all sorts of possibilities.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Believing the bible is even close to inerrant is a prime example of an unsound mind.
You guys beat me to it!

Old 09-17-2018, 12:59 AM

6,324 posts, read 4,323,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slingshot View Post
If you have a thought, is it heard anywhere, or by anyone else? Or, does that thought die when you die? I think it does. Therefore, IMO, no one can answer my first post with any degree of accuracy because 'near death' is not 'death'. A dead person cannot have any physical or spiritual characteristics of being alive. What dead person has ever been able to tell the story?
There will always people who think they know exactly what happens.

I don't have problems with people postulating and theorizing and hypothesizing about what the afterlife might be like or what they wish it could be ...

But those who claim to *know* what happens after we die, well ... that's when I start putting out the "I'm not interested" body language while still pretending to be listening to their proselytizing.

I don't put a lot of stock in "Near Death Experiences" either.

Show me someone who has been dead for a week and then was revived to tell a tale of floating around the morgue -- and perhaps then I will be more intrigued.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality