Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2018, 02:07 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,597,574 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallflash View Post
So are you saying you would be no idea that it is wrong to rape and murder if the Bible didn't tell you so?
The bible says nothing about being against rape. In fact, all you have to do is pay the father 50 shekels and marry the victim. Nice huh?

And then there is that slavery stuff that god didn't forbid. Both in the OT, and his alter-ego, that Jesus guy, never said it was wrong.

Great morality in the bible and dictated by god, right?

Old 09-15-2018, 02:20 PM

4,004 posts, read 2,084,030 times
You are also an animal and don't have an ingrained understanding of the truths you state. It is simple, but like everything else in your life, you learned it somewhere.

Old 09-15-2018, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
The bible says nothing about being against rape. In fact, all you have to do is pay the father 50 shekels and marry the victim. Nice huh?

And then there is that slavery stuff that god didn't forbid. Both in the OT, and his alter-ego, that Jesus guy, never said it was wrong.

In a society that doesn't forbid slavery I would not be looking for anyone to claim it is wrong. The trick here is did Jesus claim it was right?

Maybe he would have. It is hard today to understand the ways of tribes for many. Tribes war. If the loser of the war is lucky, those people will be taken as slaves, or sold to other people in trade. If the winning tribe doesn't want to be bothered, they just kill you and every other member of your tribe. Im not going to make a judgement on which is more moral of a disposition for a tribes enemies.

Old 09-15-2018, 02:29 PM

7,596 posts, read 4,166,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComeCloser View Post
You are also an animal and don't have an ingrained understanding of the truths you state. It is simple, but like everything else in your life, you learned it somewhere.
Precisely. I didn't learn it from the Christian god or even the Christian faith. In fact, I had to forget Christianity to learn the basics.

Old 09-15-2018, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elyn02 View Post
Precisely. I didn't learn it from the Christian god or even the Christian faith. In fact, I had to forget Christianity to learn the basics.
Im sorry Elyn, but that makes no sense to me. You had to forget the 10 commandments to learn the basics?

The 10 commandments are pretty basic, but let's say I accept what you say. Where did you then learn that you shouldn't lie, steal or kill, or take your neighbors property? Or where did you learn whatever you consider the basics to be?

I will give you that Christianity is not the source of the 10 commandments. They are old testament, and written by a vengeful and jealous god.

Old 09-15-2018, 02:39 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,927,990 times
Dawkins and Adam Smith missed one very important element of evolution and economics and that is community. Sure we are selfish and want what is best for us, BUT evolution should teach that survival value is greater in community in many ways so that sense of justice we can recognize as knowing that without a just system any one person or group is subject to deleterious discrimination: "first theycame for the Jews and I wasn't a Jew..."

Look up "enlightened self-interest" and consider what that "enlightenment" might consist of.

Old 09-15-2018, 02:41 PM

4,747 posts, read 2,351,362 times
Quote:
All humans are animals by default, the result of being neither vegetable or mineral. Christians have an "ingrained understanding" that a corpse returned to life and flew away. They got that notion from somewhere. Like ALL religious believers, they largely got their beliefs from their mommies and daddies.

Old 09-15-2018, 02:43 PM

11,030 posts, read 5,993,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post

Well it does actually. That part where it gives specific instructions to stone the rape victim to death (for not screaming loud enough).

In other places the bible gives specific instructions to kill, enslave and rape.

There is one area in which atheists and Christians differ in moral values and that is sex before marriage. Christians consider sex before marriage a sin, ie, immoral. It doesn't stop them of course (although some actually do adhere to that).

But perhaps we should look to other animals that can't read and or speak. Dogs for instance - where do they get their moral code? They don't rape, or murder. What about deer and antelope? Or what about those peoples that never heard of the bible and God until missionaries came along?

Old 09-15-2018, 02:47 PM

6,830 posts, read 3,223,339 times
In the Jehovah's Witness creed, for someone to be accused of sex abuse, there had to be a witness to the abuse. Say that again? In other words, the victim has no say in the matter. One of the many reasons I left that religion about 50 years ago. I hope they've changed that since then.

Old 09-15-2018, 02:48 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,329,567 times
Quote:
Im sorry Elyn, but that makes no sense to me. You had to forget the 10 commandments to learn the basics?

The 10 commandments are pretty basic, but let's say I accept what you say. Where did you then learn that you shouldn't lie, steal or kill, or take your neighbors property? Or where did you learn whatever you consider the basics to be?

I will give you that Christianity is not the source of the 10 commandments. They are old testament, and written by a vengeful and jealous god.
4 or 5 of those commandments do not tell you how to treat others or any real morality. If anything they tell you not to trust people who are different. Where do you think societies that never heard of the ten commandments learnt their morals?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality