Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2018, 03:31 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,637,791 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComeCloser View Post
You are passing judgement on the ways of nomadic people from 4000 or more years ago, or as recent as today in some parts of the world.
?
The nomadic people were following the commands of God, according to the Bible. Are you suggesting morality has changed? That 4000 years ago it was perfectly moral for God to command genocide, but that has since changed?

Old 09-15-2018, 03:34 PM

4,004 posts, read 2,082,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
The nomadic people were following the commands of God, according to the Bible. Are you suggesting morality has changed? That 4000 years ago it was perfectly moral for God to command genocide, but that has since changed?
Im not going to repeat everything I have said over several pages Petunia. Im sorry you arrived late for the discussion and therefore don't understand it beyond what you know to understand.

Perhaps we can chat some other time.

Old 09-15-2018, 03:35 PM

63,809 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tired of the Nonsense View Post
There was a time before I existed. There will be a time when I no longer exist. But the material that I am composed of will continue on. Every particle of our bodies has existed, been used and reused, over and over for 14 billion years AT LEAST!. And will continue to do so after we are dead. If the law of conservation of energy is inviolate, than every particle of our bodies has existed eternally, and will continue to exist eternally. That IS Science.
What of the "particles" of energy that comprise the actual you - your consciousness???

Old 09-15-2018, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComeCloser View Post
Im not going to repeat everything I have said over several pages Petunia. Im sorry you arrived late for the discussion and therefore don't understand it beyond what you know to understand.

Perhaps will can chat some other time.
I have read the entire 4 page thread.

It is obvious to me that after claiming the morality of believers does not change, you are now insisting we cannot judge the morality of God's commands 4000 years ago, because society has changed. Refusing to speak to that does not in any way make your contradiction less obvious.

Old 09-15-2018, 03:51 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,723,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
This is the significant point: "Those people that never heard of the bible and God"

Similar societal morals are exhibited in places where God and the Bible are unheard of. Societies in India, China, Japan, Thailand, Korea, Vietnam, Bangladesh, Tibet, Nepal, etc., all share similar societal norms with societies where the Abrahamic religions are dominant. These societies do not condone murder, theft, slavery, rape, kidnapping, etc., any more than societies such as the United States, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, the UK, and Western European countries. Those similarities indicate that God and the Bible essentially have nothing to do with society's mores. If it did, there would be marked differences between those societies where God and the Bible are widely known and those societies where they are not.
We know the answer to that - "God wrote it on their hearts". In other words, common human social instinct plus the social rules of society obtain everywhere - though they differ as much as music, language and art. So God gets the credit for it all - even for those people who never read the Bible.

But then we'll get why Jefferson considered himself a Christian; not because he believed any of the miracle stuff or that Jesus was divine, but because the morality of the Gospels was better than any other moral system in the world. His opinion has some merit, and I'd give our pal Mystic some credit when he put Christianity at the top end of the learning - curve that his 'Cosmic Mind' is arranging for us (for all that i thought that Buddhism had it beat, and Islam should have vanished by the 15th century).

I just think that the cracks in Christian morality are starting to get too big and the next stage is a humanist society where we do what's right because it's what we want, not because it's what a god supposedly wants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Thank you for saying the 'god of the bible'.
It's something that we have to be very careful to say correctly. But what a change from the Old days when the 'Absolute Morality' argument was one of the tough God -apologetics. Now we can answer it in between stir -frying the Prawns and Bamboo -shoots.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 09-15-2018 at 04:00 PM..

Old 09-15-2018, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
I just think that the cracks in Christian morality are starting to get too big and the next stage is a humanist society where we do what's right because it's what we want, not because it's what a god supposedly wants.
Well said.

Old 09-15-2018, 03:58 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,723,660 times
Quote:
Well said.
qool

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
What of the "particles" of energy that comprise the actual you - your consciousness???
They are particles. Next question?

Old 09-15-2018, 04:09 PM

4,004 posts, read 2,082,729 times
Quote:
I have read the entire 4 page thread.

It is obvious to me that after claiming the morality of believers does not change, you are now insisting we cannot judge the morality of God's commands 4000 years ago, because society has changed. Refusing to speak to that does not in any way make your contradiction less obvious.
I claimed no such thing. Perhaps you skim read? I don't know. Im talking about tribal people and the reality of how tribes interact with one another. Shoving words to the contrary down my throat for me does not make me any more likely to want resay all I have already said. No worries. Not everyone is able to open their mind to what they don't want to hear anyway. Its no big deal.

Old 09-15-2018, 04:14 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
Morality is culturally defined it is not absolute nor defined by a deity
Which is why we went from shooting and jailing bank robbers to shooting and jailing cops in my lifetime

Old 09-15-2018, 04:15 PM

63,809 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
They are particles. Next question?
"Particles" was in scare quotes, because there are no particles, just "vibratory events" that we measure and name as "particles." You are NOT a particle, Arq. I am not conversing with particles. I am conversing with a composite consciousness that is an "energy event" transceived by your physical brain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality