Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2018, 11:59 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,052,712 times

Advertisements

It is a bit of a tautology with not much to discuss.

Human history has always had a set of standards, and those standards have always changed. I imagine that a portion of the population has always thought the standards of the previous generation were better than the standards of the current generation.

I can think of examples of clergy that were, relatively speaking, progressive and others that were conservative. The same holds for politicians, writers, artists, and everybody else.

Some things are cyclical of course. Marriage was not a big deal for centuries, then it was, it now seems to be less important.

Homosexuality has been accepted in some cultures at some times, at other times less so.

Culture and scientific progress used to be centered in the East with ancient China, moved to Middle East, then to the west and Europe. We seem to be doing our best to stifle cultural and intellectual innovation in much of the west at the moment, but some other civilization will pick it up.

I don’t see how the OP has much of significance to say on these matters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2018, 12:43 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,738,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
This is not a political topic. It's just an observation of how it's easy for progressives today to point a finger at today's conservatives, by comparing them to their religious figures of the past, since those past figures may have actually been progressive in their day. I'm not innocent in this either.
Understood. I just don't feel inclined to argue about today's conservatives. I do the god -claim and case for religion. Shirina can do in the conservatives much better than I can

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Actually Transponder answered quite well. If you have followed Mystic's thread which mentions the "spiritual fossil record" and my posts about the Bible being a record of a progression of perceptions about God through the history of the Hebrews you will see that you are approaching the same idea...... kewl.
"Praise from the praiseworthy is beyond all praise" ) Faramir in LoR TT.

Old 09-19-2018, 12:58 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,926,004 times
Well, Harry, do the "mystery religions" named base their faith on the same Jewish revolutionary idea that is attributed to Jesus: Concern for the well-being of everyone in any situation extended to the whole world, not just your particular culture?

I realize that institutional Christianity in general has failed to live this out, but they always venerate the occasional ones who do (if they have not already murdered them).

That seems fairly new.

Old 09-19-2018, 01:15 PM

13,496 posts, read 18,198,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OberonKing View Post
The Christian paradigm was a major deviation from the 'norms', and indeed was, and still is, an inherently progressive theology, and it forced most of the others to 'compete' with it and alter much of their practices. The greatest social, legal, and cultural revolution in history in the numbers of lives improved and affected.
The Romans seemed quite willing to extend the freedom to practice religion to many faiths other than that of the Roman tradition with very few exceptions. When Christianity became the state religion it embarked on the extermination of non-Christian religions and cults across the board.

And it has continued to wield the same axe of intolerance against non-Christians and amongst Christian denominations and sects themselves until rather recently.

Not a very progressive record, rather the contrary.

Old 09-19-2018, 05:03 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,926,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
The Romans seemed quite willing to extend the freedom to practice religion to many faiths other than that of the Roman tradition with very few exceptions. When Christianity became the state religion it embarked on the extermination of non-Christian religions and cults across the board.

And it has continued to wield the same axe of intolerance against non-Christians and amongst Christian denominations and sects themselves until rather recently.

No, institutional Christianity doesn't have a good record, especially for not sticking to the revolutionary paradigm Christ taught. But somehow it survives and has influence.

Old 09-19-2018, 05:45 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,870,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post

What I meant is that it is just on the "other side" of the progressives. In other words, it documents what was progressive a generation or two prior. But I'm really just speculating.

Old 09-19-2018, 05:57 PM

63,818 posts, read 40,109,822 times
Quote:
Well, Harry, do the "mystery religions" named base their faith on the same Jewish revolutionary idea that is attributed to Jesus: Concern for the well-being of everyone in any situation extended to the whole world, not just your particular culture?
I realize that institutional Christianity, in general, has failed to live this out, but they always venerate the occasional ones who do (if they have not already murdered them).
That seems fairly new.

Quote:
No, institutional Christianity doesn't have a good record, especially for not sticking to the revolutionary paradigm Christ taught. But somehow it survives and has influence.

Old 09-19-2018, 07:21 PM

Christianity survives because it represents an ongoing Son (progressive) sitting at the right hand of the Father (conservative), always getting ready to take over. Sometime just around the corner. And this image will endure because it doesn't really have to end.

Old 09-19-2018, 08:03 PM

50,833 posts, read 24,347,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
Christianity survives because it represents an ongoing Son (progressive) sitting at the right hand of the Father (conservative), always getting ready to take over. Sometime just around the corner. And this image will endure because it doesn't really have to end.
Odd. You sound just like a devoted christian.

Old 09-20-2018, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Odd. You sound just like a devoted christian.
I don't care, but you sound as if you don't understand a lot of things which to me seem very simple.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality