Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do You Think It's a Sin to Have Elective Cosmetic Surgery?
Yes 1 3.33%
No 28 93.33%
Sometimes (Please explain in comments) 1 3.33%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2018, 07:05 PM

23,239 posts, read 10,518,009 times

Advertisements

I guess I might even pay for my women to have just a little lip enhancement and maybe even surgery if she wasn't so blessed, but not like those crazy lips some of the actresses get, I think the most beautiful part of a woman is her top lip, from the tip of her lip to the tip of her nose and how the nose moves on some woman especially when they crunch it up with wrinkles, yeah, cute.....But then I am strange, no doubt, strange, I think the top lip and nose are the first things I look at, and then the shoulder. I could see helping a no lipped woman get a lip job, I think there should be funding for all those poor no lipped women.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2018, 07:26 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,250,243 times
My motto: If it’s big, make it little. If it’s little, make it huge!”

I’m kidding, seriously. I think the argument can be made that less invasive aftermarket alterations, like cosmetics and hair dye, were once considered sinful. If it’s a matter of “tampering with divine design”, any degree of appearance altering could fall under that umbrella.

Old 10-02-2018, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginge McFantaPants View Post
My motto: If it’s big, make it little. If it’s little, make it huge!”

I’m kidding, seriously. I think the argument can be made that less invasive aftermarket alterations, like cosmetics and hair dye, were once considered sinful. If it’s a matter of “tampering with divine design”, any degree of appearance altering could fall under that umbrella.
Yeah, make up, and even hair not in a bun is freaking sinful. I went to a church in East Texas and all the women wore their hair the same way, none wore makeup or Jewelry, and I figure this from what Paul said that I quoted earlier. All the women wore dresses that look like they were made by the same hands and all the men dressed alike..... It was really something, and when church was over some people asked me over for coffee, and of course being that I am Hannibal, I have to impress them with my knowitall mentality and I began talking about David.....

I mean as soon as I opened my mouth about the bible, it was as if they all thought me mad, looking at me all crazy and hell with offense written all over their faces saying,'' We cannot speak of the bible without our preacher present, who do you think we are?''

I wanted to look at them and say,'' Robots, or people without a mind or a soul, slaves, brainwashed, and frankly, stupid.''

But I just smiled and talked about sailing as I always wont to do, I couldn't wait to get out of that trailer house, it was like 5 adults living in an antique travel trailer and I mean all sorts of bad vibes coming from these people, I wouldn't be surprised if one of them went wack a Mole on the others...

Old 10-02-2018, 07:57 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,673,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
I guess I might even pay for my women to have just a little lip enhancement and maybe even surgery if she wasn't so blessed, but not like those crazy lips some of the actresses get, I think the most beautiful part of a woman is her top lip, from the tip of her lip to the tip of her nose and how the nose moves on some woman especially when they crunch it up with wrinkles, yeah, cute.....But then I am strange, no doubt, strange, I think the top lip and nose are the first things I look at, and then the shoulder. I could see helping a no lipped woman get a lip job, I think there should be funding for all those poor no lipped women.
How many women do you own?

Old 10-02-2018, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
How many women do you own?
WEll, I was married to 5 wives, but it wasn't my idea that they would belong to me as property, and so I gave them freedom as the Benevolent king that I am, but alas, none would give me up and each one became even more zealous to serve me. Not everyone want to be free, people want roots and stability to feel a sense of Pride about how loyal they are. Of course, I was just a tutor to most in order to present them to husband of my picking to give them stability, I tell you women adore me because I am always looking out for their future and getting them the highest gains.

Last edited by Hannibal Flavius; 10-02-2018 at 08:41 PM..

Old 10-02-2018, 08:59 PM

20,803 posts, read 8,632,921 times
The only sin is the price!

Old 10-02-2018, 09:15 PM

6,115 posts, read 3,101,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
Do you think it's a sin to have elective cosmetic surgery?

In particular, boob jobs, facelifts, nose jobs, butt jobs, etc.?

I view it as tampering with Divine design.

I believe that cosmetic surgery should only be done to correct gross deformities of one kind or another. The reason I think it is okay in the case of gross deformities (though a case can be made that of course that is also "Divine design"), is that it is a humane response to someone who might otherwise be ridiculed. It is a "kind" thing to do.

In the case of boob jobs, facelifts, nose jobs, and butt jobs - those, to me, are done in the name of vanity and are messing with Divine design (as if to say: You didn't do a good enough job - I am going to take matters into my own hands).

Moderator cut: Nope. We are not going to post to intentionally offend people.

And the doctors who benefit from these "sins," are also "sinners," as far as I am concerned.
Religious guidelines if understood correctly and followed honestly, build a good sense in a person of that faith to know what’s right and what’s wrong. It usually gives a fairly good idea of boundaries.

There are surely situations when you intend to take an action but you sometimes are not 100% sure whether it’s right or it’s a sin or perhaps it’s not a sin but it may be something that is not looked upon favorably by my faith.

There is perhaps way (that may not always work) to get some idea to cope with such situations.

If you are of a Christian faith, for example; ask yourself if you will do it in front of Jesus?

A Jewish person may think the same with Moses being in front of him - and so do a Muslim person may ask this with Muhammad (saw) in front of him.

This method usually gives a good idea if you let your heart honesty answer the question.

To answer the OP - IMO, I don’t think it’s a “sin”. And even if it was a “sin” then there are much more bigger and much worse sins that we need to worry about than this.

Old 10-03-2018, 05:27 PM

19,107 posts, read 27,710,534 times
Every spiritual guru will tell you that it is not what is done, that matters. It is the INTENTION of the thought that lead to the deed that matters.

So what was the intention of one who did - or did not do - this or that?

Also, there is no difference between one that puts "tat" onto his skin and one that "wants tat" but avoids doing it for reasons various. Their aim of thinking is same - tat. One is guilty of the sin of vanity, one is guilty of the sin of pride.

Old 10-03-2018, 06:16 PM

6,115 posts, read 3,101,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post

Also, there is no difference between one that puts "tat" onto his skin and one that "wants tat" but avoids doing it for reasons various. Their aim of thinking is same - tat. One is guilty of the sin of vanity, one is guilty of the sin of pride.
Dude, please make sure to state that it’s only your personal opinion.

IMO, if for the sake of argument only, we consider that putting on tattoo, is a sin, then there is a difference of day and night between the person who puts it on knowing that it’s a sin, and the person who may want to put it on but decides to avoid it because he believes it’s a sin.

Old 10-03-2018, 06:43 PM

7,658 posts, read 4,634,828 times
Elective surgery, by and large, is not bad at all. You want to look a certain way, the technology exists, and you do it. In a sense, elective surgery that looks really good has dramatically helped fund an entire industry that can help people that were burn victims, for example. So for 99.9% of people I'd say it's fine. People want to look good. People can buy clothing types they like....now they can do the same with body parts.

The only time it would possibly be sinful is if the design is specific to truly cause sin. If we think of our 7 deadly sins, and I do something that will perpetually cause rage (i.e. a botoxed swastika) and I plan on using it to get people upset....that seems sinful. If have plastic surgery not for myself but to make myself more successful in getting action from married people, that seems sinful. Of course, if I'm taking the only doctor available that keeping them from a cancer surgery so I can get a tummy tuck, that seems sinful.

But I think the cases are fairly rare. I wouldn't feel bad about getting something done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality