Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do You Think It's a Sin to Have Elective Cosmetic Surgery?
Yes 1 3.33%
No 28 93.33%
Sometimes (Please explain in comments) 1 3.33%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2018, 06:42 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,054,665 times

Advertisements

As Mensa said, where do you draw the line on this?

Are body builders sinners because they work hard to grow muscle, or are non-body builders sinners because they do not?

Are ballerinas sinners because of the damage they do to their feet, or football players sinners because of the abuse their bodies take?

Am I a sinner because I wear glasses? Didn’t your god intend for me to see the world in a fuzzy manner?

How about oncologists? Are they sinners because they cut cancer out of a body? After all, god put the cancer there in the first place.

The premise of this thread is ludicrous, and a great example of why some atheists view religion to be harmful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2018, 08:13 PM

25,449 posts, read 9,817,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
Do you think it's a sin to have elective cosmetic surgery?

In particular, boob jobs, facelifts, nose jobs, butt jobs, etc.?

I view it as tampering with Divine design.

I believe that cosmetic surgery should only be done to correct gross deformities of one kind or another. The reason I think it is okay in the case of gross deformities (though a case can be made that of course that is also "Divine design"), is that it is a humane response to someone who might otherwise be ridiculed. It is a "kind" thing to do.

In the case of boob jobs, facelifts, nose jobs, and butt jobs - those, to me, are done in the name of vanity and are messing with Divine design (as if to say: You didn't do a good enough job - I am going to take matters into my own hands).

Moderator cut: Nope. We are not going to post to intentionally offend people.

And the doctors who benefit from these "sins," are also "sinners," as far as I am concerned.
I wonder if those same people have a problem with overeating or eating junk food, not exercising, smoking, drinking (including sodas). Talk about tampering with divine design. Wouldn't that be at least as bad as cosmetic surgery?

Old 10-01-2018, 08:42 PM

28,099 posts, read 29,981,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
I actually think that people who do "wrong" (i.e., "sins") and may not be aware of the fact the stuff they are doing is "wrong," will find out in the next life (which I see as kind of a learning and reckoning center).
I don't believe that it's possible to sin unless you know that what you are doing is wrong. You don't even have to believe in God to know that rape and murder are sins -- not because some pastor or some book tells you so, but because your conscience tells you so.

Old 10-01-2018, 08:56 PM

63,822 posts, read 40,118,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I don't believe that it's possible to sin unless you know that what you are doing is wrong. You don't even have to believe in God to know that rape and murder are sins -- not because some pastor or some book tells you so, but because your conscience tells you so.
Amen. The OP question is one in a series of silly questions pretending there is something inherent in acts or behaviors that ever could be sinful. The only thing that can make something sinful is the state of mind of the person engaging in the behavior. Sin is an unloving state of mind.

Old 10-01-2018, 09:02 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,030,705 times
Personally, I'd love to get more ink, but I can't justify spending the money on it.

Old 10-01-2018, 09:07 PM

23,173 posts, read 10,463,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Personally, I'd love to get more ink, but I can't justify spending the money on it.
I should sell Tat designs, I am after all, the only Symbologist in the world, I could make you a Tat with true meaning.

Old 10-02-2018, 03:19 AM

9,690 posts, read 10,024,985 times
When people turn out better looking than everybody else and pride takes over , which becomes the sin only , as pride will attract these people with the devil to look down at others .........

Old 10-02-2018, 04:48 AM

9,345 posts, read 4,329,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabfest View Post
Well, everybodysbusiness, any cuts to the body increase ones susceptibility to infections etc. The body is viewed as a temple by some, not so much by others. And of course temples are to be revered not "desecrated" or placed in harm's way.
If you travel to ancient or at least midevil chapels and such you will see major alterations, additions and changes to those structures. Would adding a wheelchair access to a temple be deserating it?

And no I don't have piercing, tattoos or any cosmetic surgery, however some do for valid reasons and some for vanity and it should be their decision n9t some one choosing a phrase from an ancient text, one that did require crude and cruel cosmetic surgery for their God.

Old 10-02-2018, 05:04 AM

6,222 posts, read 4,014,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
If you travel to ancient or at least midevil chapels and such you will see major alterations, additions and changes to those structures. Would adding a wheelchair access to a temple be deserating it?
Are you referring to modifying the actual stone masonry etc. of antiquity?

Quote:
And no I don't have piercing, tattoos or any cosmetic surgery, however some do for valid reasons and some for vanity and it should be their decision n9t some one choosing a phrase from an ancient text, one that did require crude and cruel cosmetic surgery for their God.
Okay.

Old 10-02-2018, 05:11 AM

16,785 posts, read 4,992,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
When people turn out better looking than everybody else and pride takes over , which becomes the sin only , as pride will attract these people with the devil to look down at others .........
I am proud of how I look, yet I do not look down on others.

I do ask why a god would make someone not attractive and socially inept so that they have problems finding a partner. Is that also part of your gods divine plan?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality