Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do You Think It's a Sin to Have Elective Cosmetic Surgery?
Yes 1 3.33%
No 28 93.33%
Sometimes (Please explain in comments) 1 3.33%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2018, 05:21 AM

6,222 posts, read 4,013,181 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
I am proud of how I look, yet I do not look down on others.

I do ask why a god would make someone not attractive and socially inept so that they have problems finding a partner. Is that also part of your gods divine plan?
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2018, 07:13 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,052,712 times
Why is OP drawing the line at elective cosmetic surgery? Why not include all surgery? Why not include prosthetic limbs?

After all, isn’t it all god’s design for people to have chunky noses, irregular cheekbones, funny looking ears, cancer, exploding gall bladders, and gangrene? If your particular god is omnipotent, your god caused these things to occur, and they would be part of some plan.

That being the case, under what circumstances is it ok to defy god’s plan? If a person has cancer, aren’t you putting your judgment and morality above your god’s if you treat it?

Old 10-02-2018, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
Why is OP drawing the line at elective cosmetic surgery? Why not include all surgery? Why not include prosthetic limbs?

After all, isn’t it all god’s design for people to have chunky noses, irregular cheekbones, funny looking ears, cancer, exploding gall bladders, and gangrene? If your particular god is omnipotent, your god caused these things to occur, and they would be part of some plan.

That being the case, under what circumstances is it ok to defy god’s plan? If a person has cancer, aren’t you putting your judgment and morality above your god’s if you treat it?
That plan must include the free will to/not contaminate the earth.

Old 10-02-2018, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabfest View Post
That plan must include the free will to/not contaminate the earth.

I don’t see why that plan must contain free will. Even so, that is irrelevant, isn’t it? As posed by the OP, isn’t the excercise of free will inherently sinful, because any change from the way god has planned things is challenging his plan?

Old 10-02-2018, 09:16 AM

11,102 posts, read 7,168,155 times
It's probably not considered a sin. But that doesn't mean it is healthy or wise. We might put it up there with matters like eating crapping food, etc.

If it's not helpful (say, to correct for damage from injury), or worse, to elevate vanity and superficiality, then it will likely be looked down upon by God. It doesn't have to be a "sin" to bring disappointment to him.

Old 10-02-2018, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
It's probably not considered a sin. But that doesn't mean it is healthy or wise. We might put it up there with matters like eating crapping food, etc.

If it's not helpful (say, to correct for damage from injury), or worse, to elevate vanity and superficiality, then it will likely be looked down upon by God. It doesn't have to be a "sin" to bring disappointment to him.
Ok, I have another theological question.

Some Christians justify damnation and eternal torment in hell to transgressing against God’s will. The thought as I understand it is that God is a perfect being, and any sin is infinitely offensive to a perfect being, and also being perfectly just eternal punishment is warranted for an infinitely offensive crime.

What is the difference between sin and disappointment? If God is infinitely perfect and infinitely just, wouldn’t he also not see a distinction between disapointment and sin?

I realize that you may not be the type of Christian that believes in this particular doctrine, but I would be interested in having anybody who does believe this respond.

Old 10-02-2018, 10:05 AM

23,165 posts, read 10,459,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
I am proud of how I look, yet I do not look down on others.

I do ask why a god would make someone not attractive and socially inept so that they have problems finding a partner. Is that also part of your gods divine plan?
I suppose pride does have to be considered....

Wives and Husbands
…3Your beauty should not come from outward adornment such as braided hair or gold jewelry or fine clothes, 4but let it be from the inner hidden man of your heart, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is precious in God’s sight. 5For this is how the holy women of the past adorned themselves. They put their hope in God and were subject to their husbands,…

Old 10-02-2018, 10:08 AM

Quote:
I don’t see why that plan must contain free will. Even so, that is irrelevant, isn’t it? As posed by the OP, isn’t the excercise of free will inherently sinful, because any change from the way god has planned things is challenging his plan?
Free will is relevant because we are not inanimate objects.

Old 10-02-2018, 11:47 AM

8,620 posts, read 5,656,400 times
Quote:
As Mensa said, where do you draw the line on this?

Are body builders sinners because they work hard to grow muscle, or are non-body builders sinners because they do not?

Are ballerinas sinners because of the damage they do to their feet, or football players sinners because of the abuse their bodies take?

Am I a sinner because I wear glasses? Didn’t your god intend for me to see the world in a fuzzy manner?

How about oncologists? Are they sinners because they cut cancer out of a body? After all, god put the cancer there in the first place.

The premise of this thread is ludicrous, and a great example of why some atheists view religion to be harmful.
I answered each example, but my entire post was deleted because I highlighted in the wrong color.

Anyway, the question was specifically about ELECTIVE COSMETIC SURGERY. Nothing else.

Old 10-02-2018, 12:26 PM

16,677 posts, read 15,680,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
I answered each example, but my entire post was deleted because I highlighted in the wrong color.

Anyway, the question was specifically about ELECTIVE COSMETIC SURGERY. Nothing else.
The only difference between "elective cosmetic surgery" and pierced ears is one of degree. They are both nothing more than altering one's body for vanity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality