Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do You Think It's a Sin to Have Elective Cosmetic Surgery?
Yes 1 3.33%
No 28 93.33%
Sometimes (Please explain in comments) 1 3.33%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2018, 12:52 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,024,835 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
The only difference between "elective cosmetic surgery" and pierced ears is one of degree. They are both nothing more than altering one's body for vanity.
yes and no. 1 Peter 3 talks about modesty among women. For the same reason that he admonishes women not to wear fancy braided hair and gold jewelry, a Christian woman might consider not getting implants so she draws the attention of every man in the place. It works on the same principle. In the first century, it was braided hair and jewelry. Now, it's silicon implants, and low-cut dresses. IF that is her goal to simply look sexy and tempt men....that might be an issue.

Yes, I know men are pigs. No questioning that. Does this apply to men as well? I don't know of a lot of women that lose their minds to the same point that a man does when they see a well-shaped person of the opposite gender. What plastic surgery is common to men the way implants are for women? I don't know that there is one. Some bodybuilders will get calf implants, or even pec implants...but I'm not sure it's the same thing. But if it really bothers every woman in the place to see a man dressed certain way, he should stop it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2018, 12:52 PM

11,104 posts, read 7,164,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
Ok, I have another theological question

What is the difference between sin and disappointment? If God is infinitely perfect and infinitely just, wouldn’t he also not see a distinction between disapointment and sin?

I realize that you may not be the type of Christian that believes in this particular doctrine, but I would be interested in having anybody who does believe this respond.
We aren't capable of distinguishing between sin and mere disappointment in God's eyes. Only God sees the "full picture", and fully and clearly knows people's minds and intentions. So we have no business making those determinations. Unfortunately, that doesn't stop many so-called "Christians" from acting as judge, and talking as though they are God's personal assistant.

God may be perfect, but he knows we aren't. He knows we're flawed, and seeing it constantly. So, he isn't going to judge us as though we are perfect. He made us, and intimately knows our limitations.

Old 10-02-2018, 01:06 PM

6,222 posts, read 4,012,342 times
Quote:
The only difference between "elective cosmetic surgery" and pierced ears is one of degree. They are both nothing more than altering one's body for vanity.
Don't forget about circumcisions.

Old 10-02-2018, 01:32 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,050,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
I answered each example, but my entire post was deleted because I highlighted in the wrong color.

Anyway, the question was specifically about ELECTIVE COSMETIC SURGERY. Nothing else.
I understand that is the way you phrased your initial post. I am questioning whether you have a good basis for differentiating between elective cosmetic surgery and anything else. I am questioning both whether you can draw a clean line between different types of surgery, or whether God cares about that line, or about your reasons.

It is a valid extension of your question.

Old 10-02-2018, 02:21 PM

23,162 posts, read 10,455,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabfest View Post
Don't forget about circumcisions.
I would argue that it is more healthy to get circumcised, and I don't think my parents circumcised be out of vanity.

Old 10-02-2018, 04:00 PM

16,675 posts, read 15,676,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
I would argue that it is more healthy to get circumcised, and I don't think my parents circumcised be out of vanity.
Nor did you have any choice in the matter, meaning it wasn't "elective" for you.

Old 10-02-2018, 04:28 PM

6,222 posts, read 4,012,342 times
Quote:
Nor did you have any choice in the matter, meaning it wasn't "elective" for you.
Some classify that as assault.

Old 10-02-2018, 06:41 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,639,632 times
I think sin is a figment of the imagination.

Old 10-02-2018, 06:48 PM

11,161 posts, read 7,967,013 times
Thou shall not enhance thy boobs?

Old 10-02-2018, 06:55 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,050,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
Thou shall not enhance thy boobs?
Nor thy buttocks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality