Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do You Think It's a Sin to Have Elective Cosmetic Surgery?
Yes 1 3.33%
No 28 93.33%
Sometimes (Please explain in comments) 1 3.33%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2018, 03:58 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,656,400 times

Advertisements

Do you think it's a sin to have elective cosmetic surgery?

In particular, boob jobs, facelifts, nose jobs, butt jobs, etc.?

I view it as tampering with Divine design.

I believe that cosmetic surgery should only be done to correct gross deformities of one kind or another. The reason I think it is okay in the case of gross deformities (though a case can be made that of course that is also "Divine design"), is that it is a humane response to someone who might otherwise be ridiculed. It is a "kind" thing to do.

In the case of boob jobs, facelifts, nose jobs, and butt jobs - those, to me, are done in the name of vanity and are messing with Divine design (as if to say: You didn't do a good enough job - I am going to take matters into my own hands).

Moderator cut: Nope. We are not going to post to intentionally offend people.

And the doctors who benefit from these "sins," are also "sinners," as far as I am concerned.

Last edited by mensaguy; 10-01-2018 at 06:27 PM.. Reason: Geez. What made you thin that WASN'T offensive???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2018, 04:23 PM

28,099 posts, read 29,976,114 times
Nobodysbusiness, I think that whether it's a sin or not is nobodysbusiness. To me, going against something your conscience tells you is wrong is sinning, so it all depends upon what the person having the surgery believes. I guess if you were to have such a surgery, it would be a sin. For me, it wouldn't be. It would probably just be cost-prohibitive.

Old 10-01-2018, 04:32 PM

6,222 posts, read 4,013,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
Do you think it's a sin to have elective cosmetic surgery?

In particular, boob jobs, facelifts, nose jobs, butt jobs, etc.?

I view it as tampering with Divine design.

I believe that cosmetic surgery should only be done to correct gross deformities of one kind or another. The reason I think it is okay in the case of gross deformities (though a case can be made that of course that is also "Divine design," is that it is a humane response to someone who might otherwise be ridiculed. It is a "kind" thing to do.

In the case of boob jobs, facelifts, nose jobs, and butt jobs - those, to me, are done in the name of vanity and are messing with Divine design (as if to say: You didn't do a good enough job - I am going to take matters into my own hands).

Moderator cut: Nope. We are not going to post to intentionally offend people.

And the doctors who benefit from these "sins," are also "sinners," as far as I am concerned.
Well, everybodysbusiness, any cuts to the body increase ones susceptibility to infections etc. The body is viewed as a temple by some, not so much by others. And of course temples are to be revered not "desecrated" or placed in harm's way.

Last edited by mensaguy; 10-01-2018 at 06:28 PM.. Reason: Quoted post edited.

Old 10-01-2018, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Nobodysbusiness, I think that whether it's a sin or not is nobodysbusiness. To me, going against something your conscience tells you is wrong is sinning, so it all depends upon what the person having the surgery believes. I guess if you were to have such a surgery, it would be a sin. For me, it wouldn't be. It would probably just be cost-prohibitive.
I think I agree with you - it gets into each person's unique spiritual perspective.

I actually think that people who do "wrong" (i.e., "sins") and may not be aware of the fact the stuff they are doing is "wrong," will find out in the next life (which I see as kind of a learning and reckoning center).

I just think if you are teaching kids, for instance, moral or religious ideas, you might suggest that slicing and dicing one's body is not of the highest intelligence or doing the best good under the circumstances (I am sure there is a better way to say that).

Old 10-01-2018, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabfest View Post
Well, everybodysbusiness, any cuts to the body increase ones susceptibility to infections etc. The body is viewed as a temple by some, not so much by others. And of course temples are to be revered not "desecrated" or placed in harm's way.
Great point.

Yes. "The body is the Temple of the Holy Spirit." If you have that belief (and I think I was taught that as a Catholic), then cutting it and stuffing it with silicone would not be respecting it.

Old 10-01-2018, 05:02 PM

23,165 posts, read 10,459,754 times
Quote:
I kinda like this answer Katzpur, only kindly.

Old 10-01-2018, 05:03 PM

I would see smoking cigarettes as I often wont to do, as a sin.....Maybe not a sin, but a disappointing outcome because where I spent money on something so trivial, I could have helped a person with real needs.

Old 10-01-2018, 05:52 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,738,332 times
Quote:
Nobodysbusiness, I think that whether it's a sin or not is nobodysbusiness.....

You owe her for that feed Line.

Old 10-01-2018, 06:33 PM

16,677 posts, read 15,680,560 times
If you think it's a sin to tamper with divine design, I hope you don't cut your hair, shave, pierce your ears (or any other body parts), have tattoos, get any dental work, or trim your nails, let alone color your hair or use make up.

If you think those things are sins, you shouldn't do them.

If anybody else does them, that is their choice to make, not yours.

Old 10-01-2018, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
If you think it's a sin to tamper with divine design, I hope you don't cut your hair, shave, pierce your ears (or any other body parts), have tattoos, get any dental work, or trim your nails, let alone color your hair or use make up.

If you think those things are sins, you shouldn't do them.

If anybody else does them, that is their choice to make, not yours.
I know right?

I don't keep the laws of Moses accept for one law BECAUSE it is such a sacrifice for me to keep, I REALLY, REALLY want some tats, and I know exactly what I want, but it has been the one law that I try to keep BECAUSE it is a sacrifice for me to keep it, and it is not as hard as others.

People have all these ideas about sin, and it is more than often their own creation, their own ideas about sin, but when you ask to see a list of the sins they formed for themselves, why wont they ever list a list of sins?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality