Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2018, 03:28 PM

28,099 posts, read 29,976,114 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tired of the Nonsense View Post
Christians believe that Jesus, who was his own father, came to Earth to offer salvation to humankind for failing the omnipotent Being who created them, through a blood sacrifice, dying, returning to life, and then flying away. This is not a crazy belief system compared to what?
Boy, that's crazy indeed, compared to the Christian faith I believe in!

Old 10-03-2018, 03:30 PM

63,818 posts, read 40,109,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
I think we would likely have a very different understanding of what Lewis was saying in that quote.

Notice how he said we're mirrors reflecting God's goodness, and power? It doesn't suggest that we will be gods or goddesses governing our own worlds. I've read Mere Christianity, and I don't recall him suggesting anything close to that idea.

In any event, probably not something to really get all worked up over without seeing the entire thing in context. I'll see if I have a copy handy.
If children do NOT grow up to be adults like their parents, what do you think they become when they grow up, BF? Why are we called God's children? When you learn that the word translated as "perfect" actually means "mature," what do you think that implies about our goal as children of God?

Old 10-03-2018, 03:59 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,027,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
If children do NOT grow up to be adults like their parents, what do you think they become when they grow up, BF? Why are we called God's children? When you learn that the word translated as "perfect" actually means "mature," what do you think that implies about our goal as children of God?
Do you know that Jesus referred to people as children of the devil? That in Ephesians it says we are born into wrath?

Do you believe that non-Christians become devils or demons in the afterlife?

The simple answer is that God never suggests that we are simply little gods. We do not have a divine nature, and nowhere in Scripture does it suggest that.

Old 10-03-2018, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Do you know that Jesus referred to people as children of the devil?
I'm sorry that you believe yourself to be a child of the devil, BF. I can't even imagine how sad it must make your Father in Heaven to think you see yourself as the devil's child and not His. To reject your sonhood is to reject His Fatherhood. As for me, I am a daughter of God.

Last edited by Katzpur; 10-03-2018 at 04:28 PM..

Old 10-03-2018, 04:24 PM

63,818 posts, read 40,109,822 times
Quote:
Quote:
Do you know that Jesus referred to people as children of the devil? That in Ephesians it says we are born into wrath?
Do you believe that non-Christians become devils or demons in the afterlife?
The simple answer is that God never suggests that we are simply little gods. We do not have a divine nature, and nowhere in Scripture does it suggest that.
That is not an answer to my questions, BF. Stop avoiding them. What do children become if NOT adults like their parent? Children DO get to choose whether or not to be like their parent, BF. It happens all the time. Jesus was simply pointing out the choices some seem to have made. We may not have two wolves inside as the Native American story goes, but we DO have two sources of influence on our behavior. We have the Comforter sent in Christ's name to guide us to the Truth God has "written in our hearts" and we have the Serpent (reptilian brain) source of our survival drives, pain avoidance, and pleasure-seeking drives. WE decide which of them to "feed" (or listen to).

Old 10-03-2018, 04:31 PM

3,402 posts, read 2,790,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
I know that CS Lewis stated that he was an Atheist when he was young, then became a Theist as an adult. And I am not disputing that he was exactly that. I am sure that he was a Theist.

But it seems like he was writing about Christianity as possibly a way of explaining *why* Christians believed the things that they did. He knew that Christianity was not a crazy belief system. And perhaps he wrote about it in a way that was respectful to them, while at the same time intending to help nonbelievers understand believers.

And that is something that I can understand. Because I have evolved in my own Theistic beliefs to the same kind of position.

Does anyone else see CS Lewis in this way?
I am curious where you get the idea that CS Lewis was anything other than a reasonably orthodox Anglican, who happened to be an incredibly good writer? Is there something in his writings, or in his history that would lead you to think that he was some sort of generic, non-Christian theist?

To be fair, I have always read his works through the lens of evangelical Christianity, but I see no reason to doubt his Christian bona fides. Especially not after reading abolition of man, or mere Christianity…

-NoCapo

Old 10-03-2018, 04:34 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,027,780 times
Quote:
That is not an answer to my questions, BF. Stop avoiding them. What do children become if NOT adults like their parent? Children DO get to choose whether or not to be like their parent, BF.
It's completely irrelevant to the point here. God never calls us little gods, or says that we are "baby gods" that grow up to be big gods.
Quote:

It happens all the time. Jesus was simply pointing out the choices some seem to have made. We may not have two wolves inside as the Native American story goes, but we DO have two sources of influence on our behavior. We have the Comforter sent in Christ's name to guide us to the Truth God has "written in our hearts" and we have the Serpent (reptilian brain) source of our survival drives, pain avoidance, and pleasure-seeking drives. WE decide which of them to "feed" (or listen to).
Not even close to what the Bible actually teaches. Nowhere near. But now is where you'll tell me the Bible is barbaric and you have some hidden gnostic understanding that you have figured out 2000 years after Jesus. Yay for you! And the rest of us poor slobs are simply too dumb, or too blind to figure it out. Because YOU have decided what it is.

Old 10-03-2018, 04:42 PM

Quote:
It's completely irrelevant to the point here. God never calls us little gods, or says that we are "baby gods" that grow up to be big gods.
He does tell us that He's our Father and that we are His children. And Jesus Christ told us to be "perfect, even as [our] Father which is in Heaven is perfect." How are either of those things irrelevant?

Old 10-03-2018, 04:43 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,870,605 times
Quote:
I think we would likely have a very different understanding of what Lewis was saying in that quote.

Notice how he said we're mirrors reflecting God's goodness, and power? It doesn't suggest that we will be gods or goddesses governing our own worlds. I've read Mere Christianity, and I don't recall him suggesting anything close to that idea.

In any event, probably not something to really get all worked up over without seeing the entire thing in context. I'll see if I have a copy handy.
But if it is as symbolic as you say, which I agree with, then it would tend to support my original question.

Old 10-03-2018, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
But if it is as symbolic as you say, which I agree with, then it would tend to support my original question.
If it is symbolic, what is it symbolic of?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality