Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2018, 04:54 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,397,063 times

Advertisements

He was a bit deeper and wiser than your average bear...
I can almost quote this from heart, from Mere Christianity:

If you want joy, power, peace, eternal life, you must get close to, or even into
the thing that has them.
They are not a sort of prize which God could, if He chose, just hand out to anyone.
They are a great fountain of energy and beauty spurting up at the very centre of reality.
If you are close to it, the spray will wet you: if you are not, you will remain dry.

Old 10-03-2018, 05:06 PM

63,822 posts, read 40,118,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
That is not an answer to my questions, BF. Stop avoiding them. What do children become if NOT adults like their parent? Children DO get to choose whether or not to be like their parent, BF. It happens all the time. Jesus was simply pointing out the choices some seem to have made. We may not have two wolves inside as the Native American story goes, but we DO have two sources of influence on our behavior. We have the Comforter sent in Christ's name to guide us to the Truth God has "written in our hearts" and we have the Serpent (reptilian brain) source of our survival drives, pain avoidance, and pleasure-seeking drives. WE decide which of them to "feed" (or listen to).
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
It's completely irrelevant to the point here. God never calls us little gods, or says that we are "baby gods" that grow up to be big gods.
Not even close to what the Bible actually teaches. Nowhere near. But now is where you'll tell me the Bible is barbaric and you have some hidden gnostic understanding that you have figured out 2000 years after Jesus. Yay for you! And the rest of us poor slobs are simply too dumb, or too blind to figure it out. Because YOU have decided what it is.
No, BF, I will not. The Bible is primitive and the concepts are "carnal milk" that we should long ago have outgrown. But the religious leaders did NOT pursue the "solid food" because they believed we had to accept the "carnal milk" as a sign of our faith in God. It was a horrible mistake and corruption of Christ's Gospel and demonstration of God's love and expectations for us. I have no secret knowledge since it is what Jesus unambiguously demonstrated and taught. That is no secret. He is the firstborn of US to be as "mature" as the Father and He abides with us as the Comforter sent in His name to guide us as the Father guided Him.

Last edited by MysticPhD; 10-03-2018 at 05:40 PM..

Old 10-03-2018, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I'm sorry that you believe yourself to be a child of the devil, BF. I can't even imagine how sad it must make your Father in Heaven to think you see yourself as the devil's child and not His. To reject your sonhood is to reject His Fatherhood.
As for me, I am a daughter of God.
Hey, don't sell yourself short, sis! We are the daughters of a King...so...what would that make us?
Princesses.

Old 10-03-2018, 05:17 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,027,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I'm sorry that you believe yourself to be a child of the devil, BF. I can't even imagine how sad it must make your Father in Heaven to think you see yourself as the devil's child and not His. To reject your sonhood is to reject His Fatherhood. As for me, I am a daughter of God.
Just show me the verse. Please.

Again...I never said I was a child of the devil. I'm a Christian-so I am a child of God. But the Bible does not suggest that all are. Jesus called the Pharisees children of the devil.

Old 10-03-2018, 06:13 PM

28,099 posts, read 29,981,596 times
Quote:
A verse that says that we're children of God? Seriously?

Quote:
Again...I never said I was a child of the devil. I'm a Christian-so I am a child of God. But the Bible does not suggest that all are.
I was just commenting on your statement:
Quote:
Jesus referred to people as children of the devil
Quote:
Jesus called the Pharisees children of the devil.
And you think that He meant that the devil was the father of their spirits? That it was the devil who gave them life? Is that really what you think He meant?

Old 10-03-2018, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Hey, don't sell yourself short, sis! We are the daughters of a King...so...what would that make us?
Princesses.
You may address me accordingly.

Old 10-03-2018, 06:15 PM

But, BF, what do you mean we don't have a divine nature?

Psalm 82:6 (KJV) I have said, Ye are gods; and all of you are children of the most High.
We were made in His image..

John 1:9 John the Baptist says, He was not that Light, but was sent to bear witness of that Light.
That was the true Light, which lighteth every man that cometh into the world.

Jesus says "our" Father, we have the same Creator...an apple tree doesn't bear grapes.
We may have been born in wrath (this psycho planet), as you say (but, didn't say exactly the verse) ....but we came from our Holy Heavenly Father....Light.

Old 10-03-2018, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
...we came from our Holy Heavenly Father....Light.
Amen. Nobody came from any other source.

Old 10-03-2018, 07:05 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,872,913 times
Quote:

Again...I never said I was a child of the devil. I'm a Christian-so I am a child of God. But the Bible does not suggest that all are. Jesus called the Pharisees children of the devil.
"Children of the devil."

Surely you can see that that is symbolic and not literal. Isn't that verse really talking about who a person chooses to follow?

Old 10-03-2018, 07:33 PM

11,102 posts, read 7,168,155 times
Whatever we think about his faith - and why are we even going down that petty road? - it won't change squat between him and God. That was all decided many years ago. Or do you have nothing better to do with your time?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality