Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2018, 04:42 AM

12,918 posts, read 16,870,605 times

Advertisements

I know that CS Lewis stated that he was an Atheist when he was young, then became a Theist as an adult. And I am not disputing that he was exactly that. I am sure that he was a Theist.

But it seems like he was writing about Christianity as possibly a way of explaining *why* Christians believed the things that they did. He knew that Christianity was not a crazy belief system. And perhaps he wrote about it in a way that was respectful to them, while at the same time intending to help nonbelievers understand believers.

And that is something that I can understand. Because I have evolved in my own Theistic beliefs to the same kind of position.

Does anyone else see CS Lewis in this way?

Old 10-03-2018, 06:18 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,738,332 times
I never had any doubts that he really did believe in Christianity. He was, of course, a great friend of Tolkien, who was a Catholic and had always wanted his friend to give up his atheism (he must have been picture perfect as the "Atheist Professor" - loudmouthed and arrogant - as an atheist) and he did convert - but to Tolkien's disappointment, became a Protestant. But Tolkien never seems to have had any doubts of the conversion.

His influence and following was as great as Tolkien's...well, almost, and I was enthusiastic, too. The Screwtape letters, the Perelandra and Narnia series. I enjoyed them, and still do. Though even then, the Christian preaching was painfully obvious (Tolkien usually hides it better) and the constant sniping at atheists (often Projecting his own overbearing arrogance onto the Atheist character) and preaching Faith in things that weren't actually there, did more to put me off what the man I thought of as "God's propagandist" was trying to preach than the books sold it to me.

Even when i was reading 'Screwtape' and the argument against doubt and question ("Stan is putting doubts into your head; don't listen to him") I was thinking - "He doesn't KNOW any of this. For all we know, this is as imaginary as Narnia." Possibly he did believe in Satan, if not in demons perching on your shoulder whispering Lies into your ear, but as I have come to realise, he wouldn't even care whether he really believed it or not, and less whether it was true or not - just so long as it worked.

As an atheist online, I became aware of his Christian polemic books; and some of the classic Theiopologetic fallacies originated with him. "the Lord, liar or lunatic' fallacy is probably the best known. He was also very adroit in 'proof by analogy', which I consider a fallacy but it doesn't seem to recognised as one. There is one that is not his (though it might be) which is a classic and comes in various forms, e.g 'They laughed at the Wright brothers/scientists (read "atheists") denied powered flight" (1). is the most common version.

A rep for you if you know what is flawed about this one

(1) if anyone doesn't Get It, the argument is an analogous proof of 'science doesn't know everything'; just because they haven't found, or (more importantly) accepted the evidence for God, yet, doesn't mean that it isn't there. Twigged it yet? Gap for God?

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 10-03-2018 at 06:26 AM..

Old 10-03-2018, 08:27 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,027,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
I know that CS Lewis stated that he was an Atheist when he was young, then became a Theist as an adult. And I am not disputing that he was exactly that. I am sure that he was a Theist.

But it seems like he was writing about Christianity as possibly a way of explaining *why* Christians believed the things that they did. He knew that Christianity was not a crazy belief system. And perhaps he wrote about it in a way that was respectful to them, while at the same time intending to help nonbelievers understand believers.

And that is something that I can understand. Because I have evolved in my own Theistic beliefs to the same kind of position.

I'm sure he and I would have some theological differences if we met for a cup of coffee. But yes, I believe he was a Christian. I've read Mere Christianity, as well as his Narnia series. I see nothing to lead me to believe he wasn't a Christian.

Old 10-03-2018, 08:34 AM

11,102 posts, read 7,168,155 times
Only God can answer for sure, but I've seen plenty of references and notes that indicate he was Christian. He was very articulate and well-read, which may throw off people and their limited assumptions, but his significant views still harmonized with the Gospels.

Old 10-03-2018, 09:46 AM

4,747 posts, read 2,350,704 times
Quote:

Christians believe that Jesus, who was his own father, came to Earth to offer salvation to humankind for failing the omnipotent Being who created them, through a blood sacrifice, dying, returning to life, and then flying away. This is not a crazy belief system compared to what?

Old 10-03-2018, 09:54 AM

28,099 posts, read 29,976,114 times
Quote:

I love to quote C.S. Lewis to people who claim that Mormons are not Christians, because he is probably the most frequently quoted non-Mormon theologian in LDS circles. Many of his beliefs are very similar to ours. His statement on men becoming gods is a perfect example. I can't count the number of times someone has said to me, "Christians don't believe that!" I'll just quote C.S. Lewis to prove that one highly-regarded Christian does, in fact, believe it.

Old 10-03-2018, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I love to quote C.S. Lewis to people who claim that Mormons are not Christians, because he is probably the most frequently quoted non-Mormon theologian in LDS circles. Many of his beliefs are very similar to ours. His statement on men becoming gods is a perfect example. I can't count the number of times someone has said to me, "Christians don't believe that!" I'll just quote C.S. Lewis to prove that one highly-regarded Christian does, in fact, believe it.
What is that quote? I'd love to check it out.

Old 10-03-2018, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
What is that quote? I'd love to check it out.
I posted it in my thread about Mormon doctrines. Here it is again:

“The command Be ye perfect is not idealistic gas. Nor is it a command to do the impossible. He is going to make us into creatures that can obey that command. He said (in the Bible) that we were 'gods' and He is going to make good His words. If we let Him – for we can prevent Him, if we choose – He will make the feeblest and filthiest of us into a god or goddess, dazzling, radiant, immortal creature, pulsating all through with such energy and joy and wisdom and love as we cannot now imagine, a bright stainless mirror which reflects back to God perfectly (though, of course, on a smaller scale) His own boundless power and delight and goodness. The process will be long and in parts very painful; but that is what we are in for. Nothing less. He meant what He said."

It's found on page 126 of his book, "Mere Christianity."

Old 10-03-2018, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I posted it in my thread about Mormon doctrines. Here it is again:

“The command Be ye perfect is not idealistic gas. Nor is it a command to do the impossible. He is going to make us into creatures that can obey that command. He said (in the Bible) that we were 'gods' and He is going to make good His words. If we let Him – for we can prevent Him, if we choose – He will make the feeblest and filthiest of us into a god or goddess, dazzling, radiant, immortal creature, pulsating all through with such energy and joy and wisdom and love as we cannot now imagine, a bright stainless mirror which reflects back to God perfectly (though, of course, on a smaller scale) His own boundless power and delight and goodness. The process will be long and in parts very painful; but that is what we are in for. Nothing less. He meant what He said."

It's found on page 126 of his book, "Mere Christianity."
I think we would likely have a very different understanding of what Lewis was saying in that quote.

Notice how he said we're mirrors reflecting God's goodness, and power? It doesn't suggest that we will be gods or goddesses governing our own worlds. I've read Mere Christianity, and I don't recall him suggesting anything close to that idea.

In any event, probably not something to really get all worked up over without seeing the entire thing in context. I'll see if I have a copy handy.

Old 10-03-2018, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
I think we would likely have a very different understanding of what Lewis was saying in that quote.
Yeah, we probably do. I take him at his word and don't try to read anything into it that he didn't come right out and say. Neither do I try to insist, "Well, he didn't really mean what he said, even if he did say it!"

Quote:
Notice how he said we're mirrors reflecting God's goodness, and power? It doesn't suggest that we will be gods or goddesses governing our own worlds. I've read Mere Christianity, and I don't recall him suggesting anything close to that idea.
He said, "He will make the feeblest and filthiest of us into a god or goddess..." If you don't recall it, just go back and reread it. I'm sure you'll find that I didn't change a word of it.

Quote:
In any event, probably not something to really get all worked up over without seeing the entire thing in context. I'll see if I have a copy handy.
Who's worked up?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality