Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2018, 11:56 AM

10,800 posts, read 3,607,782 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan85 View Post
America as a "Christian Nation" is ancient history- unfortunately.
Quote:
Like many people on here, you ask a question as if your opinion is fact- that is all ego and vanity.
Seems to me you were making an assertion I just countered.

The Treaty of Tripoli clearly states that America is not a Christian Nation. Clearly. And guess what? It was signed by one of the founding fathers, John Adams. You'd think he would know, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2018, 12:05 PM

16,728 posts, read 15,731,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maat55 View Post
Franklin proposed that there be prayer before every session of the constitutional convention. It was voted down.
This is a good illustration of the enigma that is our Founding Fathers, regarding their religious beliefs. Franklin also never joined a church, yet he contributed to more than a dozen churches in Philadelphia, including a Jewish synagogue. He was one of the editors of the Declaration of Independence, which, at his suggestion changed the wording from "We hold these truths to be sacred and un-deniable..." to "We hold these truths to be self-evident." He changed it from a more religious phrasing to a less religious phrasing.

So, just how religious was Franklin? Nobody alive today knows.

Old 10-15-2018, 12:12 PM

16,728 posts, read 15,731,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post

The Treaty of Tripoli clearly states that America is not a Christian Nation. Clearly. And guess what? It was signed by one of the founding fathers, John Adams. You'd think he would know, right?
The Treaty of Tripoli was negotiated during Washington's second term (so we can assume he knew and approved of what it said), and then ratified and signed during John Adams' term.

Old 10-15-2018, 12:14 PM

3,987 posts, read 2,118,695 times
Quote:

I don't go by word, or signatures because they are from men. Man changes like the wind (especially politicians), and man also frequently lies. I go by what I see, and America does not appear to act or look like a Christian Nation.

Old 10-15-2018, 12:17 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,453,241 times
The founding fathers were cool with slavery and oppressing women, so who cares?

Times change and we all evolve. Our society and system of government evolve as well.

Lucky for us, we have a system for change in place.

Religion has no place in government.

Old 10-15-2018, 01:21 PM

Quote:
I don't go by word, or signatures because they are from men. Man changes like the wind (especially politicians), and man also frequently lies. I go by what I see, and America does not appear to act or look like a Christian Nation.
Perfect! That's a good thing, right? I mean, if you want a religious nation, Saudi Arabia, Iran or the Vatican would be your place to go to.

Secular is where it's at.

Old 10-15-2018, 01:27 PM

23,226 posts, read 10,508,445 times
k
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
I can see this being a lively thread. And I have seen pretty much all the attempts to argue that the founding fathers were Christians who DID intend America to be based on Christianity as a religion (I would accept that they may have thought it was a good moral basis and of course they accepted that God was real and had made everything).

In the end I would conclude that America is not a nation founded on Christianity, but it is a nation Full of Christianity.

Now over to you lot.
It is an impossibility that this nation was founded on Christianity, in my good opinion. Christianity was a legal sect of Judaism, Gentiles converted to the religion of Jesus, and there is no mistaking what Religion Jesus came walking in. So sorry bro, I am just rambling today, thought I would use ya, It's what I do.

I mean, I can honsestly believe that America is what it is from the direct result of the Bible, there is no doubt about that, but true Christianity is a Gentile married to a Jew where that Gentile is adopted, and this adoption into Israel was the point. The point was to take two men named Ephraim and Judah to make them one people in a time when Ephraim had been lost into the nations for 700 years when Jesus came. Hosea 2 says that God seeded those ten tribes as seeds that would one day bear fruit amongst all the nations and this in a single day known as the day of Jezreel.

That one day the numbers of those lost ten tribes will make the numbers of Judah look small and tiny because of the promised number of those found Gentiles is given the name,'' The sands of the seas.''

That a great day of Jezreel would come and cause the entire globe to become one religion where the entire world has joined the Jews of Judah and now the entire world is gathered as the sands of the seas to become one servant with Jews in the religion God has recorded.

Gentiles no longer come under the covenant that Messiah brought for Ephraim and Judah, and anyone can look up this covenant in Jer 31 or Ezekiel 37 or the 13 dozen other places showing this covenant instituted, and modern Christianity is just not there because they OBVIOUSLY ARE NOT ONE PEOPLE WITH THE JEWS OF JUDAH IN GOD'S RELIGION. It is that simple, if Christians were actually who they claimed to be, you would think them to be a Jew because they would be in the same religion, they would be Gentiles who absolutely adored the Jewish ways as they did in the beginning, they would love God's ways when they in fact, outlawed God in 325 A.D. and re enforced in Martin Luther, they had become enemies to the first Christianity.

That is the simple fact of the matter, the covenant is ONLY for the Jews of Judah and Gentiles who have converted to the religion of the Jews of Judah, obviously, Judah stands alone in a covenant with Gentiles who have converted to THEIR RELIGION.

On Pentecost, an invitation went out to Gentiles to offer those Gentiles a betrothal, Jews did not need a betrothal, Jews did not need an adoption, the adoption is about Gentiles being redeemded into Israel through a promised betrothal in hosea 2.

That Betrothal is ONLY offered to the Gentile, Christians can't get this in their heads, that when the wedding and the wedding feast come, there will be true submissive brides to the will of a Jewish husband while the family and friends of the husband are there to watch, they aren't there to get married, they represent the bridegroom.

So before a person could say that America was founded in Christianity, they would have to show that America was founded in Judaism.

Last edited by Hannibal Flavius; 10-15-2018 at 01:41 PM..

Old 10-15-2018, 01:35 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,276,762 times
Quote:
America as a "Christian Nation" is ancient history- unfortunately.
It's only unfortunate for you and people who think like you on this subject.

Old 10-15-2018, 03:54 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,667,120 times
Quote:
Well, why not take a look?

America Is a Christian Nation
If you wanna go by what those so-called "Founding Fathers" had to say...check this out from an old thread on this subject:

//www.city-data.com/forum/19971641-post60.html

Old 10-15-2018, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
If you wanna go by what those so-called "Founding Fathers" had to say...check this out from an old thread on this subject:

//www.city-data.com/forum/19971641-post60.html
Some of those quotes look suspiciously like they would not come from the ones they are attributed to them, especially Paine and Jefferson, and it only took me a few minutes to spot that. I don't suppose you have a reference, do you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality