Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2018, 07:12 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,656,375 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
Ok, Golden Man, I made my comment above without seeing this.

In other words, we need to fact check your references, because you don't.
That is true. I just do a search and take it as it comes.
It is also true that some stuff could be less than completely accurate. That's kinda the way it goes when a gazillion sites come up off a search. Even the stuff saying something is false could be false!
But...as you know, that wasn't my main point. My post #50 explains my opinion on the "Founding Fathers".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2018, 07:17 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,598,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
That is my hope, it's just not in Christianity, but I wait on a flood where the whole world becomes one religion where mankind evolves. At Least, those are the great hopes of the prophets when they speak about one world, one religion. That religion is Judaism of course. I will be called the king of Texas in that day and given the name,'' Oneiphorus.'' In the days of the coming theocracy, power will be doled out, but yeah, let the therocracy begin

I can only speak for myself and my own rule, but there shall be no Philistine passing through the borders of my land.
Me too.

That will happen when we all get rational and become atheists, running away from all ancient mythologies. Especially the ones that popped up in the middle east.

Old 10-15-2018, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
That is true. I just do a search and take it as it comes.
It is also true that some stuff could be less than completely accurate. That's kinda the way it goes when a gazillion sites come up off a search. Even the stuff saying something is false could be false!
But...as you know, that wasn't my main point. My post #50 explains my opinion on the "Founding Fathers".
Let me post a short video which explains better than I can as to what you just did:

https://youtu.be/Emc1M5F9I-E

Old 10-15-2018, 07:33 PM

23,173 posts, read 10,463,936 times
Quote:
Me too.

That will happen when we all get rational and become atheists, running away from all ancient mythologies. Especially the ones that popped up in the middle east.
Why would you think that was ever an option? I can only sympathize because I hope in the same thing, but I have scripture to rationalize and back up what I believe with other bible believers, I have a method to my madness.

But you?

What? You gonna come out with some new crazy pill that cures crazy?

You gonna come out with some kind of pill that vanquishes all hope?

You can't kill hope, I mean, I wished it was better news, I really do, but I know you are too damned smart to know that you can't EVER surpress crazy whether they be a God or not, or whether you erase everyone's mind, and then irradicate all religion with all the books and start a new, a hope in God would surely arise and there would be no stopping it.

Old 10-15-2018, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Let me post a short video which explains better than I can as to what you just did:

https://youtu.be/Emc1M5F9I-E
I sidestepped nothing. I told you just what I did.
Copy & Paste isn't "uneducated"...it is just what it is, Copy & Paste. It isn't like I changed anything that came up.
As if we know exaclty what anyone said over 250 years ago. Not like there is video.
I gave you the source of Paines stuff. Do you still think that is false now? Seemed legit to me.
And that stuff from Jefferson is repeated many places on the Web.
Did you do fullblown research on the 100% validity of every quote in the link you put up in your OP?
OTOH y'all gettin all bolloxed-up about it is very amusing. So, please don't stop.

Old 10-15-2018, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
I sidestepped nothing. I told you just what I did.
Copy & Paste isn't "uneducated"...it is just what it is, Copy & Paste. It isn't like I changed anything that came up.
As if we know exaclty what anyone said over 250 years ago. Not like there is video.
I gave you the source of Paines stuff. Do you still think that is false now? Seemed legit to me.
And that stuff from Jefferson is repeated many places on the Web.
Did you do fullblown research on the 100% validity of every quote in the link you put up in your OP?
OTOH y'all gettin all bolloxed-up about it is very amusing. So, please don't stop.
So you actually willy-nilly post stuff you find on the web.

Interesting. Most of us know better.

Old 10-15-2018, 08:37 PM

50,840 posts, read 24,359,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
This is a good illustration of the enigma that is our Founding Fathers, regarding their religious beliefs. Franklin also never joined a church, yet he contributed to more than a dozen churches in Philadelphia, including a Jewish synagogue. He was one of the editors of the Declaration of Independence, which, at his suggestion changed the wording from "We hold these truths to be sacred and un-deniable..." to "We hold these truths to be self-evident." He changed it from a more religious phrasing to a less religious phrasing.

So, just how religious was Franklin? Nobody alive today knows.
Oh no...conservative evangelicals all know!

Old 10-15-2018, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
The founding fathers were cool with slavery and oppressing women, so who cares?

Times change and we all evolve. Our society and system of government evolve as well.

Lucky for us, we have a system for change in place.

Religion has no place in government.
I would only argue with the statement that, "we all evolve".

Old 10-15-2018, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
I often wonder why Christians want to keep making the claim that America is a Christian nation. What's their point? That we should operate under a theocratic government?
Excellent question. It's sort of a fall-back proof that they're in the right...but to people of other beliefs (whether Buddhist or atheist or __________) it has no meaning whatsoever. And instead of persuading us, it's more likely to engender anger and resentment and push-back. They just weren't used to so much push-back until social media came along.

Old 10-15-2018, 09:20 PM

Quote:
So you actually willy-nilly post stuff you find on the web.

Interesting. Most of us know better.
Oh...I would say most do likewise.
Oh, and it isn't "willy-nilly"...it is info that comes up on the first page or two, so you know it is commonly looked at.
You didn't answer the question about the Paine citation. Guess you need better "spidey sense".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality