Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2018, 11:39 AM

7,943 posts, read 6,070,548 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
Hitler was religious, and not a secularist.
Indeed, Hitler banned and imprisoned atheist club members simply for being in atheist clubs. Hitler hated communism, and he was probably a leading proponent of the lie that to be a communist you had to be an atheist... even given that the USSR was composed of mostly Communist Orthodox Christians and Communist Muslims.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2018, 11:40 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,744,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
Hitler was religious, and not a secularist.
Indeed. He had no time for organised religion, not because he didn't believe it - he was not only a God -believer, but a believer in Jesus - but he thought it was weak. He rather regretted that Islam hadn't been the religion of Europe, but a Christianity that was as uncompromising as that would have suited him better.

We have posted many writings and speeches where Hitler classed atheism as one of the elements of society to be eradicated. It has of course been dismissed by the faithful as Hitler really being a secret atheist and lying about it.

Old 10-20-2018, 12:29 PM

4,747 posts, read 2,351,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiros7 View Post
so you are aguing that religion is the sole reason for division--not politics or ignorant secular ideology.

one of the most cruelest secularist, hitler, would agree with your above assertion. now, i dont agree with cruel dictators like hitler or stalin. i dont agree with hitler so i dont agree with your assertion.

tribal cohesion can be undermined by factors othen than religion. religion is very broad. also, religion can create commonality and cohesion of different cultures and socioeconomic classes, not that i am apologist for organizef religion or a theocracy. i dont agree with your generalization of religion that solely pinns it as the force of oppression and division. it is simply not true that religion is a bad force that oppresses and divides.

note: many charities provide food and assistance to many people regardless of their culture and belief

excuse unedited cell grammar
Hitler was raised Catholic, and spoke of God often. For example:

I believe today that my conduct is in accordance with the will of the Almighty Creator.
- Adolf Hitler, Mein Kampf, Vol. 1 Chapter 2

Even today I am not ashamed to say that, overpowered by stormy enthusiasm, I fell down on my knees and thanked Heaven from an overflowing heart for granting me the good fortune of being permitted to live at this time.
- Adolf Hitler, Mein Kampf, Vol. 1 Chapter 5

Old 10-20-2018, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tired of the Nonsense View Post

I believe today that my conduct is in accordance with the will of the Almighty Creator.

Even today I am not ashamed to say that, overpowered by stormy enthusiasm, I fell down on my knees and thanked Heaven from an overflowing heart for granting me the good fortune of being permitted to live at this time.
We were convinced that the people need and require this faith. We have therefore undertaken the fight against the atheistic movement, and that not merely with a few theoretical declarations: we have stamped it out.
- Adolf Hitler, Speech in Berlin, October 24, 1933

Old 10-20-2018, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
We were convinced that the people need and require this faith. We have therefore undertaken the fight against the atheistic movement, and that not merely with a few theoretical declarations: we have stamped it out.
- Adolf Hitler, Speech in Berlin, October 24, 1933
"My feeling as a Christian points me to my Lord and Savior as a fighter. It points me to the man who once in loneliness, surrounded only by a few followers, recognized these Jews for what they were and summoned men to fight against them and who, God's truth! was greatest not as a sufferer but as a fighter. In boundless love as a Christian and as a man I read through the passage which tells us how the Lord at last rose in His might and seized the scourge to drive out of the Temple the brood of vipers and adders. How terrific was his fight against the Jewish poison. Today, after two thousand years, with deepest emotion I recognize more profoundly than ever before the fact that it was for this that He had to shed his blood upon the Cross. As a Christian I have no duty to allow myself to be cheated, but I have the duty to be a fighter for truth and justice. And as a man I have the duty to see to it that human society does not suffer the same catastrophic collapse as did the civilization of the ancient world some two thousand years ago—a civilization which was driven to its ruin through this same Jewish people." Adolf Hitler, 1922
https://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Religi...f_Adolf_Hitler

Old 10-20-2018, 01:05 PM

So, with Hitler roundly debunked as a poster -boy for atheism and the majority of scientists not being poster -boys for Theism, (though evidence has been presented that doctors do seem to have God-belief), I'd say that this subject is done and dusted.

Old 10-20-2018, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
So, with Hitler roundly debunked as a poster -boy for atheism and the majority of scientists not being poster -boys for Theism, (though evidence has been presented that doctors do seem to have God-belief), I'd say that this subject is done and dusted.
It's interesting though that Christians continuously trot Hitler out as an example of of secular atheism. It's almost as though they are continuously inventing a reality that suits their sensibilities as they go along based on nothing more than, "this is what I prefer to believe, therefore it must be so."

Old 10-20-2018, 02:19 PM

241 posts, read 95,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tired of the Nonsense View Post

i have never read mein kampf. but he was terrible to the disable who he viewed as weak. hitler and stalin were terrible. stalin communist slavery claimed many lives. the slavery that took place during the ussr was terrible. hitler was so terrible and cruel that he enlisted children to join in the war.

it is never pleasant to read about the histories of dictatorships.

Old 10-20-2018, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiros7 View Post
i have never read mein kampf. but he was terrible to the disable who he viewed as weak. hitler and stalin were terrible. stalin communist slavery killed many.
Christianity has killed many also. This, as just one example:

Wikipedia
Waldensians

Western hemisphere.

Piedmont Easter
In January 1655, the Duke of Savoy commanded the Waldensians to attend Mass or remove to the upper valleys of their homeland, giving them twenty days in which to sell their lands. Being in the midst of winter, the order, of course, was intended to persuade the Vaudois to choose the former; however, the bulk of the populace instead chose the latter, abandoning their homes and lands in the lower valleys and removing to the upper valleys. It was written that these targets of persecution, including old men, women, little children and the sick "waded through the icy waters, climbed the frozen peaks, and at length reached the homes of their impoverished brethren of the upper Valleys, where they were warmly received."

By mid-April, when it became clear that the Duke's efforts to force the Vaudois to conform to Catholicism had failed, he tried another approach. Under the guise of false reports of Vaudois uprisings, the Duke sent troops into the upper valleys to quell the local populace. He required that the local populace quarter the troops in their homes, which the local populace complied with. But the quartering order was a ruse to allow the troops easy access to the populace. On 24 April 1655, at 4 a.m., the signal was given for a general massacre.

Print illustrating the 1655 massacre in La Torre, from Samuel Moreland's History of the Evangelical Churches of the Valleys of Piedmont, published in London in 1658
The Duke's forces did not simply slaughter the inhabitants. They are reported to have unleashed an unprovoked campaign of looting, rape, torture, and murder. According to one report by a Peter Liegé:

Little children were torn from the arms of their mothers, clasped by their tiny feet, and their heads dashed against the rocks; or were held between two soldiers and their quivering limbs torn up by main force. Their mangled bodies were then thrown on the highways or fields, to be devoured by beasts. The sick and the aged were burned alive in their dwellings. Some had their hands and arms and legs lopped off, and fire applied to the severed parts to staunch the bleeding and prolong their suffering. Some were flayed alive, some were roasted alive, some disemboweled; or tied to trees in their own orchards, and their hearts cut out. Some were horribly mutilated, and of others the brains were boiled and eaten by these cannibals. Some were fastened down into the furrows of their own fields, and ploughed into the soil as men plough manure into it. Others were buried alive. Fathers were marched to death with the heads of their sons suspended round their necks. Parents were compelled to look on while their children were first outraged [raped], then massacred, before being themselves permitted to die.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waldensians

Should you, as a Christian, be held accountable for the things that Christians have done in the name of Christianity? Stalin did not believe in God. And that is just about all he had in common with the majority of atheists.

Old 10-20-2018, 04:06 PM

241 posts, read 95,233 times
i wasnt alive during the terrible times of hitler and stalin. whether it is hitler, stalin or the cultural revolution, these times exemplified the worse of humanity. although i wasnt alive, i have read countless accounts of hitlers cruel acts , so i know how robotic the dictator was in regard to human life. although the evil hitler was a different era, he remains as a relevant talk point in debates and foreign policy to remind humanity of its past cruelty.

jesus taught that the second most important lesson was this: treat thy neighbor as thyself
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality