Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2018, 04:31 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,328,055 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiros7 View Post
i wasnt alive during the terrible times of hitler and stalin. whether it is hitler, stalin or the cultural revolution, these times exemplified the worse of humanity. although i wasnt alive, i have read countless accounts of hitlers cruel acts , so i know how robotic the dictator was in regard to human life. although the evil hitler was a different era, he remains as a relevant talk point in debates and foreign policy to remind humanity of its past cruelty.

jesus taught that the second most important lesson was this: treat thy neighbor as thyself
And both the US and Canada turned away a ship of Jewish refugees from Germany as they did not want Jews contaminating good Christian counties . Or the massacres of Muslims by Christians in the former Yugoslavia.

Not sure why you think physicals are the most skeptical and objective profession in any other endeavour than in medicine. Sort of like asking geologists about mental illnesses, not their field of expertise. I would never of thought that my doctors opinion of God would count for anything but their personal opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2018, 04:31 PM

4,747 posts, read 2,350,704 times
Quote:
i wasnt alive during the terrible times of hitler and stalin. whether it is hitler, stalin or the cultural revolution, these times exemplified the worse of humanity. although i wasnt alive, i have read countless accounts of hitlers cruel acts , so i know how robotic the dictator was in regard to human life. although the evil hitler was a different era, he remains as a relevant talk point in debates and foreign policy to remind humanity of its past cruelty.

jesus taught that the second most important lesson was this: treat thy neighbor as thyself
Notice that Jesus wrote NOTHING! So we don't really know what Jesus taught. Many people have taught a similar sentiment over the centuries, however.

Old 10-20-2018, 06:00 PM

241 posts, read 95,233 times
after reading these articles, i think one will understand just how digustingly robotic hitler was to vulnerable populations. these articles illustrate that hitler was indeed a robotic desensitized monster:

BBC - Ouch! (disability) - Fact - The Holocaust and disabled people: FAQ - frequently-asked questions

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/13/o...-disabled.html

Old 10-20-2018, 06:11 PM

8,226 posts, read 3,424,199 times
Atheists are the minority, in all professions and social classes. But on the internet they almost seem to be a majority. Or maybe they're just more outspoken so it seems like there's a lot of them.

It is probably true that less educated people are more likely to have supernatural beliefs. But I don't think that's because greater intelligence leads to atheism. I think it's because more intelligent people are usually more educated, and there is a lot of indoctrination in the education system. It's a cultural preference for secular humanism and materialism. People go to college and finally get a chance to reject the irrational and dogmatic religious beliefs they were taught.

Most people don't care enough one way or the other to investigate the question in depth. If they don't go to college, they are likely to stick with their childhood religion. If they go to college, they might convert to atheism and stick with that for life.

Those who actually care and actually investigate, probably wind up with a non-dogmatic belief system that is compatible with science.

Old 10-20-2018, 06:19 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,069,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tired of the Nonsense View Post
It's interesting though that Christians continuously trot Hitler out as an example of of secular atheism. It's almost as though they are continuously inventing a reality that suits their sensibilities as they go along based on nothing more than, "this is what I prefer to believe, therefore it must be so."
Indeed, it boggles the mind how many Muslims and Hindus do this as well.

Old 10-20-2018, 06:36 PM

Quote:

Many if not most Christians would claim that "thy neighbor" is only "thy fellow Christians and thy allies," and "all-neighbors loving" Christians don't seem to even put a dent in their fellow Christians fervor for war and bloodshed, let alone stop them.

"Take the log from out your own eye first," I've heard them say and rarely apply.

Old 10-20-2018, 06:38 PM

Quote:
after reading these articles, i think one will understand just how digustingly robotic hitler was to vulnerable populations. these articles illustrate that hitler was indeed a robotic desensitized monster:

BBC - Ouch! (disability) - Fact - The Holocaust and disabled people: FAQ - frequently-asked questions

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/13/o...-disabled.html
I'm confused. A robotic Christian in a Christian Nation "Gott Mitt Uns" is still a Christian in a majority Christian nation. If Hitler had some form of autism, I doubt all of Germany did as well.

What about the Chilean dictator Pinochet (with coup and assassinations launched, inculcated, and/or supported by the CIA)?

Old 10-20-2018, 09:00 PM

50,837 posts, read 24,347,720 times
Quote:
it is generally assumed that the less educated tend to be more conducive to beliefs of god or a creator

but contrary to popular belief, the most objective professionals, scientist and doctors, also believe in a god, creator or an afterlife.

given the objectivity of their professions, i wonder how such skeptics can make time to subjectively believe in a god or creator.

a uchicago study found that 76% of physicians believe in god,

another study found that two thirds of the worlds scientist believe in god or a creator.

another study found that more scientist believed in a god or creator than what was originally assumed. the study also found that the scientific community saw no real conflict between science and belief

here are some articles:

https://www.nbcnews.com/id/8318894/n...god-afterlife/

Survey on physicians’ religious beliefs shows majority faithful

https://m.phys.org/news/2015-12-worl...cientists.html
So your viewpoint is that majority rules.

Old 10-20-2018, 09:15 PM

241 posts, read 95,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post

although faith is prevalent in america, it is commonly assumed that people with low socioeconomic status and education tend to be more religious than the rest of the population

however, the studies illustrate that this mmisconception is not the case, and that educated also believe in a god or creator

Last edited by mensaguy; 10-23-2018 at 05:23 AM.. Reason: Fixed closing quote tag.

Old 10-20-2018, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post

although faith is prevalent in america, it is commonly assumed that people with low socioeconomic status and education tend to be more religious than the rest of the population

however, the studies illustrate that this mmisconception is not the case, and that educated also believe in a god or creator
"tend to be more religious" does not mean "are the only place where a majority believe in some vague or specific version of Deism or Theism."

The studies you cited only outline that, in fact, "poor and less educated" DO tend to be more religious than the rest of the population.

Like 90%>66%, No?

That is what "tend to be more" means.
But also "religious" is different from "accepting polytheist or restrictive monotheist."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality