Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2018, 05:05 AM

241 posts, read 95,233 times

Advertisements

it is generally assumed that the less educated tend to be more conducive to beliefs of god or a creator

but contrary to popular belief, the most objective professionals, scientist and doctors, also believe in a god, creator or an afterlife.

given the objectivity of their professions, i wonder how such skeptics can make time to subjectively believe in a god or creator.

a uchicago study found that 76% of physicians believe in god,

another study found that two thirds of the worlds scientist believe in god or a creator.

another study found that more scientist believed in a god or creator than what was originally assumed. the study also found that the scientific community saw no real conflict between science and belief

here are some articles:

https://www.nbcnews.com/id/8318894/n...god-afterlife/

Survey on physicians’ religious beliefs shows majority faithful

https://m.phys.org/news/2015-12-worl...cientists.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2018, 05:12 AM

7,943 posts, read 6,070,548 times
76% of physicians
66% of world scientists

Can be called Deists or Theists.
Although such numbers pale in comparison to the supernaturalist (whether secularized or theocratic) beliefs of the general population.
And are doubtful to coincide with any of the specifics of the various imagined ugly heavenly politics.
Still, congratulations. Do you share their reasons for believing? Are they good reasons?

I wonder what physicians and scientists (or general professional knowledge seekers) believed in just 2,000 years ago.

Old 10-20-2018, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousTruth View Post
76% of physicians
66% of world scientists

Can be called Deists or Theists.
Although such numbers pale in comparison to the supernaturalist (whether secularized or theocratic) beliefs of the general population.
And are doubtful to coincide with any of the specifics of the various imagined ugly heavenly politics.
Still, congratulations. Do you share their reasons for believing? Are they good reasons?

I wonder what physicians and scientists (or general professional knowledge seekers) believed in just 2,000 years ago.

personally, i can care less if a politician or celebrity believes in god

i find it amazing that the most objective professionals, scientist and doctors, can find room to believe in god or creator

Old 10-20-2018, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiros7 View Post

i find it amazing that the most objective professionals, scientist and doctors, can find room to believe in god or creator
These "objective professionals, scientist and doctors" are politely celebrated by you. There is no denying that.

And it seems you are not extending that celebrated politeness to elected officials nor popularly beloved artists.

Then why rely on election or popularity at all?

And if I may ask again: what are your reasons for believing? Should I be convinced by it? Would objective professionals, scientists, and doctors be convinced by it in the popular majority?

I have a feeling that you are relying on a logical fallacy of meaningless popularity and wrongful issue-based authority because there is some cognitive dissonance for an idea that you are trying to biasedly rationalize. Do you expect to gain something for yourself? For your loved ones? For everyone in the world? For only those who ally with your chosen and imagined "true" celebrity and politician?

I'd say it's three of those and that you've thrown most of your ancestors in the wayside. But only you might break that guess in one way or another. I do love happy surprises.

Old 10-20-2018, 05:49 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,591,051 times
I think its more that they believe we are part of 'something' more complex than "humans only". diest, pantheists, "cosmic whatever" are just words other people tag them with. Basically, we are data constructs in a larger data construct so whatever one would classify humans as we would classify the larger data set as.

many theist and atheist see this understanding as a threat to their statements of beliefs. The atheist in the anti-god sect of atheism wants to stifle, shunned, and bury any conversation about the logic of the above claim. They are recruiting members and discussions that revolve around the most valid understandings about our place in the universe doesn't help their marketing/recruiting. many theists are in the same boat, the theists tend to turn a reasonable claim into some dude waving his finger and going "poof there it is.".

the irreligious atheist will always outnumber anti-god atheist. deny everything (or anti-god), like Omni god, is just so far less reasonable at this point.

Jokers to the left; clowns to the right. here we are again; stuck in the middle.

Old 10-20-2018, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
I think its more that they believe we are part of 'something' more complex than "humans only". diest, pantheists, "cosmic whatever" are just words other people tag them with. Basically, we are data constructs in a larger data construct so whatever one would classify humans as we would classify the larger data set as.

many theist and atheist see this understanding as a threat to their statements of beliefs. The atheist in the anti-god sect of atheism wants to stifle, shunned, and bury any conversation about the logic of the above claim. They are recruiting members and discussions that revolve around the most valid understandings about our place in the universe doesn't help their marketing/recruiting. many theists are in the same boat, the theists tend to turn a reasonable claim into some dude waving his finger and going "poof there it is.".

the irreligious atheist will always outnumber anti-god atheist. deny everything (or anti-god), like Omni god, is just so far less reasonable at this point.

Jokers to the left; clowns to the right. here we are again; stuck in the middle.
No atheist I have ever heard from would disagree that humans are small in the grand scheme of things. What threat would "things are complex, there are tons more things out there than there is human/ness here" be to atheism?

irreligious atheist vs. anti-god atheist

That's like saying that someone that doesn't participate in sports because they don't particularly like any of them can't hate the concussive violence of American football.

Old 10-20-2018, 06:21 AM

16,785 posts, read 4,992,682 times
Quote:
it is generally assumed that the less educated tend to be more conducive to beliefs of god or a creator
No, it has been demonstrated that the less educated are more likely to believe in a god, along with people with a low standard of living.

Quote:
but contrary to popular belief, the most objective professionals, scientist and doctors, also believe in a god, creator or an afterlife.
Beg the question much? You do not know they are the most objective.

Quote:
given the objectivity of their professions, i wonder how such skeptics can make time to subjectively believe in a god or creator.
While others equally objective come to the opposite belief.

Quote:
a uchicago study found that 76% of physicians believe in god,
Physicians. I think you would find a similar result with car mechanics. But do they simply accept the existence of a god, or do they have credible arguments for one?

I am not going to accept the existence of a god just because a proctologist thinks there is one (or more).

Quote:
another study found that two thirds of the worlds scientist believe in god or a creator.
Again, do they simply accept the existence of a god, or do they have credible arguments for one?

Old 10-20-2018, 06:22 AM

16,785 posts, read 4,992,682 times
Quote:

Yet you do not find it amazing that the most objective professionals, scientist and doctors also believe otherwise.

Old 10-20-2018, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
Yet you do not find it amazing that the most objective professionals, scientist and doctors also believe otherwise.
well, i find that very,very interesting.

Old 10-20-2018, 07:25 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,397,063 times
Making time to believe in God...what a different way to put it...spiros, are you from another country than the USA?
Just curious.
Your topics are fun, btw...a welcome addition here.

Lol, I would think a Proctologist, especially, would believe in a God! Or at least wish there was one...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality