Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2018, 08:11 AM

241 posts, read 95,233 times

Advertisements

excuse unedited cellphone grammar

if some powerful force enabled me to do as i please without consequences, i wouldnt do it

i wouldnt do it because i have a moral compass that prevents me from taking advantage of somone else

note: i am not perfect or self righteous

one doesnt need religion or spitrituality to have s moral compass.

my moral compass is aligned to what is taught in the new testament . so when i became a believer it reaffirmed the things that were already morally relevant to me.

if you were enabled to do whatever, would you quell your moral compass and proceed?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2018, 08:34 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,738,332 times
What you are talking about is Human ethics and morality, which we all follow, even where it conflicts with religion, and when the Morality changes, religion tries to fight it, grudgingly gives in and then later claims it for God.

This is why the religious know that, even though they accuse atheists of running around raping, killing, stealing, raping, vandalizing, littering, raping, smoking in pubic areas, raping, and raping, they know that we don't do it, and neither would they, if they Lost Faith. Because they use the same Moral Code that atheists do.

Old 10-20-2018, 09:03 AM

to start, you are making a generalization of theist

second, you are assuming that all believer think and believe the same thing.

third, you are making an assumption of how i regard atheist

it is interesting to note that i used to be an agnostic---not that my new adherence to a god makes me special or self righteously moral,

a person does not need religion to have or acquire a moral compass

excuse cell phone grammar

Old 10-20-2018, 10:13 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,397,293 times
What do you mean by "without consequence"? That doesn't compute in my mind, because everything we do has consequences, even if it's only internally … maybe especially internally.

Old 10-20-2018, 11:40 AM

without moral consequence. assuming that one has one which could also condone their behavior

there was a study that correlated lying with adverse health

there was also a study that correlated forgiveness with beneficial health

so i guess morAl consequence if those are in fact the individual's morals. it is blatant that people do not share the same morals

articles:

https://apa.org/monitor/2017/01/ce-corner.aspx

Little white lies may be bad for your health* - NY Daily News

https://news.nd.edu/news/study-telli...relationships/

https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0806093944.htm

Old 10-20-2018, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
What do you mean by "without consequence"? That doesn't compute in my mind, because everything we do has consequences, even if it's only internally … maybe especially internally.

excuse unedited gramnar

without moral consequence. assuming that one has morals which could also condone their behavior

so i guess morAl consequence if those are in fact the individual's morals. it is blatant that people do not share the same morals

articles:

http://www.nydailynews.com/life-styl...icle-1.1132432

Old 10-20-2018, 11:47 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,738,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiros7 View Post
to start, you are making a generalization of theist

second, you are assuming that all believer think and believe the same thing.

third, you are making an assumption of how i regard atheist

it is interesting to note that i used to be an agnostic---not that my new adherence to a god makes me special or self righteously moral,

a person does not need religion to have or acquire a moral compass

excuse cell phone grammar
I am not pointing the finger at you, particularly, but of an argument that I have seen many times - that atheism leads to an absence of morality. This does not actually fits the facts. I have also seen many claims that Christians would not lose morality in that way if they lost their Faith - if you want to claim that you would, be my guest - and that they do not try to be moral to get into heaven or to earn Brownie - points with God, but because it's the right thing to do.

Thus they use the same moral basis that atheists do. Obviously I can't canvass every theist in the US, but I can generalise about those I have seen posting. If any of them want to say that they would run amok if they lost Godfaith, or that they are acting Morally just to please God, I'm sure we would all love to hear from them.

Quote:
without moral consequence. assuming that one has one which could also condone their behavior

articles:

But that not only describes a relative morality, but also points up that a relative morality can be beneficial.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 10-20-2018 at 01:16 PM.. Reason: last minute -edits

Old 10-20-2018, 11:58 AM

4,747 posts, read 2,350,704 times
Quote:
excuse unedited cellphone grammar

if some powerful force enabled me to do as i please without consequences, i wouldnt do it

i wouldnt do it because i have a moral compass that prevents me from taking advantage of somone else

note: i am not perfect or self righteous

one doesnt need religion or spitrituality to have s moral compass.

my moral compass is aligned to what is taught in the new testament . so when i became a believer it reaffirmed the things that were already morally relevant to me.

if you were enabled to do whatever, would you quell your moral compass and proceed?
Most people have a moral compass which they follow most of the time. If they did not, maintaining an ordered society would be impossible.

I do not believe in the existence of a supreme Being. Therefore I do not believe that there are absolute moral standards set down from on high by a supreme Being. The God of the Bible is a moral monster, in any event. I can see that living within an ordered society benefits my long term survival, however. To that end I can also see that treating others the way I would prefer that they treat me works to my own best interest.

It's called the golden rule, and the concept of the golden rule is far older than either Jesus, or Judaism. The golden rule is the moral compass that most people instinctively adhere to most of the time.

Old 10-20-2018, 01:03 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,328,055 times
I lack the imagination to be able to think of anything that I would want to do without consequences. Bungee jumping maybe. Bringing home a puppy

Old 10-21-2018, 10:12 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,608,522 times
This is similar to 'The Purge' movies...interestingly, in these movies, where all crime is legal for 12 hours, majority of the people focus on murder! I think if this happened in real life, many more people would be focusing on THEFT, money, electronics, drugs, cars, etc etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality