Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2018, 03:34 PM

17,161 posts, read 11,397,293 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
Denial has it's place too.
Again, I agree completely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2018, 03:48 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,328,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
Regarding this statement:

"You are exactly where you are supposed to be, doing exactly what you are supposed to be doing, otherwise you would be somewhere else doing something else."

What is your reaction to it?

what is your response to it?

And how is it a part of your own personal "religion and spirituality" beliefs?
Sometimes I am on CD instead of cutting the lawn or shoveling snow. Which am I supposed to do? And yes I do deal with life as best I can. No religion, spiruality or politics needed to shovel snow, wash dishes or pay the bills. N9t sure what you are looking for in these questions.

Old 10-28-2018, 04:21 PM

7,596 posts, read 4,165,130 times
Quote:

"You are exactly where you are supposed to be, doing exactly what you are supposed to be doing, otherwise you would be somewhere else doing something else."

I feel it is connected to another statement I have heard and usually live by, "What you want is what you got."

My reaction and response to it is that it is just another way of explaining personal responsibility.

Old 10-28-2018, 08:56 PM

18,759 posts, read 11,800,865 times
Yes I'm exactly where I'm supposed to be because this is where I want to be for now. I don't believe in an after life so I don't believe I'm being controlled by anything other than my free will. I wrestle with moving but I have properties weighing me down and friends and lots of kids keeping me here. I have to admit that there are still times I want to move. If I find that perfect spooky Victorian in that perfect location? I just might.

Old 10-29-2018, 04:52 AM

16,784 posts, read 4,989,284 times
Quote:

My reaction is that it is teleological thinking. My response is that I am here because all my forebears lived long enough to have sex and reproduce.

Old 10-29-2018, 08:45 AM

30,902 posts, read 33,013,051 times
If we have choice there's no way to know we're where we are supposed to be. If it's possible that we're supposed to be in this place or that, then there actually isn't any such thing as choice unless we are the ones who make the rules, and are following our own plan.

Old 10-29-2018, 08:56 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,738,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
We can build our new Temple on these foundations, build our new religion, I will be priest and you the king.
Nice offer, but then, taking a job now, I'd lose my pension.

Quote:
How about if instead of "doing exactly what i'm supposed to be doing"
It was
"facing and dealing with whatever situation or circumstances I find myself in right now"
Right. As distinct from the idea of a Plan, Destiny, Fate or Intent, implying thea Something or Somebody Knows where we are Going and has run out of capital letters...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
My reaction is that it is teleological thinking. My response is that I am here because all my forebears lived long enough to have sex and reproduce.
I sometimes think that I am indeed here because i wanted to be, and in spite of all the efforts of 75% percent of people I ever got involved with to make sure I was a lot worse off: stupid, sick, poor and likely to already be dead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
I've written about that definition. It's in a good book about fishing. It's called a priest because you use it to administer the last rites.
I suspected it was that and is as nicely ironic, given that the analogy has the Priest clubbing the victim to death while absolving him of his heresy and saying he saving his soul; rather on a par with the Buddhist "Saving the fish from drowning".

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 10-29-2018 at 09:10 AM..

Old 10-30-2018, 03:26 AM

3,636 posts, read 3,427,642 times
Quote:

What is your reaction to it? what is your response to it?
My first reaction is predictable I guess - which is that such statements imply things we have absolutely no evidence to think true at this time. Such as there being a plan or fate or intention somewhere behind our reality. The idea someone is "meant" to be doing something suggests - whether intended or not - and intentional mind behind our reality.

My second reaction to it is that it sounds like a cop out of easy comforting where someone wishes to avoid otherwise making any effort. Kind of like saying "He is in a better place" to someone at a funeral. I am sure the heart is in the right place making such utterances of course - usually motivated by seeing someone suffering and wishing to alleviate that suffering - but I see it as a lazy and sometimes damaging attempt.

For example the potential is very much there - when telling someone "You are where you are suppose to be or you would be somewhere else" - that they will be less inclined or motivated to better or improve their circumstance in the face of such "advice".

Or if they are particularly miserable when you tell this "advice" - thus suggesting there is some big plan with an invisible planner behind it - one also risks making that person wonder why the planner hates them so much. All too often have I seen someone who believes in a god and a plan for example - cry out in despair wondering what they did wrong to make that god hate them or wish for them to suffer.

At which point often the nonsense has to then be backed up with further nonsense - to appease the suffering caused by the first nonsense. So it is not that god hates the person or wants them to suffer - but god likes to test and prove the mettle of the purer souls. Yadda yadda yadda blah blah blah.

Old 10-30-2018, 03:39 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,738,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monumentus View Post
... Yadda yadda yadda blah blah blah.
After a while, religious apologetics gets like that. And then it gets worse...The woffle concludes and the abuse and accusations start. If not actual hellthreat.

Old 10-30-2018, 04:58 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,764,479 times
I found Science of Mind, aka SOM teachings/philosophy in the early 80's and we're told

Everything is just where it's supposed to be. When the Student is ready the Teacher will appear. Sometimes in life, many are never ready and continue in misery.

My only gripe with SOM is war and I am so against wars, but SOM it's supposed to be. It's all in the universal plan.

And they used god in their teachings and I would use Sun, Moon or just add another O and say GOOD.

So I would change some thinking for my own personal thinkings.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 10-30-2018 at 05:07 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality