Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2018, 03:13 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,738,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I found Science of Mind, aka SOM teachings/philosophy in the early 80's and we're told

Everything is just where it's supposed to be. When the Student is ready the Teacher will appear. Sometimes in life, many are never ready and continue in misery.

My only gripe with SOM is war and I am so against wars, but SOM it's supposed to be. It's all in the universal plan.

And they used god in their teachings and I would use Sun, Moon or just add another O and say GOOD.

So I would change some thinking for my own personal thinkings.
It sounds like it's time for you to start an Heretical sect of SOM. I'm reminded of a TV play I saw as a kid, where two drunks reformed through Faith. But eventually the one announces that he is starting his own religion.

"You remember that yours was against Harlotry, fornication and all lewdness, and though you didn't mind a bit of swearing, it was against all vileness, vain adornments and shameless women?" (1)

"Yeah?"

"Well, mine's basically the same as yours, but while you don't mind a bit of swearing, we don't mind a bit of drinking."

(1) as a New religion, it started with the Easy Option persecutions.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 10-31-2018 at 03:22 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2018, 04:42 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,393,070 times
All I know is I am exactly where I created myself to be.
Every single thing has been meant for 'me".
I have been stunned , like one that has had an NDE, to see this...that the
Universe is like a Swiss watch...the precision is immaculate and brilliant...
Do I have proof? How could anyone...you must see it for yourself.
And picture yourself with your mouth dropped and stunned when you see it.

Old 11-01-2018, 11:06 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,738,332 times
No thanks, I do the universe as it is, not like we imagine it to be (if it suddenly did something against the continuation of physical laws, then i might wonder if there was an intelligence out there), and I don't do self -brainwashing. There are plenty who would like to do that for me.

Old 11-01-2018, 11:34 AM

5,853 posts, read 5,284,845 times
Predestination vs free will. I believe life is a combination of the two. Imagine driving on a road. If you stay on that road, you will get to a certain place (predestination). But, you don't have to stay on that road. You can go on a different road if you like (free will). Again, if you stay on that second road you will get to another place (again, predestination).

My point is, you have the free will to change the course you are going in your life. The difficulty most people have is choosing which road to take. Some people are afraid to even take a new road even if the present one they are on is not the best one for them to be on.

And each road you have taken has brought you to where you are today-the good and the bad. But, each road (the good and the bad) can come with pitfalls that are totally out of your control. There had been a couple of times in my life when I realized that I was on a bad road and got off. Now, I am on a good road and hope that I continue to-but I do know there may (and probably will be) pitfalls that I can't control. And when that happens, I just may HAVE to take a different road whether I want to or not.

Cat

Old 11-01-2018, 11:40 AM

2,771 posts, read 2,305,161 times
You can't have "supposed" without a supposer.

Until you identify who is making these suppositions, you're spinning your wheels.

Old 11-01-2018, 12:26 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,764,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvette Ministries View Post

Until you identify who is making these suppositions, you're spinning your wheels.
What? I'm in control of what I do and where I am.

Old 11-01-2018, 12:42 PM

2,771 posts, read 2,305,161 times
Quote:
What? I'm in control of what I do and where I am.
Then you're the supposer.

Others' MMV.

Old 11-01-2018, 01:15 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,764,479 times
Quote:
Then you're the supposer.

Others' MMV.
I guess that's true if we talk about a supposer. And I don't feel like searching out MMV, what it means.

Old 11-01-2018, 02:06 PM

1,402 posts, read 477,888 times
Quote:
And I don't feel like searching out MMV, what it means.
Often seen as YMMV..... "Your Mileage May Vary."

Also known as "different strokes for different folks" or "to each his own" or "you are free to see it differently!"

Old 11-01-2018, 06:00 PM

15,862 posts, read 6,331,057 times
Quote:

Some like their wheels spinning.

Well, I tell them there's no problem
Only solutions

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVXR2LYeFBI
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality