Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2018, 08:13 PM

22,210 posts, read 19,238,916 times

Advertisements

Regarding this statement:

"You are exactly where you are supposed to be, doing exactly what you are supposed to be doing, otherwise you would be somewhere else doing something else."

What is your reaction to it?

what is your response to it?

And how is it a part of your own personal "religion and spirituality" beliefs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2018, 09:35 PM

6,115 posts, read 3,092,120 times
I think it’s a tough one to answer, because in a sense what we are saying in the first part of the sentence, is that we don’t have a choice.

If you look at it from God’s view then yes, we are doing what we are supposed to do because God already knows where we should be at what time, and what should one be doing.

But from human’s view - we may not necessarily know.

10 years from now on a Sat night at 9 PM, where would I be and what will I be doing?
I don’t know the answer to that but God fully knows.

The second part of the sentence (starting from “otherwise”) does not seem to blend in very well with the first part - I don’t even know what does it mean?

Old 10-27-2018, 09:53 PM

22,210 posts, read 19,238,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
I think it’s a tough one to answer, because in a sense what we are saying in the first part of the sentence, is that we don’t have a choice.

If you look at it from God’s view then yes, we are doing what we are supposed to do because God already knows where we should be at what time, and what should one be doing.

But from human’s view - we may not necessarily know.

10 years from now on a Sat night at 9 PM, where would I be and what will I be doing?
I don’t know the answer to that but God fully knows.

The second part of the sentence (starting from “otherwise”) does not seem to blend in very well with the first part - I don’t even know what does it mean?
we do have a choice. we have free will to choose whether to stay where we are or to go somewhere else.
where we are now is where we are supposed to be but it doesn't mean we stay there forever.

Old 10-27-2018, 10:30 PM

23,173 posts, read 10,463,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
Regarding this statement:

"You are exactly where you are supposed to be, doing exactly what you are supposed to be doing, otherwise you would be somewhere else doing something else."

What is your reaction to it?

what is your response to it?

And how is it a part of your own personal "religion and spirituality" beliefs?
Yup, exactly where I am supposed to be, behold, I am here. Anytime I can get the word behold in there is a good day.

Old 10-27-2018, 10:39 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,744,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
we do have a choice. we have free will to choose whether to stay where we are or to go somewhere else.
where we are now is where we are supposed to be but it doesn't mean we stay there forever.
I agree, what influences us is conditions and ourselves. There is no Divine Plan, no Fate. and no Destiny. Or I don't see any evidence for it, logic behind it or need to believe it.

Old 10-28-2018, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
I agree, what influences us is conditions and ourselves. There is no Divine Plan, no Fate. and no Destiny. Or I don't see any evidence for it, logic behind it or need to believe it.
Talking in terms of logic

If there was no plan and no destiny THEN why are we ALL moving in ONE direction? And that direction is reaching the ends of our lives?

Old 10-28-2018, 12:37 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,744,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
Talking in terms of logic

If there was no plan and no destiny THEN why are we ALL moving in ONE direction? And that direction is reaching the ends of our lives?
If we were all moving in one direction - assuming it was the direction best for all of us- it would be very nice, and I probably would not feel the need to be posting here.

Old 10-28-2018, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
If we were all moving in one direction - assuming it was the direction best for all of us- it would be very nice, and I probably would not feel the need to be posting here.
You can deny it all you want - but IMO, it’s the same process and same one direction for everyone. We are all moving towards the end of our lives. Everyone is going in that direction.

Those before us, have gone into that direction and those after us, will most likely also go in that direction .

Old 10-28-2018, 12:48 AM

15,862 posts, read 6,333,872 times
I don't like the "supposed to" or the "doing" in that statement. I can agree with a person is where they are at because each stage is part of the process. I'm not supposed to be doing anything.

Old 10-28-2018, 12:51 AM

23,173 posts, read 10,463,936 times
I don't believe in free will because I don't believe in time, time is relative, and thus, it doesn't exist. Look up in the sky and you are looking 4 billions of years back in the past as if it is happening in real time when what you are looking at no longer exists, it's just your perspective, and you are already dead to somebody living elsewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality