Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2019, 09:37 PM

50,977 posts, read 24,467,741 times

Advertisements

...he's frustrated, too:

https://baptistnews.com/article/im-e...4#.XT5pk-hKiiz
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2019, 09:56 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,235,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
His spirituality has evolved. As have those Christians who try to model themselves after Christ, rather than slavishly follow a decrepit old rule book.

Fundies remain stubbornly spiritually retarded and mired forever between the covers of that musty old book.

Old 07-28-2019, 10:29 PM

50,977 posts, read 24,467,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
His spirituality has evolved. As have those Christians who try to model themselves after Christ, rather than slavishly follow a decrepit old rule book.

Fundies remain stubbornly spiritually retarded and mired forever between the covers of that musty old book.
I think that's a fair analysis of the article. I'm a little surprised the organization published it.

Old 07-29-2019, 04:52 AM

12,918 posts, read 16,891,472 times
Progressive Baptist.

Old 07-31-2019, 10:52 PM

1,714 posts, read 1,152,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
"Many will say to me in that day: ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and expel demons in your name, and perform many powerful works* in your name?’ And then I will declare to them: ‘I never knew* you! Get away from me, you workers of lawlessness!’"-Matthew 7:22

It matters what teachings a person who identifies as Christian follows.

Old 08-05-2019, 11:46 PM

3,807 posts, read 3,009,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hd4me View Post
"Many will say to me in that day: ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and expel demons in your name, and perform many powerful works* in your name?’ And then I will declare to them: ‘I never knew* you! Get away from me, you workers of lawlessness!’"-Matthew 7:22

The "I never knew you" quote, is the most misquoted quote out of the Bible.
Only "the narrow gate" comes close in Christian and Denomination exclusivity.
I just about vomit when I hear them now.

Old 08-06-2019, 01:45 AM

50,089 posts, read 20,789,459 times
Quote:

Derek seems to have hit the nail on the head. The quote is actually saying that those who claim that citing the doctrine justifies them while not doing what is right, are in the wong. In actuality, it is putting humanist ethics above Christian doctrine.

That is why the Baptist minister is also following what's right rather than what's doctrine. But the quote that hd4me rolled out supports the minister, not hd4 me.

Old 08-06-2019, 11:09 AM

1,714 posts, read 1,152,931 times
Quote:

It matters what teachings a person who identifies as Christian follows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek41 View Post
The "I never knew you" quote, is the most misquoted quote out of the Bible.
Only "the narrow gate" comes close in Christian and Denomination exclusivity.
I just about vomit when I hear them now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Derek seems to have hit the nail on the head. The quote is actually saying that those who claim that citing the doctrine justifies them while not doing what is right, are in the wong. In actuality, it is putting humanist ethics above Christian doctrine.

That is why the Baptist minister is also following what's right rather than what's doctrine. But the quote that hd4me rolled out supports the minister, not hd4 me.

This Scripture is meant for people who call themselves "Christians." What does it mean to be Christian?
Christian = Followers of Christ
To be a follower of Christ means you voluntarily embrace his teachings and your actions reflect his teachings.
Just because you belong to a Christian church or call yourself a Christian does not a Christian make.
And just because one follows a doctrine shouldn't set your keyboard ablaze.
There isn't anything wrong in following a doctrine as long as it's in line with what Christ and the apostles taught.
If it isn't then the doctrine should be tossed out.
Why did you not understand what Jesus meant?

Old 08-06-2019, 12:27 PM

50,089 posts, read 20,789,459 times
I might ask you the same; and why do you ignore what Jesus actually said (according to the Gospels) and make it seem that he is supporting the slavish following of the religious laws while ignoring the urging to decent behavior that was the spirit of the teaching?

Why in fact do you follow the "Ghost Bible"; one that exists in your head and says not what the actual Bible says, but what you would like it to say?

Old 08-06-2019, 12:54 PM

63,940 posts, read 40,210,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
I might ask you the same; and why do you ignore what Jesus actually said (according to the Gospels) and make it seem that he is supporting the slavish following of the religious laws while ignoring the urging to decent behavior that was the spirit of the teaching?
Amen, Arq. You are getting it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality