Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2018, 02:23 PM

23,165 posts, read 10,459,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosends View Post
No, one cannot start with the Talmud. If one starts with the Talmud, one will be very confused. Any discussion of Judaism that wants to focus on it as a religion should look at the corpus of its historical texts or of its normative laws, both with the extensive explanation provided by that religion itself, and study the texts in their original language. The Talmud is neither of those two things, so starting with it would be a foolish choice. Starting with an English translation would be even more foolish.
Great answer, and you could have posted 10 more pages like this, I thought I knew everything for 40 years until I looked into Judaism to realize who much I didn't know, I thought I understood the bible after reading it 100 times, but I found out there was a mountain of things I didn't know, and what I found was just the tip of the iceburg of my ignorance.

Old 11-02-2018, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
But those who love are born of God (conceived by God) and know God which is the necessary precursor state to being born again as Spirit upon death.
Born again is a term thrown out by people who don't know what it means. Pregnancy takes place and then comes the great birthing pains for years, and we aren't waiting on death to be born again.

Revelation is showing how a person is born again, Revelation 12 is specific to this purposd where it shows real live people about to give birth while alive. You give birth to a new born creature that is caught up to God to sit in heavenly places while you remain and finish this life.

Old 11-02-2018, 02:32 PM

32,530 posts, read 22,043,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
The topic of this thread is: Can someone explain what the hatred for the Jews is based on?

Hatred of blacks and/or racism is off topic and [probably] violates the Terms Of Service. Yes, this is a sensitive topic, but (at least for the most part), people have been discussing it civilly.

Please carry on. Civilly. That would mean leaving out Stormfront and hatred of blacks.

Sorry, brother...

Old 11-02-2018, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post
Riiiiiight. Sure you do. Do they SCREAM IT IN YOUR FACE????? Let me guess....they are burning crosses down there, everyday on your lawn?

You people are hysterical. Always the victim.

And do NOT tell me who/what I know. You do NOT speak for me, sir.
You people?

I am not a Jew.

Maybe you don't see it because every Christianity forum is not speaking against and bad mouthing you and your people. You don't see Gentiles trying to show that they have replaced Jews and Judaism to then begin saying how God has cursed the Jews, and how Christians have obtained all the promises God spoke to the Jews.

Gentiles claiming to be the real Jew is no New thing, and Jesus speaks of this in Revelation twice in showing people who claim to be Jews but who are liars. Revelation 2 and Revelation 3, Jesus says that Gentiles are claiming to be Jews when they are not Jews but lie, and he also says that he will make those liars come to the feet of real Jews in asking forgiveness. It was true then and it is true today, for 3000 years Gentiles have been claiming to be the real Jews in replacing Jews. Gentiles claiming to be the true Israel is no new thing.

Old 11-02-2018, 03:02 PM

22,194 posts, read 19,233,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Racism of any sort will not be tolerated, per the TOS. Judaism is a religion as well as the family heritage of many Jews. Being a religion, it is certainly appropriate for a forum dedicated to discussing Religion and Spirituality. What you can't see are the posts that have been deleted from the thread. I caught one post and deleted it this morning 5 minutes after it was posted. I doubt many of you even saw it. Due to the potential for trouble, we've tried to watch this thread carefully. As a matter of fact, there is one post we're still thinking about deleting.
since this post is not in red font, it is Mensa posting "not" as a moderator. So my response to the post is to him without his Mod hat on.
regarding the statement in bold "Being a religion, it is certainly appropriate for a forum dedicated to discussing Religion and Spirituality"

I am pointing out that what is being discussed in the responses is not religion.
what is being discussed is the hatred of Jews.
the topic of this forum right in the title is hatred for the Jews.

not seeing it is denying it and dismissing it and minimizing it

and for a religious comparison....what would your reaction be to a thread with topic and opening post of....
Tell us what the hatred of Muslims is based on? Is it just the belief that the 53-year-old Prophet Muhammad had sex with a 9 year old girl? Or is it more than that?

How long would that thread stay open? What kind of responses would it elicit?
Please, please, please anyone go back and read the opening post and the thread title, and draw a parallel yourself.
That is an example I am using to show the offensiveness of the opening post and of this thread.

That example used for comparison in no way reflects my views, nor is it anything I would ever say or post, and I feel sick to my stomach even writing it.
Because I can see (even if so many others can not) that it is hate. And hate posts incite hate. And hate incites violence.
And because it is religion bashing. And bashing religion is a violation of Terms of Service on CD.

Does the example given just above invite a theological discussion? Does it invite a discussion of religion and spirituality? Does it invite a nuanced discussion of Islam doctrine? Does it invite thoughtful responses and academic discourse on comparative religion?

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 11-02-2018 at 04:08 PM..

Old 11-02-2018, 03:07 PM

10,098 posts, read 4,091,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
Born again is a term thrown out by people who don't know what it means. Pregnancy takes place and then comes the great birthing pains for years, and we aren't waiting on death to be born again.

Revelation is showing how a person is born again, Revelation 12 is specific to this purposd where it shows real live people about to give birth while alive. You give birth to a new born creature that is caught up to God to sit in heavenly places while you remain and finish this life.

You saw that I put it in quotes? I wasn't trying start a theological debate - the "born again" was in quotes so to classify.

Old 11-02-2018, 04:11 PM

22,194 posts, read 19,233,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
since this post is not in red font, it is Mensa posting "not" as a moderator. So my response to the post is to him without his Mod hat on.
regarding the statement in bold "Being a religion, it is certainly appropriate for a forum dedicated to discussing Religion and Spirituality"

I am pointing out that what is being discussed in the responses is not religion.
what is being discussed is the hatred of Jews.
the topic of this forum right in the title is hatred for the Jews.

not seeing it is denying it and dismissing it and minimizing it

and for a religious comparison....what would your reaction be to a thread with topic and opening post of....
Tell us what the hatred of Muslims is based on? Is it just the belief that the Prophet Muhammad married a 6-year-old girl playing with dolls, and had sex with her when she was a 9year old child and he was 54 years old? Or is it more than that?

How long would that thread stay open? What kind of responses would it elicit?
Please, please, please anyone go back and read the opening post and the thread title, and draw a parallel yourself.
That is an example I am using to show the offensiveness of the opening post and of this thread.

That example used for comparison in no way reflects my views, nor is it anything I would ever say or post, and I feel sick to my stomach even writing it.
Because I can see (even if so many others can not) that it is hate. And hate posts incite hate. And hate incites violence.
And because it is religion bashing. And bashing religion is a violation of Terms of Service on CD.

Does the example given just above invite a theological discussion? Does it invite a discussion of religion and spirituality? Does it invite a nuanced discussion of Islam doctrine? Does it invite thoughtful responses and academic discourse on comparative religion?
It is hate speech because it is about hating people.
Not "a doctrine" not "a religion" not "a theology"

it is a thread pure and simple to discuss hatred of people (in this case Jews)
that is not discussing religion and spirituality.
that is listing reasons to excuse, justify, defend, minimize, rationalize and deny hate of people.

that is what hate speech is.

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 11-02-2018 at 04:30 PM..

Old 11-02-2018, 04:54 PM

16,677 posts, read 15,680,560 times
This is the Opening Post of this thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tired of the Nonsense View Post
Pittsburgh synagogue gunman told SWAT he wanted all Jews to die, criminal complaint says
https://www.cnn.com/2018/10/28/us/pi...ing/index.html

Is hated for the Jews based entirely on the belief that the Jews were responsible for the death of Jesus? Or is there more to it than that?
It is obvious from the phrase "belief that the Jews were responsible for the death of Jesus" that this is relevant to Religion and Spirituality.

We don't need to discuss any further whether this is appropriate for this forum.

Old 11-03-2018, 05:51 AM

16,784 posts, read 4,989,284 times
Deleted, as it covered other areas as well as religion.

Old 11-03-2018, 05:54 AM

7,595 posts, read 4,165,130 times
Jewish people are hated for their beliefs or what people claim to be their beliefs. I believe the later part plays the biggest role, which is non-Jewish people misrepresenting their faith as it is today.

Last edited by elyn02; 11-03-2018 at 06:04 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality