Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2018, 07:48 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,043,151 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by monumentus View Post
Ah the old "Call someone clueless and run away without actually rebutting them in any way" move. Nothing to see here then.

Ah so I am not clueless after all - given people are doing _exactly_ what I was talking about. There are indeed people of that religion going around performing baptisms on people who are not around to actually protest it.

However in your rush to lash out at me with a one liner that did not actually explain your position - you missed the point of mine. Which is that any claim over - or uninvited ministrations over - people outside your group who never asked for it is _always_ going to generate ire from some people.

Whether it is Catholics changing their own Canon Law to prevent people formally defecting - or Mormons going around performing rituals or minstrations on the deceased who never invited it - or Jews claiming other people to be Jews based on their parentage - this is going to cause ire in some people somewhere.

Well at least you have moved on from misinterpretating the censorship issue. However once again it is _you_ not me who does not know what they are talking about because once again there are Jews and other people who simply do not agree with that position.

You are talking about _one_ position on the matter and then running around acting like it is the de facto correct, or only, position on the matter. A move that only suggests you - and no one else but you - are the one not knowing what you are talking about.

I repeat - since you thing ignoring it makes it not true - Go talk to someone of Karaite Judaism sometime for example. While some have also changed halakhic requirements so that a child of any Jewish parent - regardless of gender - can claim a Jewish identity.

And - more importantly I feel - such a child who does not claim Jewish identity under this reform is considered to have forfeited his/her Jewish identity.

So this need to claim people as Jewish who do not claim it themselves - or who claim it is only and solely maternal in nature - are not the sole and only opinion or approach out there. So let us stop pretending they are. Or - as I said - go talk to some Karaite Judaism followers and tell _them_they do not know what they are talking about. Since you appear to think you know their position better than they know it themselves.
Sorry, I go by what the Torah says...And it says that it is passed through the mother...Now, tribal affiliation, that is passed through the father...And Karaites, that’s another issue altogether...

Old 11-11-2018, 08:53 AM

10,098 posts, read 4,091,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
The only religious people I see persecuted on a large scale today are Muslims. Just because some crazy person shot up a synagogue and said crazy person things, doesn't mean people hate Jews. And people don't hate Jews. Saying so is just an easy way to manipulate reactions and press.
Christians/Christian posts on this forum are trashed at a rate of 19 to 1 on this forum, comparable to Judaism/Jewish posts (and there's not much activity in the Islam forum, though for sure Islam gets it share or hatred).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by elyn02 View Post
So hate comes from ignorance?

Not necessarily. Some look at their own literature (the Talmud, for example) and come to a conclusion that isn't good.

Last edited by Kavalier; 11-11-2018 at 09:01 AM..

Old 11-11-2018, 08:57 AM

2,676 posts, read 1,266,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post
Not necessarily. Some look at their own literature (the Talmud, for example) and come to a conclusion that isn't good.
Those who do that, do so in ignorance as one cannot just "look" at the Talmud and come to a particular conclusion.

Old 11-11-2018, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosends View Post
Those who do that, do so in ignorance as one cannot just "look" at the Talmud and come to a particular conclusion.
Well, people "look" at parts of the New Testament (and Old) and come to poor conclusions every day regarding Christianity, and all over this forum.

Just look at this thread.

Old 11-11-2018, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Well, people "look" at parts of the New Testament (and Old) and come to poor conclusions every day regarding Christianity, and all over this forum.

So how does that claim relate to the question whether anti-Semitism stems from ignorance? Your stated position when answering the question

"So hate comes from ignorance?"

Was

"Not necessarily. Some look at their own literature (the Talmud, for example) and come to a conclusion that isn't good."

This would indicate that you view "looking" at the Talmud as not being ignorant. My point is that looking at it is still ignorance. Any comment about other texts is irrelevant.

Are you saying that taking a "look" at the Talmud is not ignorance?

Old 11-11-2018, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosends View Post
Any comment about other texts is irrelevant.
So you're saying only Judaism should be exempt from scrutiny?

Old 11-11-2018, 09:19 AM

Quote:
So you're saying only Judaism should be exempt from scrutiny?
I don't recall saying that. Would you like to show me where I did?

If you read what I wrote, you'd know that if there is a question about ignorance vis-à-vis Judaism, then making the claim that looking at an encyclopediac text resolves ignorance is wrong and that saying "others do it in regards to other texts" is irrelevant.

If you insist on cutting bits out so you can claim something different then don't expect to be taken seriously.

Old 11-11-2018, 09:40 AM

16,784 posts, read 4,989,284 times
Quote:
Christians/Christian posts on this forum are trashed at a rate of 19 to 1 on this forum, comparable to Judaism/Jewish posts (and there's not much activity in the Islam forum, though for sure Islam gets it share or hatred).
Selection bias. More Christians come here than Jews and Muslims.

Old 11-11-2018, 09:41 AM

16,784 posts, read 4,989,284 times
Quote:

I know. Christians can not even understand their own book.

Old 11-11-2018, 10:31 AM

7,595 posts, read 4,165,130 times
Quote:
Can these conclusions be found in the "Protocols" book?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality