Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2018, 08:17 AM

2,854 posts, read 2,053,876 times

Advertisements

If God was going to create a universe
I don't believe he would create a universe like ours.

God would create a universe that was doubling in volume every generation so that there would always be room and food enough for all the hungry mouths. Animals would neither need to, nor be able to, eat each other. Injured animals would regenerate.

And that's not even considering things like the plague or floods or hurricanes.

Our universe is Tiny.
Starting with 2 people and doubling the population every 100 years would in only 27,000 years result in enough people to completely fill the observable universe 

Last edited by granpa; 11-13-2018 at 08:32 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2018, 08:41 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,195,004 times
I thought the universe was expanding. Even if it isn't, I have a hunch it's big enough to accommodate a few gazillion more entities.

Old 11-13-2018, 08:51 AM

11,102 posts, read 7,168,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by granpa View Post
Our universe is Tiny. 
Uh huh

Old 11-13-2018, 08:56 AM

10,535 posts, read 6,169,672 times
Quote:

God would create a universe that was doubling in volume every generation so that there would always be room and food enough for all the hungry mouths. Animals would neither need to, nor be able to, eat each other. Injured animals would regenerate.

Our universe is Tiny.
Starting with 2 people and doubling the population every 100 years would in only 27,000 years result in enough people to completely fill the observable universe 

I think you are talking about the earth, not the universe.

There is plenty of room in the universe. And double it? The universe is most likely already infinite. It's about 46 billion light years to the edge of the observable universe. 'Observable' being the operative word from our vantage point. If you could travel to the edge, you'd probably see a similar universe in all directions.

I kinda get your point though. Not a lot of point having all this room to move about when humans can't actually expand to live in it beyond our own earth.

Interesting thread.
You could have asked the question: "If you were god and could build a universe, what would you include?"

Last edited by Cruithne; 11-13-2018 at 10:15 AM..

Old 11-13-2018, 09:11 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,393,070 times
And as I see it...glass as half full...the Creator things big....so big, He placed these 2 humans on Earth...
a teeny pair of lungs each and surrounded the entire planet with SO much oxygen it boggles the mind.

Why, if you held your thumb up to the sky...you'd be blocking 10,000 galaxies...
move it a foot....10,000 more straight out...ref Hubble telescope.

"The Disappearance of the Universe" and "The Holographic Universe" are fun books.

Old 11-13-2018, 10:11 AM

33,249 posts, read 26,463,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
I think you are talking about the earth, not the universe.

There is plenty of room in the universe. And double it? The universe is most likely already infinite. It's about 4.6 billion light years to the edge of the observable universe. 'Observable' being the operative word from our vantage point. If you could travel to the edge, you'd probably see a similar universe in all directions.

I kinda get your point though. Not a lot of point having all this room to move about when humans can't actually expand to live in it beyond our own earth.

Interesting thread.
You could have asked the question: "If you were god and could build a universe, what would you include?"
You said the edge of the observable Universe is 4.6 billion light years away. Is that what you meant to say? Or did you mean to say 46 billion light years which is what it is actually estimated to be? Or actually about 45.7 billion light years.

https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/articl...able-universe/

If the Universe is indeed infinite, this would suggest according to some cosmologists, though not all agree, that since there are only a finite number of ways in which matter can combine, that there are an infinite number of parallel earths that are exactly identical to our earth, in which there are an infinite number of identical copies of ourselves, as well as an infinite number of earths which are nearly identical but have some differences.

Against;
''Francisco José Soler Gil at the University of Sevilla and Manuel Alfonseca at the Autonomous University of Madrid have looked at two different proposals – one based on classical cosmology and the other on quantum mechanics – that contend that we live in an infinite universe in which history is repeated an infinite number of times in space. They have picked apart both proposals and argue that both are highly speculative, despite often being presented as plausible ideas.''

Read more at: https://phys.org/news/2013-01-dont-i...tists.html#jCp
For;
There are only 10⁸⁰ particles in the observable Universe, so that's much less than the possible configurations of matter in a cubic meter. If the Universe is truly infinite, if you travel outwards from Earth, eventually you will reach a place where there's a duplicate cubic meter of space. The further you go, the more duplicates you'll find.

Ooh, big deal, you think. One hydrogen pile looks the same as the next to me. Except, you hydromattecist, you'll pass through places where the configuration of particles will begin to appear familiar, and if you proceed long enough you'll find larger and larger identical regions of space, and eventually you'll find an identical you. And finding a copy of yourself is just the start of the bananas crazy things you can do in an infinite Universe.

In fact, hopefully you'll absorb the powers of an immortal version of you, because if you keep going you'll find an infinite number of yous. You'll eventually find entire duplicate observable universes with more yous also collecting other yous. And at least one of them is going to have a beard.

Read more at: https://phys.org/news/2015-03-univer...inite.html#jCp

Old 11-13-2018, 10:15 AM

10,535 posts, read 6,169,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
You said the edge of the observable Universe is 4.6 billion light years away. Is that what you meant to say? Or did you mean to say 46 billion light years which is what it is actually estimated to be? Or actually about 45.7 billion light years.

Yes, typo, sorry.
Corrected.

Old 11-13-2018, 11:44 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,027,780 times
wow

Old 11-13-2018, 12:23 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,587,667 times
Quote:

Our universe is Tiny.
I get it, but its just such an earth bound view. Humans deciding whats moral. I keep thinking of ants being all po-ed when one of there mates die all of sudden, all because we forgot our phone in the car and had to run back and get it.

maybe god is removing hunger as fast as it can. I mean, we genetically engineer a lot of things these days. What is stopping us from engineering human's? I see humans stopping us. If we followed the universes laws we could it a lot faster.

Old 11-13-2018, 06:08 PM

6,115 posts, read 3,090,907 times
Quote:

Our universe is Tiny.
Then the world and universe would never have an end. So what’s the point?

What you are saying essentially is, God would’ve created us and entered us straight into heaven.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality