Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2018, 09:42 AM

50,810 posts, read 24,321,239 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
Because I can not rep you again.
Same back at ya for many of your posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2018, 09:46 AM

18,250 posts, read 16,920,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
No, the Christians will just invent even more straw people.

They can't if they're extinct.

Quote:
2067: the end of British Christianity
Between 2001 and 2011 the number of Christians born in Britain fell by 5.3 million — about 10,000 a week. If that rate of decline continues, Christianity will come to an end in 2067.
https://www.spectator.co.uk/2015/06/...-christianity/

Christianity is falling like a stone in educated countries and rising only in extremely poor uneducated ones. No wonder the RCC tried to keep the people in ignorance for centuries. And it worked for a long time. But scientific advancement is like a snowball down a mountainside and Christianity is like a house at the bottom.

My prediction: John Chau's brutal death has sent shockwaves of fear throughout the mission field. As more Christians secularize they will see a hard and dangerous life out in 3rd world jungles evangelizing for Jesus as abhorrent and choose to stay at home raising a family in the comfort and safety of their own environment. Suffering for Jesus' sake will become a passé idea, even a stupid one.

Last edited by thrillobyte; 11-30-2018 at 09:54 AM..

Old 11-30-2018, 11:18 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,509,987 times
Missionaries have probably brought more disease, death and destruction to various societies than they have brought Christianity to.

The missionary in this case broke Indias law of protection to protect that tribe from intruders. I don't think it proves or disproves Jesus.

Last edited by Miss Blue; 11-30-2018 at 12:21 PM..

Old 11-30-2018, 01:21 PM

5,912 posts, read 2,604,822 times
This guy single handily spearheaded the NEW definition of missionary position.

Praise jesus/god

Old 11-30-2018, 01:44 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,020,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
It seems not. One contact -party took along an Islander from nearby Andaman, but they couldn't understand each other. The language does not appear to be understood.

I don't blame you - the article does make the claim "and studying at a respected linguistic institute in order to learn this previously undocumented language." There was one peaceful contact, on film. You can see the Sentinelanese being quite chummy with the visitors, climbing about in the boats. Probably the words they used were transcribed, if not understood, and maybe, Chau went to see what words were known, though they wouldn't have helped him much. Possibly a greeting. A few basic words; "Boat", "Food", "Money", "Women". Not much more than that.
I'm just going by the article. Based on the article, it doesn't appear that this guy was some misguided youth on Spring Break who decided to just stop in to tell 'em bout Jesus.

Old 11-30-2018, 04:22 PM

32,530 posts, read 22,033,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek41 View Post
There appears to be some conspiracy theories that the Missionary may still be alive!

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/lat...be-still-alive

Somehow I doubt it, and that he is not now learning Sentinelese and preaching the Good News.
A very foolish mistake made by the this young man, considering the history there. (the last 2 illegal Indian fishermen who strayed onto the shores were killed in 2006)
Someone said that he learned Sentenalese before he went...But, I don’t see how...

Old 11-30-2018, 04:27 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,920,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
I'm just going by the article. Based on the article, it doesn't appear that this guy was some misguided youth on Spring Break who decided to just stop in to tell 'em bout Jesus.
Why do so many people have a comprehension problem about this?? Put on your Sherlock Holmes!

The mother said, "I know he's alive." Asked why, she replied, "Because I prayed." That right away tells you this lady is a fundamentalist nutjob. John Chau grew up in this unhealthy bizarro environment being indoctrinated to his core with religious propaganda about saving souls. Short people generally have inferiority complexes, so this guy had to compensate by being THE guy who would go among the most isolated tribe in the world and save them for Jesus. He didn't have a girlfriend---ALL Christian guys want a pretty girlfriend if they're halfway normal. The only girls he had access to were the Christian girls in his church club who often carry around more psychological problems than inmates in a lunatic asylum and he likely couldn't even get a date with one of them because if he could have he would have. Then he would have been so focused on making her happy that he never would have had time for this crazy idea he had of converting the Sentinelese. He got this insane indea in his mind that if he were the first guy to go among the Sentinelese people and live to tell about it and actually convert them to Christianity that would have made him the most famous evangelist in the world. It would have gotten him fame, a book deal, a movie deal--it was less about saving souls than it was about saving his dignity and sense of self-worth and getting so famous he'd have to beat off the pretty Christian girls hot for him now with a stick.

But the guy's delusions were totally out of reality. He couldn't speak the language. He totally miscalculated how hostile these people were. By the time he got shot with the first arrow in his Bible he could have swallowed his pride and limped home. He would have been a complete failure again but at least he'd be alive. But what good is being alive when you don't have a job, you don't have any job prospects, you don't have a Christian girlfriend who wants to live the good life sitting at home all day breeding Christian babies and going out to teas with her Christian girlfriend while her husband slaves all day at work? In short, this thing he got obsessed about would have either made him or break him. And sadly for him, with no Jesus in sight to bail him out it broke him and he paid for it with his life. He clearly was out of his depth. It's possible he even had a latent death wish because he knew this obsession was destroying him.

How do I know all this? Because I was a psychology major in university and a Christian for 60 years so I've seen it all first hand.

Old 11-30-2018, 04:33 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,723,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Indeed not. He put some planning and preparation into that. If anything, it makes it worse. He doesn't even have the excuse of ignorance.

Old 11-30-2018, 04:59 PM

3,802 posts, read 2,997,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
Someone said that he learned Sentenalese before he went...But, I don’t see how...
The language is not mutually intelligible with any other local island languages, including the Jarawa or Onge people who did not recognize any of their language when they went there last century.
The isolation means their language has evolved and would not be able to be discerned by anyone else, including discerning Christians.

Old 11-30-2018, 06:32 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,184,822 times
He was a misguided, zealous twit.

Hopefully his body is adding nutrients to the local flora and fauna, so his life will not be a complete minus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality