Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2018, 02:35 PM

11,102 posts, read 7,171,699 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maat55 View Post
if you had never heard of an afterlife and had no other reason to believe one existed, do you think you would have the same or a different perspective of the risk of a loved one going to a battle field? Would you feel more apprehensive?
If you're fighting a war, you're doing it to protect your land and people. It isn't about you. I don't see where your individual salvation makes a squat of difference.

People fixated on themselves and his/her afterlife should stay out of the military as it will take their focus off where it belongs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2018, 02:55 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,235,302 times
Quote:
I’m curious as to whether there is a different perspective on use of the military or ones mindset of death in wars based on religion vs non-religion.

My background:
Personally, I have no direct military connections(family or self). I was a Christian for more than 35 years and have converted to atheist in the last 3 years. During this time I have had to rethink my position on several issues.

My question can be viewed from different perspectives(soldier,mother,wife,politician etc.). Would your perspective change based on whether you were the other between being religious or not?

Now, we can presume that everyone doesn’t want to die or see a soldier die. I’m looking more at how what you would think about engaging this risk based on the religion question. Examples:

From my perspective as a Christian, while life is dear, I was less likely to consider dying for a cause, an ultimate sacrifice. This would bring into question what wars were worth the risk. My new perspective is that I’m less inclined to want to see the use of the military or for a citizen, cop etc., sacrifice their lives in ways that might come easier when believing in an afterlife. I now consider death more final and to me it brings more into question, what am I willing to die for. I’m fully convinced I would die for most anyone in my family for different reasons. I’m convinced I would have no problem dying for a direct threat to my country and liberty itself. But, I’m not sure I would so easily sign up for the military or step into a civilian situation considering that there are many instances that I don’t consider worth dying for.

In the big picture concerning the military, I would think that a military leadership, soldier and or families would be more sceptical about what would constitute a reason to send in military personnel. This question basically asks the religious to think outside your religious box.

Does it make a difference?
WAR i anti christian and anti humanity, one does not need religion to know killing is wrong.

Old 12-19-2018, 03:47 PM

2,186 posts, read 1,172,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
If you're fighting a war, you're doing it to protect your land and people. It isn't about you. I don't see where your individual salvation makes a squat of difference.

People fixated on themselves and his/her afterlife should stay out of the military as it will take their focus off where it belongs.
Under normal circumstances I agree. If we could rely on the government to only send soldiers into wars that truly are necessary to defend the country and liberty, an afterlife has no relevance. I stated this in the OP. Yet, I think many would admit that our government has involved servicemen in wars that don’t necessarily warrant their risk and sacrifices.

I don’t think there are many Americans who would not sacrifice their lives to preserve the country and our way of life, for themselves, family and Americans in general. I guess what I’m concerned about is that I believe that the government and citizens should make sure that servicemen only risk their lives when absolutely necessary and respect the sacrifice of a soldier as if it were their finality and not just them transitioning to an afterlife.

Old 12-19-2018, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
WAR i anti christian and anti humanity, one does not need religion to know killing is wrong.
It would be great if all humans respected this notion. Unfortunately, there are those who don’t respect the lives they endanger.

Old 12-19-2018, 04:22 PM

23,174 posts, read 26,211,073 times
Unless you can hear from people in, or that were in, the military, you
may only get speculation.
There's a military forum here on CD,maybe you should ask if it factored into their decisions

Old 12-19-2018, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Unless you can hear from people in, or that were in, the military, you
may only get speculation.
There's a military forum here on CD,maybe you should ask if it factored into their decisions
I was hoping there are some military that frequent this forum, but this question isn’t limited to them, being that it affects family members and the general mindset of the citizens. It would be interesting to here the perspective of an atheist servicemen.

Last edited by maat55; 12-19-2018 at 05:08 PM..

Old 12-21-2018, 02:42 AM

9,690 posts, read 10,024,985 times
God through Jesus does go with His followers into battle , and will bring those who have acceptable prayer home after the war , and those followers who fall Jesus will collect their souls for heaven ...... Jesus Christ prefers no war but accepts the fact that war does come .....

Old 12-21-2018, 03:22 AM

23,174 posts, read 26,211,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
God through Jesus does go with His followers into battle , and will bring those who have acceptable prayer home after the war , and those followers who fall Jesus will collect their souls for heaven ...... Jesus Christ prefers no war but accepts the fact that war does come .....
Ah ha! Sure way to win wars.....only send very good devout Christians into the battle!

Old 12-21-2018, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
Doesn’t address my question. I know it is difficult, but can you remove the rose colored glasses just long enough to do so? I’m quite certain you will not be struck by lightning?

Old 12-21-2018, 09:17 AM

50,840 posts, read 24,359,728 times
Quote:
Doesn’t address my question. I know it is difficult, but can you remove the rose colored glasses just long enough to do so? I’m quite certain you will not be struck by lightning?
They're not rose colored glasses. More like the lens that are implanted during cataract surgery that are permanent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality