Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2019, 01:54 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,723,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
His disciples didn't recognize him. He had a different "body" or was a spirit.
Of course they recognised him. Immediately. if you are thinking of Emmaus, it was clearly some magical trick to disguise himself until the right time. When he Revealed himself, they recognised him at once.

"Mithrandir! What veil was over my sight?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2019, 02:45 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,580,220 times
there was a a lot of drug use back then. add to that the strain of the his death ... poof ... visions.

but hey, who cares when its bashing and thrashing time.

Old 03-08-2019, 02:52 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 7 days ago)

35,630 posts, read 17,968,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Of course they recognised him. Immediately. if you are thinking of Emmaus, it was clearly some magical trick to disguise himself until the right time. When he Revealed himself, they recognised him at once.

"Mithrandir! What veil was over my sight?"
No, they didn't recognize him.

The ones in the upper room didn't recognize him. He had to prove it was him by showing his wounded hands, and the wound in his side from the soldier's spear.

When therefore it was evening, on that day, the first day of the week, and when the doors were shut where the disciples were, for fear of the Jews, Jesus came and stood in their midst, and said to them, "Peace be with you." And when he had said this, he showed them both his hands and his side. The disciples therefore rejoiced when they saw the Lord. . . But Thomas, one of the twelve, called Didymus, was not with them when Jesus came (John 20:19,20,24).

Neither did doubting Thomas recognize him when He returned on the eight day to present himself to Thomas so he would believe. All of them had to place their hands in his wounds before they realized it was him.

And after eight days his disciples were again inside, and Thomas with them. Jesus came, the doors being shut, and stood in the midst, and said, 'Peace to you!' Then he said to Thomas, 'Reach your finger here, and look at my hands; and reach your hand here, and put it into my side. Do not be unbelieving but believing.' And Thomas answered and said to him, 'My Lord and My God!' (John 20:26-28).

Additionally, Mary Magdalene didn't recognize him when he appeared to her until he called her name and she heard his voice.

Now when she had said this, she turned around and saw Jesus standing there, and did not know that it was Jesus. Jesus said to her, 'Woman, why are you weeping? Whom are you seeking?' She, supposing him to be the gardener, said to him, 'Sir, if you have carried him away, tell me where you have laid him, and I will take him away.' Jesus said to her, 'Mary!' She turned and said to him, 'Rabboni!' (which is to say, Teacher) (John 20:14-16).

Old 03-08-2019, 05:37 PM

Quote:

The ones in the upper room didn't recognize him. He had to prove it was him by showing his wounded hands, and the wound in his side from the soldier's spear.

When therefore it was evening, on that day, the first day of the week, and when the doors were shut where the disciples were, for fear of the Jews, Jesus came and stood in their midst, and said to them, "Peace be with you." And when he had said this, he showed them both his hands and his side. The disciples therefore rejoiced when they saw the Lord. . . But Thomas, one of the twelve, called Didymus, was not with them when Jesus came (John 20:19,20,24).

Neither did doubting Thomas recognize him when He returned on the eight day to present himself to Thomas so he would believe. All of them had to place their hands in his wounds before they realized it was him.

And after eight days his disciples were again inside, and Thomas with them. Jesus came, the doors being shut, and stood in the midst, and said, 'Peace to you!' Then he said to Thomas, 'Reach your finger here, and look at my hands; and reach your hand here, and put it into my side. Do not be unbelieving but believing.' And Thomas answered and said to him, 'My Lord and My God!' (John 20:26-28).

Additionally, Mary Magdalene didn't recognize him when he appeared to her until he called her name and she heard his voice.

Now when she had said this, she turned around and saw Jesus standing there, and did not know that it was Jesus. Jesus said to her, 'Woman, why are you weeping? Whom are you seeking?' She, supposing him to be the gardener, said to him, 'Sir, if you have carried him away, tell me where you have laid him, and I will take him away.' Jesus said to her, 'Mary!' She turned and said to him, 'Rabboni!' (which is to say, Teacher) (John 20:14-16).

man clarc, if you dumped the magic shackles you would be an arch angel.

Old 03-08-2019, 05:56 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 7 days ago)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
man clarc, if you dumped the magic shackles you would be an arch angel.
I don't know what that means.

Old 03-08-2019, 07:48 PM

Quote:
I don't know what that means.
I know,
No disrespect.

Old 03-08-2019, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
I know,
No disrespect.
If you're not willing to explain your post when I sincerely ask for an explanation, then I guess that ends the discussion.

This is not the first time I've had difficulty understanding what you are saying, and I have seen others answer that they don't know what you're saying either, both on this forum and in private messages to me.

You need to realize your posts are confusing.

I do have some affection for you, because it seems you're trying.

Again, sincerely, no disrespect intended. It's just that many people here don't understand your posts.

Last edited by ClaraC; 03-08-2019 at 08:29 PM..

Old 03-08-2019, 08:37 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,184,822 times
Quote:
If you're not willing to explain your post when I sincerely ask for an explanation, then I guess that ends the discussion.

This is not the first time I've had difficulty understanding what you are saying, and I have seen others answer that they don't know what you're saying either, both on this forum and in private messages to me.

You need to realize your posts are confusing.

I do have some affection for you, because it seems you're trying.

Again, sincerely, no disrespect intended. It's just that many people here don't understand your posts.
You can't parse Arach's posts. Which are there, in the here and now, in front of your face, via your keyboard. You have time to study them. You can ask him for clarification, as you have done.

And yet, we are asked by Christians such as yourself to believe 3rd, 4th, and umpteenth-hand accounts of what Jesus "said" as recorded by anonymous men -- decades and centuries after his purported suicide/death-by-cop/resurrection -- who never heard him speak.

Old 03-08-2019, 08:58 PM

50,816 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Arach, I think your postings over the past couple of days are much better, easier to read and comprehend.

Old 03-08-2019, 11:56 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,723,660 times
Quote:

Of course they recognised him. Even Thomas did when he actually saw Jesus. He didn't believe the claim when he got back, that was all.

Quote:

Now, you do have a point here. Mary Magdalene did not immediately recognise Jesus, just like the pair on the road to Emmaeus. But all the others did when they saw him. The explanation (aside that it is merely a story -telling convention) is that Jesus could magically 'veil' himself when he needed to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality