Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2019, 12:31 PM

6,115 posts, read 3,090,907 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeelaMonster View Post
Like fishbrains, I will at least give you points for attempting to spell out these criteria. Each of them could be discussed, but let's just focus on #5....

Why is it a "basic and fundamental condition" that God would only reveal himself after your death?? That appears to be an entirely random, arbitrary, manmade... and highly personalized... requirement. One that is neither necessary (for things to work) nor supported by any logic or reason. The next person over could establish a criterion that says God must be revealed during her lifetime, and that would have just as much validity. If so, then these conditions only hold for you (or any other person who establishes their criteria). At which point we realize that this and any other concept of "god" is purely in the eye of the beholder, and purely made up by that beholder, and brings us no closer to "The Truth" than whatever I (or any other) choose to make up. It's hard to see the societal value in that, even if it gives each of us personal satisfaction or comfort?

Isn't believing in God a personal matter to begin with?

If someone says, the animal provides milk and helps me in the agricultural farms - so it's god.
Then so be it. It works for him, and I don't have an issue or a problem with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2019, 12:33 PM

50,836 posts, read 24,347,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
If I say, I freely choose to have faith in the existence of God, how is that a claim?
That is exactly a claim.

Old 01-25-2019, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
That is exactly a claim.
In my opinion, a claim would rather sound like this, "I KNOW that God exists"

Old 01-25-2019, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Isn't believing in God a personal matter to begin with?

If someone says, the animal provides milk and helps me in the agricultural farms - so it's god.
Then so be it. It works for him, and I don't have an issue or a problem with it.
There's no problem, until that person wants other people to believe it, too.

But when someone states something like that...in fact when a person states anything...he or she should expect other opinions to be stated.

Old 01-25-2019, 12:35 PM

Quote:
In my opinion, a claim would rather sound like this, "I KNOW that God exists"
Well, you just want to define the word "claim" how you like it. Which is fine, but others don't have to agree with you.

Old 01-25-2019, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Well, you just want to define the word "claim" how you like it. Which is fine, but others don't have to agree with you.
It's fine with me.

Old 01-26-2019, 04:55 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,587,667 times
Quote:
If I say, I freely choose to have faith in the existence of God, how is that a claim?
on face it ... it doesn't matter. And when the claims have similar weight you are free to believe whatever you want.

lets get back to the question

generally speaking, Is it better to form a "faith statement' based on knowns or is it better to form a "statement of belief" based on unknowns?

How about this:

to push a faith based on knowns on people? or to push a faith based on unknowns on people?

keep in mind GoC, I don't care how the universe works. It works the way it works. I do not have "anti-christian", "anti-theist", or anti-religion" that i have to answer to. My claim is we are in a system of life and some theist are misunderstanding it. None of the anti-godders have a more valid claim. In fact, most of them hold less valid claims. Thats why we will always outnumber the "deny every spring board" types.

Old 01-26-2019, 05:19 AM

12,918 posts, read 16,870,605 times
To say that God does not exist is a claim that needs MORE proof and support, since most people throughout history have believed.

Old 01-26-2019, 05:35 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,587,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
To say that God does not exist is a claim that needs MORE proof and support, since most people throughout history have believed.
the flaw here is basing it on "most people have believed".

Do you see that ozzy?

Old 01-26-2019, 06:52 AM

16,784 posts, read 4,989,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
Evidence. Not proof, evidence.

Eh, Mystic, , remember?

And not only do you have yet another non sequitur here, you are also refuting your own position.

The fact that people believe in gods has no relevance on the amount of evidence required, hence the non sequitur.

And as you have demonstrated, people clearly have a need to believe in gods. This means that if these other gods are invented, then yours is also probably an invention. Please do not try the ad hoc excuse that the laser snot* god of China and others are just manifestations of 'God'.

So YOU need more evidence for your version of your god, not us. And then you need to test this against the universe full of evidence WE have.

* another new English word for me. I think my education is going down the mountain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality