Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2019, 05:11 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,195,004 times

Advertisements

Is it a thing? Most educated, rational people accept the fact that humans have evolved physically and intellectually over the past 200,000 or so years. The evidence is overwhelming. But what about spiritual evolution?

The dictionary defines spirituality as: 'relating to or affecting the human spirit or soul as opposed to material or physical things.'

When I think of a spiritual person, I think of one who demonstrates qualities like: empathy, understanding, awareness, positivity, patience, altruism, kindness, humility, compassion, and love.

I believe that generally-speaking, mankind has evolved spiritually. Societies around the globe have developed social safety networks that didn't exist even a few hundred years ago, outside of small, isolated communities. I don't discount the part religions have had to play in this evolution. Most of them have caring for others as part of their doctrines.

But religions can also hinder spiritual evolution by binding believers to rigid laws and black-and-white thinking based on archaic concepts. So, count me as believing spiritual evolution is indeed a real thing. And it is not limited to believers in a god(s). Far from it. I know a lot of spiritually-evolved heathens.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 01-28-2019 at 07:20 PM.. Reason: Formatting requested by OP
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2019, 05:17 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,587,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Is it a thing? Most educated, rational people accept the fact that humans have evolved physically and intellectually over the past 200,000 or so years. The evidence is overwhelming. But what about spiritual evolution? The dictionary defines spirituality as: relating to or affecting the human spirit or soul as opposed to material or physical things. When I think of a spiritual person, I think of one who demonstrates qualities like: empathy, understanding, awareness, positivity, patience, altruism, kindness, humility, compassion, and love. I believe that generally-speaking, mankind has evolved spiritually. Societies around the globe have developed social safety networks that didn't exist even a few hundred years ago, outside of small, isolated communities. I don't discount the part religions have had to play in this evolution. Most of them have caring for others as part of their doctrines. But religions can also hinder spiritual evolution by binding believers to rigid laws and black-and-white thinking based on archaic concepts. So, count me as believing spiritual evolution is indeed a real thing. And it is not limited to believers in a god(s). Far from it. I know a lot of spiritually-evolved heathens.
that's what i have been saying since day one trout. religious people can hinder us and religious people can help us.

remember though, a heathen to me is a believer ... so yes, i agree with you ...

I know many spiritually evolved believing heathens myself.

Old 01-28-2019, 05:27 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,393,070 times
Seems your op is asking if spiritual evolution is a thing...if I am any example...yes.

Old 01-28-2019, 05:35 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,587,667 times
"love" has no religion.

it outgrew them all.

Old 01-28-2019, 07:26 PM

6,115 posts, read 3,090,907 times
Quote:
Is it a thing? Most educated, rational people accept the fact that humans have evolved physically and intellectually over the past 200,000 or so years. The evidence is overwhelming. But what about spiritual evolution? The dictionary defines spirituality as: relating to or affecting the human spirit or soul as opposed to material or physical things. When I think of a spiritual person, I think of one who demonstrates qualities like: empathy, understanding, awareness, positivity, patience, altruism, kindness, humility, compassion, and love. I believe that generally-speaking, mankind has evolved spiritually. Societies around the globe have developed social safety networks that didn't exist even a few hundred years ago, outside of small, isolated communities. I don't discount the part religions have had to play in this evolution. Most of them have caring for others as part of their doctrines. But religions can also hinder spiritual evolution by binding believers to rigid laws and black-and-white thinking based on archaic concepts. So, count me as believing spiritual evolution is indeed a real thing. And it is not limited to believers in a god(s). Far from it. I know a lot of spiritually-evolved heathens. ETA: Sorry about the block paragraph. It won't let me format for some reason.
In terms of spirit,
Perhaps it’s an ongoing process of evelution and de-evolution and back to evolution and so forth?

There is a general notion in us that almost all of us generally tend to say and agree that people were nicer in the older times, they cared for each other, there were family values and more courtesy and respect towards others etc - and these days everyone is more selfish, full of lust n greed and running after money, kids are getting wild and disrespectful by the day, teachers get verbal and physical abuse, making fun of weak and elderly is common, etc.

So the spirit in the people of our recent past was better and now it’s deteriorating or de-evolutionizing ?

Old 01-28-2019, 07:27 PM

88,591 posts, read 84,838,467 times
I would like to think I personally evolved spiritually, and I hope to continue to do so until my physical death.

I have been so fortunate in life to have had people enter my life who have shared their spiritual journeys with me; as a matter of fact, I believe now that we were meant to be part of one another's lives to learn and grow in our separate but intersecting paths. One of those is the woman with whom I ran out of the World Trade Trade Center on 9/11. Up until 8:46 that morning, she was the newish coworker on the other side of the partition, an acquaintance. Today, she is my soul sister, a woman with whom I have a deep connection and a shared spiritual journey. There are others. I am still learning, and I hope I will always be open to new knowledge.

Good thread subject, TroutDude. Can't rep yet.

Old 01-28-2019, 08:07 PM

2,512 posts, read 3,060,166 times
Quote:

The dictionary defines spirituality as: 'relating to or affecting the human spirit or soul as opposed to material or physical things.'

When I think of a spiritual person, I think of one who demonstrates qualities like: empathy, understanding, awareness, positivity, patience, altruism, kindness, humility, compassion, and love.

I don't discount the part religions have had to play in this evolution. Most of them have caring for others as part of their doctrines.

But religions can also hinder spiritual evolution by binding believers to rigid laws and black-and-white thinking based on archaic concepts. So, count me as believing spiritual evolution is indeed a real thing. And it is not limited to believers in a god(s). Far from it. I know a lot of spiritually-evolved heathens.
I honestly am not sure humankind is evolving exponentially, I see too much repetition historically of non-spiritual acts (war/greed/famine/corrupt politics/etc.) Although I do think individuals along with pockets of society(s) experience spiritual growth. Also, there are periods in time where society and the world at large seems to have more spirituality and spiritual gains over others. Spiritual "Renaissance's" if you will.

My observations of generations under me leads me to believe technology and increasing population may be hindering spiritual growth. Children grown up with texting/computer gaming/awards given to everyone at school/etc. may have caused less human interaction, narcissism, lack of social/coping skills, etc. And increased population/robotics/online shopping/etc. eliminating jobs, etc. may make it hard for them to focus and pursue their spiritual life or stand out as individuals.

Spirituality is linked to faith in many regards, and I am glad to see your inclusion of the role religion has played, and yes, some religions have imposed conditions that negate or even reverse any gains good pure spirituality/faith may have produced.

Faith, if it could be extracted as a "pure essence", separated away from dogma and religion and left to the individual to manifest and then seek out (if they chose to) like minded (spirited) others could play a valuable role with spirituality. And indeed, an introspective self evolved "faith" journey could help develop and define a spirituality.

Last edited by ShouldIMoveOrStayPut...?; 01-28-2019 at 08:10 PM.. Reason: Forgot the "s" in "individuals"

Old 01-28-2019, 08:50 PM

50,831 posts, read 24,347,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I would like to think I personally evolved spiritually, and I hope to continue to do so until my physical death.

I have been so fortunate in life to have had people enter my life who have shared their spiritual journeys with me; as a matter of fact, I believe now that we were meant to be part of one another's lives to learn and grow in our separate but intersecting paths. One of those is the woman with whom I ran out of the World Trade Trade Center on 9/11. Up until 8:46 that morning, she was the newish coworker on the other side of the partition, an acquaintance. Today, she is my soul sister, a woman with whom I have a deep connection and a shared spiritual journey. There are others. I am still learning, and I hope I will always be open to new knowledge.

Good thread subject, TroutDude. Can't rep yet.
Nicely written.

Old 01-29-2019, 09:33 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,597,574 times
Spirituality does not require a believe in any god or gods. I feel it is more of getting a deeper and deeper understanding of our interconnections, of our families, loved ones, people we interact with, our connection to this earth and what it provides us to sustain live, and further on, it's place in our solar system, galaxy, our universe beyond, and potentially the multiverses that may exist.

We are part of the whole, but the whole is part of us, individually and collectively. Each one of the atoms that built your cells that built your body are billions of years old. They came from the exploding stars from eons before. They are us, we are them.

That is not woo, that just is a fact. Realizing that, and actively acknowledging it, is what drives my spirituality.

Old 01-30-2019, 12:27 PM

19,036 posts, read 27,614,590 times
Is it a thing? Most educated, rational people accept the fact that humans have evolved physically and intellectually over the past 200,000 or so years. The evidence is overwhelming. But what about spiritual evolution?

Gautam Buddha once said - Path, that starts with a wrong first step, leads to wrong destination.
OP premise starts with appeal to "educated, rational people" that apparently follow the official "evolution" path. Followed by reference to "spirit and soul", what the same rational educated people deny.
Then it jumps to some enigmatic "social safety networks" (??) as proof to humanity "spiritual evolution".

With all due respect, this does not make much sense as it's contradictory and opinionated premise.

I consent with #7. There is no evidence that, outside of few minority humans, there is any spiritual evolution. In its basics, nothing ever changes. There are those at the top, oppressing those at the bottom. Forms of this change, scope of humanity destruction varies but, otherwise, it is nihil novi ante Sol. Same old, same old. No matter how wishfully you believe otherwise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality