Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2019, 04:07 PM

1,300 posts, read 961,613 times

Advertisements

Religion is a harmful cultural cancer that can cripple societies for centuries. However, Chinas repression of religion doesn't come from a place of respect for free thought and rationalism or liberty.

Peoples freedom of thought and practice needs to be preserved, even if a consequence is the proliferation of cult fantasies. The key is ensuring a state with secular law and institutions that regulates religion to the private sphere, criminalizes religious discrimination and allows for the protection of critics and blasphemers of religion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2019, 04:14 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,744,698 times
Well said. While Theists may expect atheism to be Cheering China on as an atheist government, I reckon - though we are pleased to see that embracing Capitalism has made things better - and that everywhere from Vietnam to Myanmar, by example - we deplore the ruthless one -party control and attempt to keep people indoctrinated, as much as if the indoctrination was religious.

Old 02-15-2019, 11:41 PM

1,714 posts, read 1,150,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nng View Post
I am a live and let live person generally, and I think people should be able to do what they want to do and believe what they want to believe as long as they are not harming others or infringing on other people's rights. But I do have to wonder sometimes. There was outrage on city data because china was persecuting Christians and Christianity. Now I don't support the death or torture of anyone because of their religion or belief. But think about this. If there had been a communist atheistic government during the time of "prophet" Mohammad that had stopped the spread of Islam, the Arab women in places like Saudi Arabia and Iran wouldn't be oppressed or marginalized today, homosexuals wouldn't be thrown off rooftops, rape victims wouldn't have been stoned to death etc. if an atheistic communist government had been in place in Europe during the Middle Ages most likely there would have been no inquisition the killing of heretics by Christians etc. I would like your opinions. Thanks.
Unfortunately, theocracies and atheist societies do not have the moral high ground. The Soviet Union, an official atheist state, that suppressed religious belief resulted in millions dead and/or suffering, Recall the Stalin purges. Communist Albania, the same. North Korea, the same, Communist Cambodia under Pol Pot, China under the Mao purges. Anyone remember Tiananmen Square? How about Tibet?

Old 02-16-2019, 03:58 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,047,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Another post I agree with. However, I have to note (with some alarm) Fears in Europe (and I have to say...though people are reluctant to admit that is the reason) because of Muslim immigration, are undoing, or threatening to undo the good work done by the collapse of Communism and the unity and co -operation of Europe, and I know all about the gravy train and loss of fishing rights. Nevertheless.
Loss of fishing rights?...

Old 02-16-2019, 05:20 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,865,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hd4me View Post
Unfortunately, theocracies and atheist societies do not have the moral high ground. The Soviet Union, an official atheist state, that suppressed religious belief resulted in millions dead and/or suffering, Recall the Stalin purges. Communist Albania, the same. North Korea, the same, Communist Cambodia under Pol Pot, China under the Mao purges. Anyone remember Tiananmen Square? How about Tibet?
Ye gods! They still come up with this tripe despite being repeatedly shown that all those deaths were nothing to do with atheism. Stalin, Mao and Pol Pot DID NOT kill people because they wouldn't become atheists but Christianity on the other hand, DID kill multitudes because they wouldn't become Christians.

Old 02-16-2019, 06:49 AM

16,785 posts, read 4,992,682 times
Quote:
Shorter hd4me, men with noses and wearing trousers are evil, and Stalin was a pacifist who hated the Baltic states, and was both religious and an atheist.

But when you rely on the cüm hoc ergo propter hoc fallacy as hd4me does, then you end up with silly arguments.

Old 02-16-2019, 09:18 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,054,665 times
So many historical misconceptions on this thread.

Atheism and communism are not inextricably linked. There can be a atheist democracies, communist theocracies, and many other combinations. Religious belief, economic systems, and governmental types can all be mixed and matched.

While Rome did conquer Carthage, and Carthage did practice human sacrifice, it was a pagan, pre-Christian Rome that did so. Rome, which has been a city state, a client kingdom, an oligarchic republic, and an empire, was also very tolerant of religions throughout most of its history. It didn’t quash Carthaginian religion as much as it quashed Carthage, leaving nobody around to practice the religion.

While modern Islam is certainly repressive towards women, this has ebbed and flowed throughout history. Christianity and Judaism have also oppressed women, imposing special clothing requirements, treating them as second class citizens, etc. this is more of a mphuman culture thing and less of a religious thing.

Christianity did not invent charitable organizations. Other religions and cultures also have a history of public education, distribution of food to the poor, medicine, etc.

Old 02-16-2019, 09:23 AM

6,222 posts, read 4,014,117 times
Most actuaries aren't warm and fuzzy... they are cold, sterile-number crunchers.

Old 02-16-2019, 04:05 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,070,548 times
Quote:
The Russia of the Soviet Union was officially Secular and the majority of its population has always been Christian. At its height, 2/3 in the population did not affiliate with a religion, which does not preclude them from holding to personal Christian beliefs and faiths.

The government was indeed composed mostly of non-believers, which is why they are drawn to the idea that they should even strive for themselves to power instead of "letting go and letting God."

Today most Russians identify as Russian Orthodox Christians, but only 6% attend church weekly and only 17% claim to attempt to pray daily.

Some biased and malevolent people have lied to you.

Also, the Soviet Union was trying to unite Muslims and Christians under its Soviet Empire.
But yes, explicitly atheist pro-science organizations help a lot more esteem and power than they do today. But that was no because the Soviet Union was obsessed with atheism but only because they noticed that the religious were so obsessed with undermining science and The Elected's decisions for wealth-redistribution.

Old 02-16-2019, 04:41 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,591,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousTruth View Post
The Russia of the Soviet Union was officially Secular and the majority of its population has always been Christian. At its height, 2/3 in the population did not affiliate with a religion, which does not preclude them from holding to personal Christian beliefs and faiths.

The government was indeed composed mostly of non-believers, which is why they are drawn to the idea that they should even strive for themselves to power instead of "letting go and letting God."

Today most Russians identify as Russian Orthodox Christians, but only 6% attend church weekly and only 17% claim to attempt to pray daily.

Some biased and malevolent people have lied to you.

Also, the Soviet Union was trying to unite Muslims and Christians under its Soviet Empire.
But yes, explicitly atheist pro-science organizations help a lot more esteem and power than they do today. But that was no because the Soviet Union was obsessed with atheism but only because they noticed that the religious were so obsessed with undermining science and The Elected's decisions for wealth-redistribution.
let me run this by ...

communism is against religion because it undermines science and is against "the elected's" for wealth distributions?

I will have to think about this. "elected officials?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality