Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2019, 08:18 AM

7,592 posts, read 4,163,667 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
That is true.

do you know of any structure that doesn't have the flaws you point out?
No I don't. That is because skills are difficult to develop or master and there are who people cannot learn many of the skills. So people rely on rules.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2019, 09:38 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,388,517 times
Hi nobodysbiz,
This is one subject I was going to touch upon on my thread in the Christianity section eventually.
'Why don't some Christians act Christian'...hahahaha
....not to attack them, but to aid them in some ideas to get the love back, yeah!

Added: Btw, I like the words 'theological virtue'...excellent.

I was also Catholic...my family did little to zero for people...sure, my dad helped friends build
things, then the 'manly code' was come over and now help build his project.
That was something I absorbed.
And to help a loved relative...or feral cats.
That was IT!
The church did no winter coat drives...and there were needy folks in my small country town of 5000.
So, I had no examples of charity.

Last edited by Miss Hepburn; 02-10-2019 at 09:55 AM..

Old 02-10-2019, 11:29 AM

8,620 posts, read 5,654,555 times
I feel so strongly that the theological virtues *should* be the focus of church members - I don't remember much from the bible anymore, but isn't there something about "acts?"

I currently live across the street from a church, and it sometimes triggers a response in me because I perceive the congregants as sitting in church for hours and hours (on Saturdays and Wednesday nights) and I feel they *should* be out in the community helping people - there is so much that needs to be done and so many people could benefit from the kind of Christianity which is based on helping others.

I belong to no church, but do GoFundMe drives for people I notice are in need and pass supplies out on the streets sometimes (was doing it as an ongoing "hobby," but got burnt out).

These three entities who disappointed me: Two were couples I attended high school with and was very close to - If they had just opened their doors to me to offer me a meal (as a means of support, not for the food), it would have been everything to me at the time. Instead, I felt so unloved and abandoned.

The third disappointment was a family, and again, I thought they would offer kindness in terms of sharing a meal - I felt so alone and they had each other.

I was very hurt by all of the slights - and especially so because of what I thought was their hypocrisy regarding religion.

It was very personal for me, and for them, nothing registered on their radar.

I guess I needed those experiences to understand that organized religion REALLY is not for me.

I still don't fully understand the scope of why it was such a big deal (probably friendship, betrayal, feeling abandoned, let down by God in some way, etc.) It was a huge trauma for me.

Old 02-10-2019, 11:32 AM

And just as a P.S. about my family and helping others . . . I did not see that modeled at all.

I do remember when the theological virtues were taught that there was an exercise where we had to take to the streets and help people - give them groceries, etc. It made a huge positive impact on me - I LOVED being of service in that way. It made the *faith* real to me. I will never forget that lesson.

I don't know if this is written anywhere - must be in Catholic doctrine? But they said the virtues were: Faith, hope and charity and the greatest of those is charity. It really made an indelible impression on me.

Old 02-10-2019, 02:52 PM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
And just as a P.S. about my family and helping others . . . I did not see that modeled at all.

I do remember when the theological virtues were taught that there was an exercise where we had to take to the streets and help people - give them groceries, etc. It made a huge positive impact on me - I LOVED being of service in that way. It made the *faith* real to me. I will never forget that lesson.

I don't know if this is written anywhere - must be in Catholic doctrine? But they said the virtues were: Faith, hope and charity and the greatest of those is charity. It really made an indelible impression on me.
Roy Rogers and Dale Evans.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmO13M8AF_Y

1 Corinthians 13:13, except the word "love" is usually now said in place of "charity".

Old 02-10-2019, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Roy Rogers and Dale Evans.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmO13M8AF_Y

1 Corinthians 13:13, except the word "love" is usually now said in place of "charity".
Thank you for quoting the chapter and verse. I appreciate it.

Old 02-10-2019, 03:06 PM

This is a great revelation - thank you, MQ for pointing the word charity/love out . . .

When Love Should be Charity

Old 02-10-2019, 07:12 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,568,403 times
It's impossible to speak to why these people didn't invite you over for a meal, but I don't understand how that should have been known to them as something that you needed?

Friends had dinner at my house in the course of hanging out with me and visa versa but I don't remember anyone being invited to sooth someone in need the way you are describing.

We hosted two separate girls who needed a place to LIVE. And had anyone been hungry they would have been invited every night for dinner. Given lunch money along with me at school.

IDK. I'm having trouble understanding this.

Old 02-10-2019, 07:15 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
The definition of Christian and charity should be re assessed
I see too many door matting and throwing money away to those on the hustle

Old 02-10-2019, 07:18 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,024,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
I was raised Catholic, and despite any arguments to the contrary, Catholicism is Christian.

I was taught the three theological virtues of Faith, Hope, and Charity - were integral to leading a good, moral, Christian life.

There were times in my life where I could have used Christian charity (from supposedly "deeply religious Christians") - and in each case, there was no extension of friendship.

Two of the people were close high school friends, who could have had me over for dinner when I was in a time of need, but didn't. The third was a family who was sharing a trauma with my family - I was all alone and they couldn't be bothered to reach out.

The simple act of being charitable (in these cases, merely hospitable - just extending friendship to someone in need), was never even on their radar. It was deeply disappointing to me and made me realize what shallow, fake Christians they all were (and probably still are).

If you consider yourself a Christian, do you go out of your way to "do good works," or is it "every man for himself?"

I am not a Christian, yet I try to help others in need, as frequently as I can, and definitely when I see a need.
James wrote in James 2 that if you claim to know Christ, and don't help those in need, you're not much of a Christian -- and your faith is "dead faith", of the kind of "faith" that the demons have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality