Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2019, 02:10 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,656,400 times

Advertisements

I was raised Catholic, and despite any arguments to the contrary, Catholicism is Christian.

I was taught the three theological virtues of Faith, Hope, and Charity - were integral to leading a good, moral, Christian life.

There were times in my life where I could have used Christian charity (from supposedly "deeply religious Christians") - and in each case, there was no extension of friendship.

Two of the people were close high school friends, who could have had me over for dinner when I was in a time of need, but didn't. The third was a family who was sharing a trauma with my family - I was all alone and they couldn't be bothered to reach out.

The simple act of being charitable (in these cases, merely hospitable - just extending friendship to someone in need), was never even on their radar. It was deeply disappointing to me and made me realize what shallow, fake Christians they all were (and probably still are).

If you consider yourself a Christian, do you go out of your way to "do good works," or is it "every man for himself?"

I am not a Christian, yet I try to help others in need, as frequently as I can, and definitely when I see a need.

Last edited by nobodysbusiness; 02-09-2019 at 02:31 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2019, 02:20 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,968,766 times
long, long ago, it would have been nice for the Catholics to Do Something about the child abuse that is institutional with their church. they either knew, or ignored the signs. so, in my opinion, Catholicism is every "priest for himself".

Old 02-09-2019, 02:28 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,195,004 times
I think it's the innate character of a person that comes to the fore - or not - when it comes to helping others. The religious beliefs, or lack, don't much matter. A good person helps others. A selfish one does not.

Old 02-09-2019, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
I think it's the innate character of a person that comes to the fore - or not - when it comes to helping others. The religious beliefs, or lack, don't much matter. A good person helps others. A selfish one does not.
I am a purist at heart, and I sincerely thought that people who identified so strongly with being "Christians" would therefore ascribe to Christian values. I don't understand *what* their religious affiliations mean - they are reading the bible, attending church, saying they are "Christians," yet when a simple act of kindness would be in order, they are nowhere to be found. I find it puzzling now, but at the time I experienced what felt like slights and abandonment, it was devastating. I truly thought "good Christians" would offer some solace or friendship or a simple meal.

I guess these are the same "Christians" who are being spoken about in the news.

It seems to illogical to me.

I wish I could interrogate them and ask them what they think they are doing.

Old 02-09-2019, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkeydance View Post
long, long ago, it would have been nice for the Catholics to Do Something about the child abuse that is institutional with their church. they either knew, or ignored the signs. so, in my opinion, Catholicism is every "priest for himself".
This is just stupid.

I was raised Catholic, but as a child had no knowledge of any corruption. It wasn't even exposed back then.

My parents also had no idea.

I don't know what the Catholics of today think or say about any of the corruption.

I am no longer a member of the church.

My memories of Catholicism are of the Latin mass, incense, confession, and beautiful ritual.

When I got old enough (16) to think about the doctrine, it didn't resonate with me, but I am glad to have been raised in the Church because that is where I learned all of my moral values. My parents didn't teach me much of anything.

Old 02-09-2019, 02:41 PM

50,837 posts, read 24,347,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
This is just stupid.

I was raised Catholic, but as a child had no knowledge of any corruption. It wasn't even exposed back then.

My parents also had no idea.

I don't know what the Catholics of today think or say about any of the corruption.

I am no longer a member of the church.

My memories of Catholicism are of the Latin mass, incense, confession, and beautiful ritual.

When I got old enough (16) to think about the doctrine, it didn't resonate with me, but I am glad to have been raised in the Church because that is where I learned all of my moral values. My parents didn't teach me much of anything.
No. This issue has been well known and documented since the 11th century. They've had a thousand years to effectively deal with the problem.

Old 02-09-2019, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
No. This issue has been well known and documented since the 11th century. They've had a thousand years to effectively deal with the problem.
Ok, but growing up in the fifties and sixties, I knew nothing about it and there were no exposes on TV or in the newspapers, so my parents didn't either.

I don't know what you are considering "well documented." There may have been some historical references, but they were not common knowledge.

AND - the corruption of the Catholic Church IS NOT what this thread is about. Start your own thread, if you want to pursue the topic.

Old 02-09-2019, 03:08 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,546,021 times
Quote:

so where are the memories of charity? or do you expect that when you are in need of help? that other people go out of your way to help out of the kindness of their hearts?

charity has nothing to do with religion, it is something people do because they want to, not because some church said they should.

Old 02-09-2019, 03:26 PM

6,460 posts, read 3,983,103 times
I help others, but it's often by supporting charities. Unless someone is a good friend already, I am wary of offering friendship. I (and people I know) have ended up in too many awkward situations that way.

Offering charity to someone personally can also be a difficult situation. Unless you know that someone wants it-- and it doesn't sound like you asked, simply that you expected it to be extended-- you could even cause offense by offering it. I know people who would be mortified if an acquaintance or even a friend offered some kind of help.

Old 02-09-2019, 03:56 PM

50,837 posts, read 24,347,720 times
Quote:
Ok, but growing up in the fifties and sixties, I knew nothing about it and there were no exposes on TV or in the newspapers, so my parents didn't either.

I don't know what you are considering "well documented." There may have been some historical references, but they were not common knowledge.

AND - the corruption of the Catholic Church IS NOT what this thread is about. Start your own thread, if you want to pursue the topic.
I'm not the one who brought it up. I just responded to your post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality