Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2019, 05:18 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,383,279 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
And 'Fundy/ extremism' (directed against the atheism that is not only speaking out but has an agenda to drive religion from society) sounds convincing - to them, anyway,
What we are trying to do is stop what we have being eradicated - a society based on humanist morals and validated evidence, and NOT on Faith -based supersition and the rule of One religion. This is in everyone's interests - even Christians.
May I repeat for others...what I believe you are saying...you really don't care if someone is religious 'in their own home', ha...it's when it becomes a desired agenda for our society.
And, may I say, in our government, then? Is that correct?
That certainly seems fair enough to ME!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2019, 05:36 AM

12,918 posts, read 16,865,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
May I repeat for others...what I believe you are saying...you really don't care if someone is religious 'in their own home', ha...it's when it becomes a desired agenda for our society.
It might seem that way. But if people are spending so much time discussing it, then there might be something more sinister in the anti-religious aim.

I'm a better person because of the hour a day I devote to worship, when I can. What am I supposed to think of people who would like to see that eradicated?

Old 02-16-2019, 05:43 AM

6,486 posts, read 6,388,858 times
Quote:
just as 'No God is a faith -claim'. Which of course it isn't,
Saying "There is no god" (if that's what you mean) certainly is every bit as much a "faith -claim" as saying there is one, given there is absolutely no evidence for the statement to be found anywhere. I'd join you in saying atheism is no religion, and atheists do not necessarily make the claim (or even believe) that there is no god. But when an atheist does make that claim, it's not based on any evidence at all.

Old 02-16-2019, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
It might seem that way. But if people are spending so much time discussing it, then there might be something more sinister in the anti-religious aim.

I'm a better person because of the hour a day I devote to worship, when I can.
What am I supposed to think of people who would like to see that eradicated?
That would be a shame (um, terrible and wrong!) if someone wanted to eradicate your right to worship an hour a day. I agree centering and focusing each day helps me!

Old 02-16-2019, 06:31 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,197,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post

I'm a better person because of the hour a day I devote to worship, when I can. What am I supposed to think of people who would like to see that eradicated?
Just who do you think is trying to eradicate that??Sit there and devote 12 hours to it if you want.
Just,please, don't even begin to think it should obigate, in any way, other people in public places not designated as religious ones.

Old 02-16-2019, 06:36 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,723,660 times
Quote:
I don't even care if people are religious in their own temples. In fact it bothers me more that religious indoctrination of kiddies goes on in the home, but all we can do is try to make the case for irreligion at least, to the parents. And, yes, no religion in law, politics or education seems something desirable.

Old 02-16-2019, 06:44 AM

6,486 posts, read 6,388,858 times
Quote:
In fact it bothers me more that religious indoctrination of kiddies goes on in the home,
And in keeping with the spirit of this thread, would you also speak out against indoctrination of other kinds? Say, someone teaching their kid to be an atheist using very poor arguments/"evidence"?

Old 02-16-2019, 07:26 AM

6,115 posts, read 3,088,415 times
Quote:
You know what? I had to look up Sufism and Sikhism WAY more closely...Guru Nanak was way more Hindu than Muslim.

Thank you for correcting me.
It is difficult for an outsider to really understand the intricacies of a religion.
I see in my research I was not the only one confused.
Looks like you got it reversed again.

Guru Nanak was more of a Muslim/Sufi saint than a Hindu.

He even went to Mecca to perform Hajj.

Old 02-16-2019, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
Looks like you got it reversed again.
Guru Nanak was more of a Muslim/Sufi saint than a Hindu.
He even went to Mecca to perform Hajj.
Glad you brought this up because i have been reading up on Sikhism...boy was I mistaken!!! Cuz I thought that, also...no more.
This is what I learned:

Sikhism is just as separate as any other religion from another...a major premise being ...sure it started in Northern India, sure Guru Nanak , the founder of Sikhism, was born into a Hindu family, but never adopted it for himself.
He rejected Hinduism because he rejected the Caste system...good for him!
Sikhs believe BIG time in One God...Ik Onkar, which is not a name.
Yes, Guru Nanak visited Mecca.

Never any mention of Allah, Mohammad, Krishna or Vishnu or Brahman.

" Guru Nanak Sahib and his successors had clarified it in unequivocal words:
We are neither Hindus nor Muslims (p. 1136)"
Ref Guru Granth Sahib, their 'book'.

This is just one link of many:

The Sikhs are neither Hindus nor Muslims

Old 02-16-2019, 09:27 AM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Glad you brought this up because i have been reading up on Sikhism...boy was I mistaken!!! Cuz I thought that, also...no more.
This is what I learned:

Sikhism is just as separate as any other religion from another...a major premise being ...sure it started in Northern India, sure Guru Nanak , the founder of Sikhism, was born into a Hindu family, but never adopted it for himself.
He rejected Hinduism because he rejected the Caste system...good for him!
Sikhs believe BIG time in One God...Ik Onkar, which is not a name.
Yes, Guru Nanak visited Mecca.

Never any mention of Allah, Mohammad, Krishna or Vishnu or Brahman.

" Guru Nanak Sahib and his successors had clarified it in unequivocal words:
We are neither Hindus nor Muslims (p. 1136)"
Ref Guru Granth Sahib, their 'book'.

This is just one link of many:

The Sikhs are neither Hindus nor Muslims
I don't know if you've heard of United Shades of America, a CNN series that highlights different subsections of society in the USA, but last year I caught his very interesting episode on the Sikh community that has been in northern California for more than a century.

https://www.cnn.com/videos/tv/2018/0...ikhs-ron-2.cnn

NJ has a fair-sized Sikh community; as a matter of fact, the Mayor of Hoboken is a Sikh.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/14/n...-power-nj.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality