Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2019, 12:57 PM

496 posts, read 445,533 times

Advertisements

Why is it here in the United States, usually when I see a religion depicted on TV or in a movie, it's the Catholic church. Do TV or movie producers only have experience with or know people that are Catholic? I don't remember seeing a Baptist, Presbyterian, Pentecostal or anything else really in a TV show or movie. Maybe in crime dramas where they depict some crazed religious leader or something, but otherwise not really.

Anyone else notice this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2019, 04:37 PM

88,525 posts, read 84,705,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatsgoingon4 View Post
Why is it here in the United States, usually when I see a religion depicted on TV or in a movie, it's the Catholic church. Do TV or movie producers only have experience with or know people that are Catholic? I don't remember seeing a Baptist, Presbyterian, Pentecostal or anything else really in a TV show or movie. Maybe in crime dramas where they depict some crazed religious leader or something, but otherwise not really.

Anyone else notice this?
Catholicism is the largest denomination in the USA. They probably figure they're playing it safe.

But remember the TV series Amen? They were not Catholic, and the whole show was about a group of church people.

Movies like The Godfather have to have a Catholic church to make the story culturally accurate.

Now what I find unrealistic about church scenes is when the congregation is singing a hymn, and everyone sings beautifully. That ain't real.

Old 02-17-2019, 05:09 PM

50,770 posts, read 24,270,853 times
Greenleaf is certainly not catholic...it's about a Black protestant mega church

Old 02-17-2019, 08:08 PM

12,383 posts, read 8,139,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatsgoingon4 View Post

Anyone else notice this?
First because of the iconography. The priest and Catholic Church will always stand out without explanation as opposed to the Protestant Church representatives. Many shows tend to be urban based with the characters having a known immigrants past and that population is more Catholic than the general population. Even a non Latina detective in less than 10% Catholic Oklahoma on Saving Grace

However since the Father Dowling Mysteries a Catholic priest and nun amateur murder detective team, when a main character is clergy or the show is based upon a church they tend to be Protestants. Like Amen, GCB, Greenleaf, 7th Heaven, Soul Man, The Soul Man, Impastor

Old 02-17-2019, 08:48 PM

50,770 posts, read 24,270,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
First because of the iconography. The priest and Catholic Church will always stand out without explanation as opposed to the Protestant Church representatives. Many shows tend to be urban based with the characters having a known immigrants past and that population is more Catholic than the general population. Even a non Latina detective in less than 10% Catholic Oklahoma on Saving Grace

However since the Father Dowling Mysteries a Catholic priest and nun amateur murder detective team, when a main character is clergy or the show is based upon a church they tend to be Protestants. Like Amen, GCB, Greenleaf, 7th Heaven, Soul Man, The Soul Man, Impastor
Another show with a non-Catholic church presence is "God Friended Me"

Old 02-17-2019, 08:51 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,172,280 times
Catholic clergy have the best vestments and head ornaments. Instant brand identification.

Old 02-18-2019, 08:25 AM

50,087 posts, read 20,697,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post

I think you may be right. As Buster Keaton said - "You can't make a villain out of the South". The Catholic church has marketable vibes. I don't remember seeing much in the way of Protestant churches, apart from in "The Simpsons". Maybe that's the answer. You put a protestant church in there, and the Other ones will protest. Put the other ones in there, and they may be a turn off.

Old 02-18-2019, 08:36 AM

12,918 posts, read 16,856,150 times
If it's just everyday nice people at church, it's either Catholic or some undefined mainline church such as Epicopalian or United Methodist. Maybe even American Baptist.

If the person on the show is "getting religion" then it will be an undefined "Low-Church" Protestant.

Old 02-18-2019, 09:46 AM

12,383 posts, read 8,139,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
I think you may be right. As Buster Keaton said - "You can't make a villain out of the South". The Catholic church has marketable vibes. I don't remember seeing much in the way of Protestant churches, apart from in "The Simpsons". Maybe that's the answer. You put a protestant church in there, and the Other ones will protest. Put the other ones in there, and they may be a turn off.
I don't know if it the other organizations as much as the named church on a show. So you rarely get a named denomination but a non denominational church. I do remember on GCB the United Methodist Church of the first few episodes became a United Community Church in the last few episodes.

Of course the big determination will be if that religious character will have romantic entanglements as Catholic Church leader characters are often just there for the visual of confession or the uncle/brother of a main character

Old 02-18-2019, 09:58 AM

88,525 posts, read 84,705,921 times
At all TV funerals they read the 23rd Psalm, so that can be any generic Christian denomination.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality