Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2019, 12:53 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,598,889 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeelaMonster View Post
I don't know if you touched a nerve, but you definitely failed in reaching for that analogy. Hot stoves, busy streets and mean dogs are all real, and it helps keep a child safe to know about them, and know how to deal with them. Hell, OTOH, is a man-made concept... constructed to keep people in line, force them to lead good lives, explain the unexplainable, whatever. Hell has no basis in reality, and no reason to be dealt with. Apples to oranges.

[ETA: Sorry, I hadn't seen Petunia's reply, which said the same thing. But will let this stand as reinforcement. It's a crappy, disingenuous analogy.]
And the reason is right in his name. BaptistFundie. What more needs to be said. It's the colored lens that he and his ilk see the world as.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2019, 10:51 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,265,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
What makes those religions, and parents, think they need to indoctrinate a child, a CHILD!, and that early age.
I can only come to the conclusion that those parents are damaged. What else could it be?

Old 02-28-2019, 10:53 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,265,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeelaMonster View Post
I don't know if you touched a nerve, but you definitely failed in reaching for that analogy. Hot stoves, busy streets and mean dogs are all real, and it helps keep a child safe to know about them, and know how to deal with them. Hell, OTOH, is a man-made concept... constructed to keep people in line, force them to lead good lives, explain the unexplainable, whatever. Hell has no basis in reality, and no reason to be dealt with. Apples to oranges.

Old 03-01-2019, 03:11 AM

23,173 posts, read 10,463,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Wow. Touched a nerve, did I?

I suppose you don't believe in warning a kid about things like a hot stove, busy streets, and mean dogs, either? I know those might scare the kid. But we can also teach people how to deal with unpleasant things and how to be saved from them.
Child abuse is child abuse, innocent Christian mothers who have all the good intentions of the world seriously abuse they children by teaching their children hell, if that is not abuse, I don't know what is, and although the woman should be aware, that is just not how society works yet, but no child should be taught the bible. They might be told stories, but to brainwash a child to put him in terror EVERY DAY IS TERROR.

Old 03-01-2019, 03:12 AM

23,173 posts, read 10,463,936 times
Some children REALLY believe what their parents say about the bible and the wicked, and they believe WAY MORE than the parent. A child hears what the parents say when the parents speak of Atheists and people who they assume are going to an eternal hell.

Old 03-01-2019, 04:09 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,591,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
Some children REALLY believe what their parents say about the bible and the wicked, and they believe WAY MORE than the parent. A child hears what the parents say when the parents speak of Atheists and people who they assume are going to an eternal hell.
Some children REALLY believe what their parents say about the bible and the wicked, and they believe WAY MORE than the parent. A child hears what the parents say when the parents speak of theists and people who they assume are going to be unjust-believers.

hmmmmm ... now how do i tell who is worse?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality