Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2019, 09:54 AM

8,673 posts, read 3,874,206 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
I did.

It was mostly about you and your feelings.

Exactly
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2019, 12:04 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,641,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
She has had that conversation a number of times. This is an ongoing issue, in fact, I had a brief discussion with him before Christmas trying to explain that people have different believes, but that doesn't mean they are true. Try telling a 7 year old that and make sense. I don't think my discussion helped, and it was brief.
He's 7; who is his ultimate authority? Mom? Dad? Have that person sit down with him and state "No, you are not going to hell; I said so". This approach reassured my son at the same age that all was well.

Last edited by Petunia 100; 02-22-2019 at 12:16 PM..

Old 02-22-2019, 12:17 PM

50,837 posts, read 24,347,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
I would say that even if we granted for the sake of argument that both Christianity and the hell doctrine were true (about 25% of Christians subscribe to Universalism instead), it would still be unacceptable for a 7-year old to be talking about hell. Far more so than kids talking about sex or other explicit things that could do them harm in the future. And it shouldn't be problematic for a Christian to accept this, since they tend to believe that children of that age aren't at risk of going to hell anyway. Not until they reach something like 12 years old, I hear.

But of course, what I think they should adopt instead is Universalism. It seems more consistent with the rest of their doctrines and, obviously, avoids this whole issue of "scare tactics".
Just to clarify, when you use the term "their", you mean christians in general and of all ages?

Old 02-22-2019, 12:39 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 10 days ago)

35,635 posts, read 17,982,736 times
The idea, that the government should restrain parents from passing on their deeply held religious beliefs to their children is terrifying to me.

What is being dismissed here, that's really important, is the parents passionately believe what they are teaching their children. To tell them they couldn't pass on this information and lifestyle to their children is tantamount, truthfully, from barring parents from telling their kids not to eat mistletoe or play in the streets.

Children who have strong imaginations are terrified of things, OP. If not someone else's God, he'd likely be terrified of the house burning down or his mother dying.

7 is the age where fear and anxiety grips a lot of kids.

I suspect this will not be the only, or the greatest source of extreme anxiety for your grandchild, and suggest you develop strategies to help him calm his fears, other than wanting to pass laws barring parents from teaching their beliefs to their children.

How would your grandchild handle it if he became close friends with, say, the child of a doomsday prepper? Would you seek to legally block those parents from passing on their belief that they must be prepared for a very serious disaster?

Last edited by ClaraC; 02-22-2019 at 12:51 PM..

Old 02-22-2019, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
He's 7; who is his ultimate authority? Mom? Dad? Have that person sit down with him and state "No, you are not going to hellâ€.
That’s just way too much common sense. It’s an excellent teaching opportunity - to explain there is no hell.

Old 02-22-2019, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
The idea, that the government should restrain parents from passing on their deeply held religious beliefs to their children is terrifying to me.

What is being dismissed here, that's really important, is the parents passionately believe what they are teaching their children. To tell them they couldn't pass on this information and lifestyle to their children is tantamount, truthfully, from barring parents from telling their kids not to eat mistletoe or play in the streets.

Children who have strong imaginations are terrified of things, OP. If not someone else's God, he'd likely be terrified of the house burning down or his mother dying.

7 is the age where fear and anxiety grips a lot of kids.

I suspect this will not be the only, or the greatest source of extreme anxiety for your grandchild, and suggest you develop strategies to help him calm his fears, other than wanting to pass laws barring parents from teaching their beliefs to their children.

How would your grandchild handle it if he became close friends with, say, the child of a doomsday prepper? Would you seek to legally block those parents from passing on their belief that they must be prepared for a very serious disaster?
I tend to agree with your conclusion, but not with your way of getting there.

When you say, "What is being dismissed here, that's really important, is the parents passionately believe what they are teaching their children". I'm sure that parents who beat their children passionately believe what they are teaching their children. Same for incest. Same for racism.

Old 02-22-2019, 01:22 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 10 days ago)

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post

When you say, "What is being dismissed here, that's really important, is the parents passionately believe what they are teaching their children". I'm sure that parents who beat their children passionately believe what they are teaching their children. Same for incest. Same for racism.
Well, you can't beat your kids or have sex with them.

But you certainly - legally - can pass any racist views you have on to your children, or any other deeply held belief you have.

Old 02-22-2019, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Well, you can't beat your kids or have sex with them.

But you certainly - legally - can pass any racist views you have on to your children, or any other deeply held belief you have.
So you claim that there are not children who are beaten or sexually abused? And you claim that those parents aren't doing what they think is right?

Old 02-22-2019, 01:25 PM

Quote:
So you claim that there are not children who are beaten or sexually abused? And you claim that those parents aren't doing what they think is right?
No, I didn't say that. I said you can't. Legally. Beat your children or have sex with them.

Please don't purposely try to misunderstand what I'm saying, or this conversation will go nowhere.

And "doing what you think is right" vs. "telling your children things you believe to be true" are two very very different things.

Old 02-22-2019, 01:51 PM

Quote:

I agree parents believe what they are teaching their children is ‘true’ - which is why it’s so important for us to teach (and spread knowledge) about atheism. And equality.

To suggest it is comparable to incest, however, is absurd - and does nothing but cheapen our argument.

Last edited by CorporateCowboy; 02-22-2019 at 02:39 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality