Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2019, 07:53 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 1 day ago)

35,582 posts, read 17,927,273 times

Advertisements

I wish you all well.

I'm about out of this thread.

Again, how stupid would I have to be, when calling on Jesus for help, and not realizing that I get answers every time?

And no, I don't think I'm better than starving children.

Best wishes to all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2019, 07:54 PM

7,588 posts, read 4,156,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
He was told he could believe in anything he wants to, including a god, if that would make him feel better. Which is exactly the way his mother and uncle were raised. Try not to be too sanctimonious.
Eh. Lots of sanctimonious comments on this thread including your thread title.

Old 02-22-2019, 07:55 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 1 day ago)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
So you are super special to Jesus. That's nice. (Really). Little children who die of starvation, or disease, or are raped, or sold into slavery, are not at all special to Jesus. He doesn't lift a finger to help them. How do you reconcile that?
I don't know how to fully reconcile that. I'm not your teacher, Petunia. You have to figure this out for yourself.

I think they're in a better place.

Truly.

I think we're on this earth temporarily, that our spirits inhabit a body, and then go on to a better place.

You can be ugly about that, and ridicule me, but that's what I think. And I think I'm headed for a better place, as I think almost all of us are, whether they are believers in Jesus or not, based on how others in near death experiences describe it. Most, in virtual death experiences, have a very very positive experience. A few seem to be in hell before they're pulled back by medical intervention.

*shrug* Believe it or don't.

Old 02-22-2019, 08:57 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,168,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I wish you all well.

I'm about out of this thread.

Again, how stupid would I have to be, when calling on Jesus for help, and not realizing that I get answers every time?

And no, I don't think I'm better than starving children.

Best wishes to all.
I've called out to the universe and been answered every time.

Not always the answer I wanted but, with time's perspective factored in, usually the answer I needed.

You cry to Jesus and it works.

I cry to the universe and it works.

Sometimes.

Others cry out to other entities and it works.

Sometimes.

We tend to remember the times it does, and attribute our gratitude to who/whatever we were aiming our hopes at.

Seems fair enough.

Blame for when it doesn't can be spread around.

Old 02-22-2019, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
I've called out to the universe and been answered every time.

Not always the answer I wanted but, with time's perspective factored in, usually the answer I needed.

You cry to Jesus and it works.

I cry to the universe and it works.

Sometimes.

Others cry out to other entities and it works.

Sometimes.

We tend to remember the times it does, and attribute our gratitude to who/whatever we were aiming our hopes at.

Seems fair enough.

Blame for when it doesn't can be spread around.
Exactly. EXACTLY. Not always the answer I sought, but an answer that works.

Old 02-22-2019, 11:47 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,590,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elyn02 View Post
Eh. Lots of sanctimonious comments on this thread including your thread title.
So you support Christian scare tactics to get children to comply to the celestial slavemaster the adults fantasize about?

Old 02-22-2019, 11:50 PM

50,759 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
You're saying that belief in a god is the only possible higher purpose to life. How sad that you believe that.
And here's why it's so sad. If tomorrow we actually found out that there was no god, Clara would be left with nothing to live for. It's interesting that there are millions of people in this world who don't believe in god, yet have productive and meaningful lives.

Old 02-22-2019, 11:58 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,590,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
And here's why it's so sad. If tomorrow we actually found out that there was no god, Clara would be left with nothing to live for. It's interesting that there are millions of people in this world who don't believe in god, yet have productive and meaningful lives.
Exactly. And if tomorrow a god all of a sudden showed itself to exist, in an unquestionable and verifiable way, most atheist would say, "Hm, guess those believers were right." Just like when we found out that there is water on the moon.

Old 02-23-2019, 12:45 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,016,467 times
Quote:
Exactly. And if tomorrow a god all of a sudden showed itself to exist, in an unquestionable and verifiable way, most atheist would say, "Hm, guess those believers were right." Just like when we found out that there is water on the moon.
Water on the moon?...

Old 02-23-2019, 05:22 AM

7,588 posts, read 4,156,645 times
Quote:
So you support Christian scare tactics to get children to comply to the celestial slavemaster the adults fantasize about?
No.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality