Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2019, 09:26 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 10 days ago)

35,635 posts, read 17,982,736 times

Advertisements

This just crossed my facebook feed. Perfect. I love this, so well said.

https://www.facebook.com/StPetersEpi...p&__tn__=EHH-R
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2019, 09:56 AM

50,837 posts, read 24,347,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Hmmmm….so if it's up to us humans, what's the point of praying?

I have been asking that question for five decades.

In re Clara's Facebook post...Millions of people have been praying for peace and justice for hundreds of years. He hears those prayers? And yet we don't have peace and justice.

Old 02-24-2019, 10:04 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,207,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post

In re Clara's Facebook post...Millions of people have been praying for peace and justice for hundreds of years. He hears those prayers? And yet we don't have peace and justice.
Well, you know, sometimes the answer is Maybe, Not Yet or just plain No .

So I'd guess ya' just keep praying but with your fingers crossed and holding onto your lucky rabbits foot.

Old 02-24-2019, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Well, you know, sometimes the answer is Maybe, Not Yet or just plain No .

So I'd guess ya' just keep praying but with your fingers crossed and holding onto your lucky rabbits foot.
Exactly. It gets down to the "Well god works in mysterious ways" excuse.

Old 02-24-2019, 11:22 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 10 days ago)

35,635 posts, read 17,982,736 times
Quote:

If they were praying with their hands and feet, and working toward peace, then maybe?

As they say, God doesn't call the equipped. He equips the called.

So if you're doing the work of the Lord, expect miracles to accompany your efforts.

Sitting in a church and praying fervently for peace is probably not going to be successful. Praying for guidance and help with creating peace is very, very likely to be effective.

In my experience, when I'm trying to do the Lord's work, doors open. Supplies arrive.

Old 02-24-2019, 12:54 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,393,070 times
Quote:
Exactly. It gets down to the "Well god works in mysterious ways" excuse.
I don't see one thing that happens in this world...call it God if you want, that is mysterious in any way;
the good, the bad, or the ugly.

Trump being elected gave me pause, I must say...then it was all clear.

Old 02-24-2019, 12:57 PM

1,379 posts, read 1,761,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I'm not sure I've ever read anything quite that arrogant in my life.

If I wrote out my experiences here, which I'm not going to do because these are intimate and special to me and I'm not stupid enough to be that vulnerable, I think every single person here would at the very least, say "well, I do understand now why you believe".

edited to add: I'm not completely sure about Allah, at all. I'm not a religious historian, although I know Muslims believe in Jesus Christ of Nazareth and his brother John the Baptist. As I understand it, they believe John was the more powerful and gifted prophet, and Jesus the lesser, although they have great reverence for him. I don't know where Allah comes from, exactly, and their tradition, and what they expect from Allah.
Oh I'm sorry, was the truth of what I said too much for you? Were your religious beliefs offended? Were your "special and intimate" beliefs offended? Address the reasons why the Muslim prayers are getting answered and the other groups. Every religious person I bet thinks their beliefs are intimate and personal. That doesn't mean they are rooted in reality outside your brain.

Old 02-24-2019, 01:11 PM

Quote:
If they were praying with their hands and feet, and working toward peace, then maybe? If everybody is getting it done through human efforts, god's out of the equation

As they say, God doesn't call the equipped. He equips the called. A silly cliche

So if you're doing the work of the Lord, expect miracles to accompany your efforts. I'm almost 70. Haven't seen a miracle yet

Sitting in a church and praying fervently for peace is probably not going to be successful. Praying for guidance and help with creating peace is very, very likely to be effective. What did you do today (or this year) to achieve world peace?

In my experience, when I'm trying to do the Lord's work, doors open. Supplies arrive.
My answers above

Old 02-24-2019, 01:12 PM

88,605 posts, read 84,838,467 times
Quote:

Old 02-24-2019, 02:13 PM

15,862 posts, read 6,331,057 times
Quote:

We can hope.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality