Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2019, 08:53 AM

23,166 posts, read 10,459,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
You are part of the problem, not the solution. That is a horrible suggestion.Where do you think that celestial dictatorship mythology comes from and is perpetuated? Where is do think the terror of burning forever is enforced, preached, expounded on and told as the truth? What a terror religion to teach that stuff!
He is part of the problem, and the problem is ignorance of the bible, there isn't a hell, there is an outer court of Gentiles called the outer court of darkness and all those people are saved and blessed way over the life they have now, but when they find out that there are greater resurrections, they weep and gnash their teeth and it is symbolised as a hell, but they are saved. The works of each man will be tested by fire and if a person is able to stand within the flames, and his work stands in the flames, he recieves a reward, BUT EVEN THE ONES WHO BURN ARE SAVED.

Christians don't know the truth about hell because they simply don't know Judaism, they simply do not know the religion they are speaking about, or they would know the truth about hell.

I tried to commit before I was 10 because my mother taught me the bible from birth, and I was certain that if I killed myself, God would forgive me, it was my only hope.

There are plenty of scriptures showijg the least in the kingdom, and that is what hell is, being the least in the kingdom, saved, but dissappointed from the realization that they could have achieved much more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2019, 09:07 AM

7,321 posts, read 6,929,454 times
If faith in God is nothing ,why should it bother you that a child believe ? There are so many other things that people teach children that is detrimental in very serious ways , and none of them inspire a person to be a better person when no one else is looking.
Are you more deviant when no one is looking ?
Do you resent this surveillance culture developing ? cameras at the traffic lights and all the street corners and stores and people's homes.
Christians believe that God is completely aware of a persons life, inside and out .
In some cases because of the intervention God does for these folk ,because He knows what's going on and displaying particular interest in those honestly and desperately interested in Him .
If faith in God is nothing , what is there to loose? I have in my life only experienced advantage over the average person . Comfort of this relationship, intervention on my behalf, healing , guidance through life , being an asset to the community and not a liability . And most of all having the hope of an eternal home that has a greater future than the one I'm now living. My existence is not the limitations of this life . I am happier than most people have less stress and live a less complicated life .
I have known the Lord for over 60 years and things only get better .
I know God to be Just , and those that prove to be enemy to those He loves will get the consequences they deserve . What, you don't require justice against those the harm you or yours ? All of life has consequences . if you don't believe that you live a lie.
As a child I saw real life and real death and learned to deal with it.
Most third world countries children see more death than a action movie . Either you see it and value life less or value it more. Christians tend to value it more, due to the consequences of neglect .

Old 02-26-2019, 09:17 AM

15,862 posts, read 6,331,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
If faith in God is nothing ,why should it bother you that a child believe ? There are so many other things that people teach children that is detrimental in very serious ways , and none of them inspire a person to be a better person when no one else is looking.
Do you resent this surveillance culture developing ? cameras at the traffic lights and all the street corners and stores and people's homes.
Christians believe that God is completely aware of a persons life, inside and out .
In some cases because of the intervention God does for these folk ,because He knows what's going on and displaying particular interest in those honestly and desperately interested in Him .
If faith in God is nothing , what is there to loose? I have in my life only experienced advantage over the average person . Comfort of this relationship, intervention on my behalf, healing , guidance through life , being an asset to the community and not a liability . And most of all having the hope of an eternal home that has a greater future than the one I'm now living. My existence is not the limitations of this life . I am happier than most people have less stress and live a less complicated life .
I know God to be Just , and those that prove to be enemy to those He loves will get the consequences they deserve . What, you don't require justice against those the harm you or yours ? All of life has consequences . if you don't believe that you live a lie.
Most third world countries children see more death than a action movie . Either you see it and value life less or value it more. Christians tend to value it more, due to the consequences of neglect .
My mother told me at the age of 5 that Satan would use my father to try and draw me away from God. My father was not a Jehovah's Witness and my mother was. Why would anyone have a problem with that? 7 year olds don't have the ability to rationalize the way adults do so its completely inappropriate to go teaching them these doctrines including hell.

Old 02-26-2019, 09:29 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,397,293 times
Quote:
Silly me, I didn't take comfort and joy in the thought of billions upon billions of people, who were equally as good and kind and caring as any Christian I knew, but who didn't "believe in Jesus", being consigned to an eternity of inescapable torment. And I found it very difficult to trust myself to the hands of the same God who would make certain that others suffered forever because they weren't Christians.

As far as justice, no, I don't believe justice is about revenge and punishment, and certainly not eternal punishment with no hope of healing and change. Why do you?

Old 02-26-2019, 09:33 AM

10,800 posts, read 3,597,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
You could go to my church and a 7 year old will never hear a single mention of hell.

They sing songs like, Jesus Loves Me This I Know, 'Cause the Bible Tells Me So, This Little Light of Mine, I'm Gonna Let it Shine, Jesus Loves the Little Children, etc. They have quiet down pay attention exercises that are an echo - Leader: God is Good? Kids: All the time. Leader: All the time? Kids: God is Good.

I actually think that might be a very good suggestion - if he's CONTINUING to feel anxiety, which it sounds like he is?

Truthfully, normstad, it's time to get him help of some kind.
Truthfully, you have no idea of what you are talking about. My daughter is a professional, she provides expertise and has access to expertise you have no idea of. Leave this line of your "advice" alone... you are not qualified. Drop it.

Hymns? Maybe one would hear ones like this:

From "I asked the lord"
Instead of this He made me feel the hidden evils of my heart
And let the angry powers of Hell assault my soul in every part.
From "All we sinners"
In muck and mire our wretched souls
Had fallen to the depths below
From "There is a fountain filled with blood" (WTH??? This is something a child should hear?)
There is a fountain filled with blood
Drawn from Immanuel’s veins;
And sinners, plunged beneath that flood,
How frightening that a torture cult like christianity revels in children plunging into blood. That should help any fears a child may have.

How about hymns from that old-time religion. In this case Wesley's hymnal that Methodists used to sing?
"Ah, Lovely Appearance of Deathâ€
Ah, lovely appearance of death!
What sight upon earth is so fair?
Not all the gay pageants that breathe
Can with a dead body compare.
Please, spare us from thinking wandering into your place of worship and expect to come out enthused and relieved. Just because you and millions of your closest friends perpetuate your myths doesn't make them reality. The just make them a product of a mass delusion. The Sanskrit had them, the Persians had them, the Egyptians had them, the Greeks did, the Romans did, the Gauls did and a plethora of tribal groups have those mass delusions to this day.

That doesn't make them reality, and the fear many of those cults, including the christian, muslim and jewish ones, use to keep their followers in line with the myth needs to stop. It is abuse, and thought control.

Old 02-26-2019, 09:39 AM

Quote:

Christianity is a death cult that sees an afterlife will be exponentially better if they follow the demands (just think of what the first 3 of the 10 commandments say) of their celestial overlord and slave master. Oh, and if you don't kowtow to that entity's narcissistic demands (see those first 3 demands again), then that overlord will ensure you spend an eternity in a place that tortures you in the most unimaginable ways.

Hard to see how that gives you comfort.

And frightening to young children when they are told this again and again. It is child abuse to teach your child that, and the negative effects go beyond your child, as they castigate their friends and frighten them if they are not of the same adherents to the myths.

It's just wrong to involve children in this.

Old 02-26-2019, 09:41 AM

15,862 posts, read 6,331,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
Silly me, I didn't take comfort and joy in the thought of billions upon billions of people, who were equally as good and kind and caring as any Christian I knew, but who didn't "believe in Jesus", being consigned to an eternity of inescapable torment. And I found it very difficult to trust myself to the hands of the same God who would make certain that others suffered forever because they weren't Christians.

As far as justice, no, I don't believe justice is about revenge and punishment, and certainly not eternal punishment with no hope of healing and change. Why do you?
That's where it fell apart for me too. I didn't see the myself as being any more deserving. We're talking about eternal life or eternal destruction. The evidence for who was and who wasn't should be obvious and it wasn't. I just figured I was a them because I couldn't see it.

High five to us(and anyone else) for making it through that without dehumanizing the "others". They told me that was what was wrong with me and I say that's what is right with me.

Old 02-26-2019, 10:26 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 10 days ago)

35,636 posts, read 17,982,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
Truthfully, you have no idea of what you are talking about. My daughter is a professional, she provides expertise and has access to expertise you have no idea of. Leave this line of your "advice" alone... you are not qualified. Drop it.

Hymns? Maybe one would hear ones like this:

From "I asked the lord"
Instead of this He made me feel the hidden evils of my heart
And let the angry powers of Hell assault my soul in every part.
From "All we sinners"
In muck and mire our wretched souls
Had fallen to the depths below
From "There is a fountain filled with blood" (WTH??? This is something a child should hear?)
There is a fountain filled with blood
Drawn from Immanuel’s veins;
And sinners, plunged beneath that flood,
How frightening that a torture cult like christianity revels in children plunging into blood. That should help any fears a child may have.

How about hymns from that old-time religion. In this case Wesley's hymnal that Methodists used to sing?
"Ah, Lovely Appearance of Death”
Ah, lovely appearance of death!
What sight upon earth is so fair?
Not all the gay pageants that breathe
Can with a dead body compare.
Please, spare us from thinking wandering into your place of worship and expect to come out enthused and relieved. Just because you and millions of your closest friends perpetuate your myths doesn't make them reality. The just make them a product of a mass delusion. The Sanskrit had them, the Persians had them, the Egyptians had them, the Greeks did, the Romans did, the Gauls did and a plethora of tribal groups have those mass delusions to this day.

That doesn't make them reality, and the fear many of those cults, including the christian, muslim and jewish ones, use to keep their followers in line with the myth needs to stop. It is abuse, and thought control.
For what it's worth, you're the one telling people how to think, not me. I'm telling you how I think, and that I have a right to teach my children that, and I have a right to speak it.

I've said it's not material to me if you believe my experiences, I'm not here to force you to adopt my way of thinking, as you are trying to do to me.

And BTW, I've never heard of those songs you mention. Too busy singing "Softly and Tenderly Jesus is Calling".

Last edited by ClaraC; 02-26-2019 at 10:54 AM..

Old 02-26-2019, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
For what it's worth, you're the one telling people how to think, not me. I'm telling you how I think, and that I have a right to teach my children that, and I have a right to speak it.

I've said it's not material to me if you believe my experiences, I'm not here to force you to adopt my way of thinking, as you are trying to do to me.

And BTW, I've never heard of those songs you mention. Too busy singing "Softly and Tenderly Jesus is Calling".
Unfortunately, you are right, you can teach your children whatever belief system you want. You also have the right to use corporal punishment. Having a right doesn't make it morally right or even ethical. Teaching children to live in fear of eternal punishment because your celestial slave master deems they are not worthy if they don't worship that slave master is what? Developing the child? For what?

You may have the right, but it is wrong to use that fear to enforce a worship to a narcissistic, abusive entity. Just remember the first 3 commandments if you don't think the entity isn't narcissistic. it's all about "me, me, me". And if you don't give enough deference, that entity is going to use the powerful evil entity it created to punish, torment and torture forever.

A cult with an abusive teaching. No, ma'am, no thank you. I want nothing to do with that kind of cultish thinking. I want nothing to do with a blood and torture cult that displays the instrument of torture prominently and things that is OK.

Old 02-26-2019, 12:08 PM

63,819 posts, read 40,109,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
Amen. I remain utterly astonished that anyone could ever rationalize such inhumanity for ANY reasons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality