Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2019, 12:30 PM

6,222 posts, read 4,013,181 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
Unfortunately, you are right, you can teach your children whatever belief system you want. You also have the right to use corporal punishment. Having a right doesn't make it morally right or even ethical. Teaching children to live in fear of eternal punishment because your celestial slave master deems they are not worthy if they don't worship that slave master is what? Developing the child? For what?

You may have the right, but it is wrong to use that fear to enforce a worship to a narcissistic, abusive entity. Just remember the first 3 commandments if you don't think the entity isn't narcissistic. it's all about "me, me, me". And if you don't give enough deference, that entity is going to use the powerful evil entity it created to punish, torment and torture forever.

A cult with an abusive teaching. No, ma'am, no thank you. I want nothing to do with that kind of cultish thinking.
I want nothing to do with a blood and torture cult that displays the instrument of torture prominently and things that is OK.
Is anyone pressuring you to join somewhere/anywhere?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2019, 01:37 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,597,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabfest View Post
Is anyone pressuring you to join somewhere/anywhere?
I guess you missed that we happen to live in the buckle of the bible belt in our area. The christian privilege is all around us, and we can't avoid it. The pressure is always there. A public meal? No one questions the babbling of some invocation to have a celestial entity or it's offspring conceived by an unwanted sexual tryst to in some magical way impact the food presented. Ask for a secular invocation and you are viewed as some strange entity. Christian privilege is always present.

We may not be forced, but we sure can't avoid the impact. Keep your myths in your head, home or the nearest place of worship, whether it is a church, temple, mosque or coven. It is not needed in the public sphere.

But I bet you don't get that, do you, because it's something you just accept as normal.

Old 02-26-2019, 02:01 PM

6,222 posts, read 4,013,181 times
Quote:
I guess you missed that we happen to live in the buckle of the bible belt in our area. The christian privilege is all around us, and we can't avoid it. The pressure is always there. A public meal? No one questions the babbling of some invocation to have a celestial entity or it's offspring conceived by an unwanted sexual tryst to in some magical way impact the food presented. Ask for a secular invocation and you are viewed as some strange entity. Christian privilege is always present.

We may not be forced, but we sure can't avoid the impact. Keep your myths in your head, home or the nearest place of worship, whether it is a church, temple, mosque or coven. It is not needed in the public sphere.

But I bet you don't get that, do you, because it's something you just accept as normal.
I accept diversity as normal and I try to make my own self happy.

Old 02-26-2019, 02:28 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 10 days ago)

35,635 posts, read 17,982,736 times
Quote:
Unfortunately, you are right, you can teach your children whatever belief system you want. You also have the right to use corporal punishment. Having a right doesn't make it morally right or even ethical. Teaching children to live in fear of eternal punishment because your celestial slave master deems they are not worthy if they don't worship that slave master is what? Developing the child? For what?

You may have the right, but it is wrong to use that fear to enforce a worship to a narcissistic, abusive entity. Just remember the first 3 commandments if you don't think the entity isn't narcissistic. it's all about "me, me, me". And if you don't give enough deference, that entity is going to use the powerful evil entity it created to punish, torment and torture forever.

A cult with an abusive teaching. No, ma'am, no thank you. I want nothing to do with that kind of cultish thinking. I want nothing to do with a blood and torture cult that displays the instrument of torture prominently and things that is OK.
My children weren't raised to live in fear of eternal punishment. They were raised to believe that a loving God watched over them, and they were to treat everyone with respect and love if possible. That the homeless guy on the street was just as loved by God, and deserved God's care as they did. That they have the hope of eternal blessings, and have the hope that they will see their loved ones again in spirit.

And yes, when a horrific murderer was in the news, one asked "did God create HIM too???". Yes, God did, and somehow he didn't listen to the admonition to love one another as Jesus loves him.

I don't think that's a bad philosophy to grow up with.

Old 02-26-2019, 04:14 PM

7,596 posts, read 4,165,130 times
Quote:

Why do you stay in such a place? I left that kind of environment only to find myself in a place with a new kind of privilege (that I still don't benefit from) and a new thing to be afraid of.

When you say "the pressure is always there" you seemed concerned about losing some kind of status in your community.

Old 02-26-2019, 06:06 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 10 days ago)

35,635 posts, read 17,982,736 times
So. At this point, the OP is not answering how the grandchild is doing at this point, and from what I can tell from this thread, I'm the only one saying his reaction is unexpected and he deserves and needs at the very least, advise from a therapist on how to deal with his strong reaction.

I do have experience in the area of anxiety, and I believe if this child is still obviously distressed, help for him is essential. Help beyond cursing Christians under your breath.

With anxiety, if you don't check it, it will "metastasize" to other areas of the brain. A child who is afraid of hell will become afraid of fire, or the bus where he heard about hell, or will become very focused on his own mortality and will hyper focus on not getting sick, etc.

With someone experiencing anxiety, they are then likely to avoid anything that might cause them further anxiety, and the anxiety spreads out, and out, and out like a pebble in the pond affect and finally, the person is rendered disabled.

When a sudden anxiety/phobia develops, it needs to be nipped THERE. No further accommodations to the fear should be taken - the child should still ride the bus, we're still going to cook with flame in the kitchen, don't wash your hands excessively. Because quickly, the child will be unable to perform normal functions of life.

This is the truth.

Can someone the OP believes just acknowledge this, and back me up here? This OP is disregarding anything I have to say, which I get, but meanwhile IF the grandchild is still experiencing trauma it's highly likely the family is making accommodations to keep the child from panicking, and this will cause the anxiety to take off like wildfire and consume the child and the family.

A little help here?

If the grandchild has returned to his usually happy self, then, never mind.

Old 02-26-2019, 10:41 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,597,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
So. At this point, the OP is not answering how the grandchild is doing at this point, and from what I can tell from this thread, I'm the only one saying his reaction is unexpected and he deserves and needs at the very least, advise from a therapist on how to deal with his strong reaction.

I do have experience in the area of anxiety, and I believe if this child is still obviously distressed, help for him is essential. Help beyond cursing Christians under your breath.

With anxiety, if you don't check it, it will "metastasize" to other areas of the brain. A child who is afraid of hell will become afraid of fire, or the bus where he heard about hell, or will become very focused on his own mortality and will hyper focus on not getting sick, etc.

With someone experiencing anxiety, they are then likely to avoid anything that might cause them further anxiety, and the anxiety spreads out, and out, and out like a pebble in the pond affect and finally, the person is rendered disabled.

When a sudden anxiety/phobia develops, it needs to be nipped THERE. No further accommodations to the fear should be taken - the child should still ride the bus, we're still going to cook with flame in the kitchen, don't wash your hands excessively. Because quickly, the child will be unable to perform normal functions of life.

This is the truth.

Can someone the OP believes just acknowledge this, and back me up here? This OP is disregarding anything I have to say, which I get, but meanwhile IF the grandchild is still experiencing trauma it's highly likely the family is making accommodations to keep the child from panicking, and this will cause the anxiety to take off like wildfire and consume the child and the family.

A little help here?

Drop it. You have no expertise in these matters; my daughter IS an expert dealing with special education children and has access to other experts in the school system that could be required.

Drop your analysing as you're discussing something you have no expertise in. You are completely out of line, as you have been told this before, and you keep trying to get back on that pony. Just drop it, and quit pretending that your christian butt is doing anything but being argumentative.

Old 02-26-2019, 11:30 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,391,422 times
Quote:

This is the truth.

A little help here?

Sorry. The best I can "agree" on is that therapy could help this child. But only in the same way that therapy could help every single one of us. That is, when faced with a distressing situation we might turn to therapy. It doesn't mean there's anything wrong with us or that our reaction to whatever it was that caused the distress was out of the ordinary.

Old 02-26-2019, 11:38 PM

3,631 posts, read 7,674,144 times
Quote:

This is the truth.

A little help here?

I do believe from personal experience with anxiety that you are right on the money regarding how it can become all consuming if not properly addressed.

Old 02-26-2019, 11:39 PM

50,837 posts, read 24,347,720 times
Quote:
Drop it. You have no expertise in these matters; my daughter IS an expert dealing with special education children and has access to other experts in the school system that could be required.

Drop your analysing as you're discussing something you have no expertise in. You are completely out of line, as you have been told this before, and you keep trying to get back on that pony. Just drop it, and quit pretending that your christian butt is doing anything but being argumentative.
Unless I missed it, Clara has yet to tell us what that expertise is. Why?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality