Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2019, 02:26 AM

7,593 posts, read 4,165,130 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
Sorry. The best I can "agree" on is that therapy could help this child. But only in the same way that therapy could help every single one of us. That is, when faced with a distressing situation we might turn to therapy. It doesn't mean there's anything wrong with us or that our reaction to whatever it was that caused the distress was out of the ordinary.
The need for therapy would be a sign that the reaction needs to be dealt with and so out of the ordinary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2019, 02:55 AM

6,486 posts, read 6,391,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elyn02 View Post
The need for therapy would be a sign that the reaction needs to be dealt with and so out of the ordinary.
The reaction wouldn't be what was "dealt with", in therapy. Rather, the effect would be of concern. And you can't say that the reaction's out of the ordinary or excessive or whatever just by the effect.

Old 02-27-2019, 03:22 AM

Quote:
The reaction wouldn't be what was "dealt with", in therapy. Rather, the effect would be of concern. And you can't say that the reaction's out of the ordinary or excessive or whatever just by the effect.
I agree, the reaction would not be the focus but it is the observable behavior that we rely on to determine if something needs to be done or not.

Old 02-27-2019, 03:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
So. At this point, the OP is not answering how the grandchild is doing at this point, and from what I can tell from this thread, I'm the only one saying his reaction is unexpected and he deserves and needs at the very least, advise from a therapist on how to deal with his strong reaction.

I do have experience in the area of anxiety, and I believe if this child is still obviously distressed, help for him is essential. Help beyond cursing Christians under your breath.

With anxiety, if you don't check it, it will "metastasize" to other areas of the brain. A child who is afraid of hell will become afraid of fire, or the bus where he heard about hell, or will become very focused on his own mortality and will hyper focus on not getting sick, etc.

With someone experiencing anxiety, they are then likely to avoid anything that might cause them further anxiety, and the anxiety spreads out, and out, and out like a pebble in the pond affect and finally, the person is rendered disabled.

When a sudden anxiety/phobia develops, it needs to be nipped THERE. No further accommodations to the fear should be taken - the child should still ride the bus, we're still going to cook with flame in the kitchen, don't wash your hands excessively. Because quickly, the child will be unable to perform normal functions of life.

This is the truth.

Can someone the OP believes just acknowledge this, and back me up here? This OP is disregarding anything I have to say, which I get, but meanwhile IF the grandchild is still experiencing trauma it's highly likely the family is making accommodations to keep the child from panicking, and this will cause the anxiety to take off like wildfire and consume the child and the family.

A little help here?

If the grandchild has returned to his usually happy self, then, never mind.
It seems that the OP doesn't want your help. I don't think that was the intention anyway and it is not polite to push your "help" on somebody else. The OP was here to pick a fight but then calls you argumentative once you responded not to his or her liking.

Last edited by elyn02; 02-27-2019 at 03:45 AM..

Old 02-27-2019, 03:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elyn02 View Post
I agree, the reaction would not be the focus but it is the observable behavior that we rely on to determine if something needs to be done or not.
That's all fine. I'm just saying that there's nothing necessarily wrong with this kid, and wasn't necessarily anything wrong with them before this incident so as to justify saying they reacted in an "unexpected" way.

Old 02-27-2019, 03:33 AM

Quote:
That's all fine. I'm just saying that there's nothing necessarily wrong with this kid, and wasn't necessarily anything wrong with them before this incident so as to justify saying they reacted in an "unexpected" way.
True. The original poster is really upset so we are obviously reacting to his or her emotions.

Old 02-27-2019, 05:03 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,207,141 times
The OP brought up a situation relating to religion that pi8ssed him off.
The parents apparently handled it adequately.

Clara is being ridiculously assumptive about the grandsons mental state and should maybe wander over to either the parenting or mental health forum and offer her wonderful advice to someone else there that probably doesn't need it either

Old 02-27-2019, 05:23 AM

669 posts, read 582,776 times
Switch denominations....scare technics ? Not in my denom!

Old 02-27-2019, 06:08 AM

6,222 posts, read 4,013,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Unless I missed it, Clara has yet to tell us what that expertise is. Why?
Almost everyone becomes an expert on the internet. That's why people like to randomly inject their supposed professions, experiences and/or degrees of education into conversations for no apparent reason other than hoping to be regarded as some type of expert on this or that matter.

Old 02-27-2019, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabfest View Post
Almost everyone becomes an expert on the internet. That's why people like to randomly inject their supposed professions, experiences and/or degrees of education into conversations for no apparent reason other than hoping to be regarded as some type of expert on this or that matter.
As someone with a Doctorate in Internet Professionology, I concur.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality