Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2019, 03:52 PM

7,593 posts, read 4,165,130 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Wow. Touched a nerve, did I?

I suppose you don't believe in warning a kid about things like a hot stove, busy streets, and mean dogs, either? I know those might scare the kid. But we can also teach people how to deal with unpleasant things and how to be saved from them.
Are those topics (hot stoves, busy streets and mean dogs) discussed extensively in the Bible?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2019, 04:15 PM

15,862 posts, read 6,331,057 times
Quote:

I suppose you don't believe in warning a kid about things like a hot stove, busy streets, and mean dogs, either? I know those might scare the kid. But we can also teach people how to deal with unpleasant things and how to be saved from them.
...and let them walk right over the edge of the earth too!

Old 02-27-2019, 04:18 PM

88,591 posts, read 84,838,467 times
Quote:

"Warning" a child that they will go to hell if they don't believe what they don't believe is just plain meanness. What normstad's daughter needs to warn her boy about is mean people who tell children scary things that aren't true.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 02-27-2019 at 04:26 PM..

Old 02-27-2019, 04:20 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,641,111 times
Quote:

Stoves, streets, and dogs are all real. It makes sense to teach children that a stove which is hot, a street which is busy, or a dog which is mean can be harmful. Hell is imaginary, and thus cannot harm anyone.

Old 02-27-2019, 05:33 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,195,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
Stoves, streets, and dogs are all real. It makes sense to teach children that a stove which is hot, a street which is busy, or a dog which is mean can be harmful. Hell is imaginary, and thus cannot harm anyone.
Fundies aren't invested in reality. Their wee world is bound between the covers of a mouldy old book.

Old 02-27-2019, 06:12 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,393,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Fundies aren't invested in reality. Their wee world is bound between the covers of a mouldy old book.
I just had a picture of me reading Narnia...I was in a wee world bound between the covers of an old book! Yes. I loved that world. I was happy in that world.

Old 02-27-2019, 08:18 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,195,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
I just had a picture of me reading Narnia...I was in a wee world bound between the covers of an old book! Yes. I loved that world. I was happy in that world.
I enjoyed that series too. I think reading it helped make me a better person.

I've yet to meet a fundie who's a better person because of reading the bible.

Old 02-27-2019, 10:43 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,865,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Whether or not it's actually true. Because I won't know, as no one knows for sure, in this life whether it's true.
This is basically Pascal's Wager. Generally speaking, Christian theologians have taken a pretty frowny stance on it.

Old 02-28-2019, 03:24 AM

7,593 posts, read 4,165,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
I enjoyed that series too. I think reading it helped make me a better person.

I've yet to meet a fundie who's a better person because of reading the bible.
I read that series as well. It was my escape from the religious world of fear and enablers. I still don't know who slipped that first book in my drawer which transformed my 11 year old self.

Old 02-28-2019, 11:35 AM

1,402 posts, read 477,888 times
Quote:

I don't know if you touched a nerve, but you definitely failed in reaching for that analogy. Hot stoves, busy streets and mean dogs are all real, and it helps keep a child safe to know about them, and know how to deal with them. Hell, OTOH, is a man-made concept... constructed to keep people in line, force them to lead good lives, explain the unexplainable, whatever. Hell has no basis in reality, and no reason to be dealt with. Apples to oranges.

[ETA: Sorry, I hadn't seen Petunia's reply, which said the same thing. But will let this stand as reinforcement. It's a crappy, disingenuous analogy.]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality